Gibson Brands Forums

Quincy Jones Interview

jdgm

May be deliberately controversial......McCartney the "worst bass player", Ringo couldn't play etc....

He still believes in astrology.

I'm not a fan, and even less so after reading this, which I think is self-serving BS.

Perhaps a little professional discretion might have been wiser......

http://www.vulture.com/2018/02/quincy-jones-in-conversation.html

That Paul, he never came up with any good bass lines. I guess Lennon and McCartney were lousy songwriters too. QJ did rip on Taylor Swift. Now granted The Beatles were not Classically trained musician's, but they did alright.

And this is part of what he misses. McCartney is a better songwriter than Quincy Jones. The Beatles were not trained musicians, as the most important components of pop music are the musical ideas realised by young and by definition untrained artists who don't or can't play by the rules (and who don't have to be musicians)....and so by the same definition - age, QJ is out of touch. Too old, seen/heard/done so much he is too knowledgeable.

Also, Ringo is not - never was - a jazz or orchestral drummer. Utube has Ringo tribute vids - 2 episodes at least - made by some of the music's best drummers, some of whom probably sessioned for QJ, and every one of them says Ringo is truly great. Does QJ think we can't hear?

No-one can say stuff like that and come out of it looking good. Save it for the book.

Utube has Ringo tribute vids - 2 episodes at least - made by some of the music's best drummers, some of whom probably sessioned for QJ, and every one of them says Ringo is truly great. Does QJ think we can't hear?

Here's one of them:

The Beatles may not have been "real musicians" but I think they've done okay. And Sgt. Peppers...'nuff said.

That Paul, he never came up with any good bass lines. I guess Lennon and McCartney were lousy songwriters too. QJ did rip on Taylor Swift. Now granted The Beatles were not Classically trained musician's, but they did alright.

Yeah, I'd say they did alright. :) The chord voicings used along with their songwriting skills showed their level of musicianship. Perhaps not virtuosos but definitely knowledgeable and worked well together. They took rock and roll that next step.

I know I heard Alice Cooper say that for his money Ringo was one of the finest "Pocket" drummers of all time. I did not listen to the interview because anyone with any sense would tend to disagree with his outrageous statements. Besides anyone who throws away a marriage to Peggy Lipton ain't hittin' on all cylinders.. :rolleyes:

Archived