Gibson Brands Forums

Ever Feel Like a Guitar is Jinxed? Warranty Issues and a Rant.....

thegreatgumbino

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m sorry about all the hassle 😕

Is there anyway you can talk to the dealer you bought it from and simply ask for a new one?

At this point I think that would be a reasonable request. I hope you don’t give up on Gibson as when you find “the one” it can be a guitar for life.

I’m sorry about all the hassle 😕

Is there anyway you can talk to the dealer you bought it from and simply ask for a new one?

At this point I think that would be a reasonable request. I hope you don’t give up on Gibson as when you find “the one” it can be a guitar for life.

I don't know that this is an option. The guitar was purchased in June 2016, so would think the dealer would wash his hands of it and say it's Gibson's warranty responsibility. Furthermore, the shop is no longer an authorized Gibson dealer.

No worries about giving up on Gibson. I'm hooked for sure. My new to me 2001 J50 is keeping me happy while this ordeal unfolds.

What an f**** nuisance!

Err, I would take the pickup out and any wires and connections to do with it, especially if they contact the top anywhere, and see how it goes then.

I had a nuisance buzz in one of my geetars, disappeared totally after the pickup was swapped out for a new pickup (K&K).

PITA, I know, but better than pulling the neck off and apart and removing truss rods et al.

BluesKing777.

What an f**** nuisance!

Err, I would take the pickup out and any wires and connections to do with it, especially if they contact the top anywhere, and see how it goes then.

I had a nuisance buzz in one of my geetars, disappeared totally after the pickup was swapped out for a new pickup (K&K).

PITA, I know, but better than pulling the neck off and apart and removing truss rods et al.

BluesKing777.

We started this whole process thinking the pickup/wiring was the culprit, but the local warranty shop removed everything and it was still present.

Through this process I have learned Gibson CS is very busy, difficult to get a hold of and warranty work is not a quick process. I started the second round discussion with them on 4/23. I called them again on 4/30 and they said they would initiate the RMA, and I still haven't heard back. Emails and phone messages are unreturned, so you just keep calling till you finally get ahold of someone.

It’s frustrating to read the continued news about their financial troubles and not question how the warranty process has worked thus far. I've worked for companies that were going through tough times and know that employee morale takes a hit. It's also frustrating to read comments in other threads (here or on AGF?) where folks are hesitant to send their guitars to Montana for warranty work due to the company's unclear path forward.

This was my first new Gibson guitar purchase. At the time I was in negotiations with someone on Reverb to purchase his 2012 SCSJ. I purely lucked into finding this NOS 2015 model, and figured the additional cost over the used one was a worthy investment since it had a warranty. Little did I know how much that warranty would be worth. I have spent upwards of $225 trying to get this buzz fixed. That number will grow if I am asked to pay return shipping again, though I’m hopeful they will cover shipping to Montana this time.

Honestly, I wish Gibson would just start from scratch. I'm frustrated that they didn't get it fixed the first time. I can't say I'm surprised, as I was doubtful Plek'ing it would take care of the buzz seeing that the warranty shop already leveled the frets. The fact the buzz was present the day I received it back is not a good sign for multiple reasons. The fact it wasn't fixed is contradictory with the fact that they went above and beyond addressing the couple finish issues for me (though not the bubble). However, they also sent the guitar back to me with buff "scars" where they polished the whole guitar with the buffing wheel, but didn't finish (see pics below).

When it goes back, it will be out of my hands again, and based on past shipping and turnaround times, it may be gone for another 7 weeks. That will mean it will have been in my hands for a little over two months out of the last eight. That's insane to me. I can't imagine how much money Gibson has spent on this process so far. Three trips to their authorized warranty shop for work, the labor they spent while it was in Montana, the return shipping to me. I can't imagine it's not upwards of $500 before even starting round 2.

It's ironic there is a thread on AGF about the value of new guitar warranties. I hesitate to post my thoughts and experience with this guitar because I don't want to fuel the Gibson bashing. This is the only guitar I've ever had warranty issues with, and the fact is I've come to realize over the last three years that Gibsons are the sound I've been after for a very long time. I've owned multiple Martins, Larrivees, Cole Clarks, Taylors, and Yamaha's to get to this point, and I don't see my taste changing any time soon.

Here's a couple clips of the buzz, which is best heard with headphones on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbgWPsKUD0k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzsGgv0fSmk

cZS9JJK.jpg

SZSiMWr.jpg

52EENf1.jpg

Gumbino

When I stopped by the plant a few summers ago, I mentioned to Don R. a problem with my 2015 SJSC Supreme. It was an issue related to buzzing out strings especially on the high E, G and B strings, and seemed to occur above about fret 7 or so.

He said "Don't worry -- let me know and we'll get it figured out". I thought I would let it "sit" for sometime, and get a set up done locally first. The set up only helped marginally; still have some buzzing. It's quite annoying, as this is otherwise a great playing guitar and sounds great too. Plus, it's a looker too.

It's now been well over a year since I have had the set up done but the guitar is not my go-to guitar for new ones -- I often reach for "anything but the SCSJ" due to that annoying issue.

I'll wait to hear what happens with yours first, before doing anything, and I hope it gets sorted!

Fred

Gumbino

When I stopped by the plant a few summers ago, I mentioned to Don R. a problem with my 2015 SJSC Supreme. It was an issue related to buzzing out strings especially on the high E, G and B strings, and seemed to occur above about fret 7 or so.

He said "Don't worry -- let me know and we'll get it figured out". I thought I would let it "sit" for sometime, and get a set up done locally first. The set up only helped marginally; still have some buzzing. It's quite annoying, as this is otherwise a great playing guitar and sounds great too. Plus, it's a looker too.

It's now been well over a year since I have had the set up done but the guitar is not my go-to guitar for new ones -- I often reach for "anything but the SCSJ" due to that annoying issue.

I'll wait to hear what happens with yours first, before doing anything, and I hope it gets sorted!

Fred

That’s very interesting information, Fred! I’m sorry to hear you are experiencing similar issues with your SCSJ Supreme. I too reach for anything else before the SCSJ as a result of this annoying buzz. My understanding is there were 65 of these guitars made in 2015. Makes me wonder if other owners of this model have experienced similar buzzes. Could it be they used a new or different part somewhere in the chain or was there an individual involved in the construction that strayed from standard build practices that contributes to this issue?

Maybe it's just that I'm in an irritable mood today, but I'm really getting fed up with the Gibson warranty process. I spoke with Montana on 4/23 about the fret buzz still being present upon receipt of the guitar back from them. I was told it would be prioritized and run up the flagpole. I didn't hear from them again until I contacted them on 4/30, at which time I was told a new RMA was approved and would be opened through Nashville. I have yet to hear from Nashville with the RMA. I sent Montana an email on 5/4 with the videos I posted previously in this thread demonstrating the buzz. Additionally, I uploaded two additional videos on 5/7 demonstrating the buzz is now present on the EADGB strings. The EADG strings the buzz is all the way up the neck. Today I posted an additional short video I shot on 4/1 (a few days after I received the guitar back from Gibson Montana for the first RMA process) demonstrating the buzz was present upon receipt. All three new videos have been sent to Montana.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHwOmWJLIQI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qdhcq7aMyg

Here's the clip from 4/1/18 demonstrating the buzz was present when I received it back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YErIDVIcl9U

After Fred posted about speaking to Don Ruffatto a similar issue on his SCSJ Supreme, I tried calling Don and he said he'd pass the message along, but it wasn't his to deal with. I am becoming more and more frustrated as the days progress. At what point do I need to elevate this? To whom do I elevate it to? The guitar is virtually unplayable at this point and essentially a very expensive piece of wall art.

There are some weird sympathetic resonances going on there for sure. It’s not glaringly obvious but it’s certainly not right, and is something that would drive me bats**t crazy as a player.

I really, really hope that Gibson pull this around for you. At this stage they need to just replace your guitar, in my opinion.

There are some weird sympathetic resonances going on there for sure. It’s not glaringly obvious but it’s certainly not right, and is something that would drive me bats**t crazy as a player.

I really, really hope that Gibson pull this around for you. At this stage they need to just replace your guitar, in my opinion.

I agree about the weird resonances. I can play my J50 or my $40 craigslist beater (all have the same strings) and they don't have this issue. The video clip on 4/1/18 had the strings that Gibson setup the guitar with in Montana, so it's not limited to Martin Retros. That was the local warranty repair guy's first thought, but he installed different strings on it at the shop and experienced the same thing. Doesn't matter if it's E standard or D standard tuning either.

As for replacing it, I am of the same opinion, but I don't know that is an option at this point. The fact that 3 individuals tested the guitar before sending it back to me is frustrating. Someone should have picked up on this before calling it good. Additionally, Montana should have further investigated the issue when they had it the first time after their authorized warranty shop said they couldn't figure it out.

What really sucks about this still being in limbo is all the great Gibson's I see being sold around me for great prices, and I don't have the expendable income to pick them up without selling this one. I'm over this SCSJ. I missed out on a 2012 Hummingbird TV for $2300, a 2016 J45 Vintage for $2000, and a 1953 J50 for $2900. There's currently another 1953 J50 near me for $2000. I would love to put this equity to use towards something else. It kills me to see these deals come and go.

Did they check all of the bracings? I had a guitar that had a split brace and it would buzz when played. Drove me nuts.

Supposessedly, the warranty shop and Montana verified it wasn’t a bracing issue, but who knows. I sent the guitar back to Montana last Thursday. Should arrive there tomorrow. I don’t expect any progress reports for a couple weeks minimum.

• 2 weeks later...

Heard back from Gibson Montana today and they're going to replace the guitar! Glad this is finally moving forward. They are going out of their way to make this right, and it's greatly appreciated on my part. They gave me a few outstanding options. [thumbup]

1) Rebuild a new SCSJ Supreme at an estimated 8 week lead time.

2015 SCSJ Supreme Specs

2) Choose a new guitar. I do not know for certain, but I assume these would have to be built as well at a similar lead time. "Any Square or Slope Shoulder guitar is on the table. J45’s, Hummingbirds, Songwriters, AJ or SJ’s in any current variation, with the exception of Regals, Vintage or Anniversary series."

I believe if I go this route, they will install the Trance Audio pickup system from my SCSJ in the new build. I'm very interested in getting a Hummingbird, but really lust after a True Vintage. Also, I'm not sold on the current Vintage Cherry Sunburst. I don't think there are any other non standard Hummingbirds currently in production? I have enjoyed all the AJ's I've played, but don't know that I really want to use this chance for one. Stepping down to a standard J45 seems like a waste to me.

3) They have two built SJ's in house that I could pick from that are already produced, so no customization would be possible.

First is a 2018 Southern Jumbo - again, I feel like this is a step down and not an option.

Second is a Southern Jumbo Ultimate 12 fret with torrified top:

ZCNulE6.png

The SJ Ultimate is definitely intriguing. I've not owned a 12 fret before and the few videos I can find are very promising. A little bummed that I can't swap the Trance pickup out with this one.

So, as I see it, my choices are a new SCSJ Supreme, a Hummingbird Standard potentially with the Trance Audio pickup installed, or the SJ Ultimate 12 fret. What would you do? Am I missing any current production guitars I should be considering?

If I were in your shoes I’d want something different. I’d hate to receive a new replacement only to find the buzz is inherent in the design.

Personally, the SJ Ultimate looks great to me. A Hummingbird Vintage is a very good choice, as is an AJ.

It’s GREAT news that Gibson are going to replace the guitar-after all your heartache with it, this is the best possible outcome!

Wow! Sounds like they're going above and beyond. Unfortunate the dealer couldn't handle this. But then. I guess the problem was weird and even Bozeman missed it on their first pass. I've noticed a rattle on my Ford Taurus lately.

Glad to hear that this adventure is heading to a fair conclusion. I'll muddy the waters here ... I played a 12 fret SJ Ultimate at Wildwood about a month ago and thought it the least impressive guitar I played all day, though I thought going in it was one that checked all the boxes. It just seemed to lack punch.

Heard back from Gibson Montana today and they're going to replace the guitar! Glad this is finally moving forward. They are going out of their way to make this right, and it's greatly appreciated on my part. They gave me a few outstanding options. [thumbup]

1) Rebuild a new SCSJ Supreme at an estimated 8 week lead time.

2015 SCSJ Supreme Specs

2) Choose a new guitar. I do not know for certain, but I assume these would have to be built as well at a similar lead time. "Any Square or Slope Shoulder guitar is on the table. J45’s, Hummingbirds, Songwriters, AJ or SJ’s in any current variation, with the exception of Regals, Vintage or Anniversary series."

I believe if I go this route, they will install the Trance Audio pickup system from my SCSJ in the new build. I'm very interested in getting a Hummingbird, but really lust after a True Vintage. Also, I'm not sold on the current Vintage Cherry Sunburst. I don't think there are any other non standard Hummingbirds currently in production? I have enjoyed all the AJ's I've played, but don't know that I really want to use this chance for one. Stepping down to a standard J45 seems like a waste to me.

3) They have two built SJ's in house that I could pick from that are already produced, so no customization would be possible.

First is a 2018 Southern Jumbo - again, I feel like this is a step down and not an option.

Second is a Southern Jumbo Ultimate 12 fret with torrified top:

ZCNulE6.png

The SJ Ultimate is definitely intriguing. I've not owned a 12 fret before and the few videos I can find are very promising. A little bummed that I can't swap the Trance pickup out with this one.

So, as I see it, my choices are a new SCSJ Supreme, a Hummingbird Standard potentially with the Trance Audio pickup installed, or the SJ Ultimate 12 fret. What would you do? Am I missing any current production guitars I should be considering?

I would definitely stay with the SCSJ Supreme. I have one and its tone is awesome in every way. Plus you get Waverly tuners, Advanced hide glue bracing, Trance electronics. And 14 frets is a definite plus for me.

Archived