Gibson Brands Forums

Now I've Gone And Done It....

Joe M

I posted last week about the beautiful Hummingbird Vintage that I came home with last Saturday. In my post, I mentioned that I was ready to buy a 12 fret J45 Limited (not Custom that I mistakenly thought). Well, I went back to the shop yesterday, which was my first mistake, played the 12 fret again for a long time. Again, the shop owner made me an offer I just couldn't refuse, so Gibson #2 came home with me. I have been a customer of the place for at least 15 years, so I have a great relationship with most of the guys that work there, including, especially, the owner. I had never really played a 12 fret before for any length of time till last Saturday and yesterday. Completely blown away by the sound and projection of this guitar. Sounds like no other J45 I have ever played, including several J45 True Vintages and Vintages. So now my bird has it's cousin ready to sing next to it.

So, Sal, again, if you're reading this, and you'd be so kind, let me know and I'll send you a pic so you can post it. I've given up on trying to figure out how to do it myself.... [confused]

Fantastic - look forward to see a double-shot and hear them both.

Switching is so much fun, , , and the best thinkable way to really know what the heck you got. .

A rather bold move too, if I may say so.

You live fast right now - enjoy every minute

Enjoy! I'd love a J45 12 fretter to death, but I think Gibson's bridges are a little too large and clunky and detract from the graceful look of a guitar. The 'butterbean' looking buttons can go away too. Build me one of those puppies with a rectangular bridge, oval faded celluloid buttons, and no pick guard and I'd scramble for the cash...um, I mean credit card. Might even become a 1 guitar guy. No. A 2 guitar guy. No. Never mind.

Congrats on both of your new Gibsons, Joe! I bought a 12-fretter last year and played it almost exclusively for a couple or three months......nice. But then I go the 14 fret Vintage out again and quickly understood a big difference in playability: the chunky C neck on the Vintage is soooo much more comfortable than the slim neck on the 12. Still, the short neck is a fine instrument but it has taken a backseat to the other.........almost to the point of selling the 12. I do love the compact feeling of the 12 but the thin neck does cramp my style a bit.

I wonder if you have the same circumstance: slim neck 12'er and a larger one on the Hummingbird Vintage. I honestly cannot remember what the neck was like on the HB Vintage I had some months back but I suspect the fatter neck is a spec of the Vintage series.

kVUSJI3.jpg?1

1518212135[/url]' post='1915933']

I posted last week about the beautiful Hummingbird Vintage that I came home with last Saturday. In my post, I mentioned that I was ready to buy a 12 fret J45 Limited (not Custom that I mistakenly thought). Well, I went back to the shop yesterday, which was my first mistake, played the 12 fret again for a long time. Again, the shop owner made me an offer I just couldn't refuse, so Gibson #2 came home with me. I have been a customer of the place for at least 15 years, so I have a great relationship with most of the guys that work there, including, especially, the owner. I had never really played a 12 fret before for any length of time till last Saturday and yesterday. Completely blown away by the sound and projection of this guitar. Sounds like no other J45 I have ever played, including several J45 True Vintages and Vintages. So now my bird has it's cousin ready to sing next to it.

So, Sal, again, if you're reading this, and you'd be so kind, let me know and I'll send you a pic so you can post it. I've given up on trying to figure out how to do it myself.... [confused]

Send away! Congrats!

Congrats on both of your new Gibsons, Joe! I bought a 12-fretter last year and played it almost exclusively for a couple or three months......nice. But then I go the 14 fret Vintage out again and quickly understood a big difference in playability: the chunky C neck on the Vintage is soooo much more comfortable than the slim neck on the 12. Still, the short neck is a fine instrument but it has taken a backseat to the other.........almost to the point of selling the 12. I do love the compact feeling of the 12 but the thin neck does cramp my style a bit.

I wonder if you have the same circumstance: slim neck 12'er and a larger one on the Hummingbird Vintage. I honestly cannot remember what the neck was like on the HB Vintage I had some months back but I suspect the fatter neck is a spec of the Vintage series.

kVUSJI3.jpg?1

I just compared the J45 neck to the HB, Buc. The Bird definitely has a fatter neck. Not a lot bigger, but noticeable. Since I've got medium-sized hands, either one if fine with me. Also, Buc, I noticed that your J45 has a plain TRC. Mine has "Limited" stamped on it. Sure don't know what the difference, if any, is. One of the salesguys at the shop said there were only 40 made.

Archived