Gibson Brands Forums

The BEATLES!

MrNylon

It was 54 years ago, Feb. 9, 1964 Ed Sullivan introduced on his variety show, The BEATLES! I was going on 12 years old, sitting on the floor at my grandparents house watching it. It was Great! it was of the first times I was looking forward to watching The Ed Sullivan Show.

# Metoo. I was laying on my belly with my chin in my hands right up close to the little B&W screen next to my older sister. It instantly made me a different person at 12 yrs old...and pretty much ruined my parents whole game plan.

# Metoo. I was laying on my belly with my chin in my hands right up close to the little B&W screen next to my older sister. It instantly made me a different person at 12 yrs old...and pretty much ruined my parents whole game plan.

That's funny. I was 4 and knew then that it was something big. My older siblings loved them. My Mom called it jungle music.

I remember, it was 4 years ago when they did the 50th Anniversary of the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. It was on one of the networks and I watched the whole thing at my friend Ed's house. All these other artists covered Beatles songs. Best one IMO was Dave Grohl and Jeff Lynne doing "Hey Bulldog".

I'm turning 50 in a few weeks, so I obviously was 4 yeas too late to catch the original airing. But I do have the DVD of the shows, which also include the other performers and even the commercials that aired.

It was 54 years ago, Feb. 9, 1964 Ed Sullivan introduced on his variety show, The BEATLES! I was going on 12 years old, sitting on the floor at my grandparents house watching it. It was Great! it was of the first times I was looking forward to watching The Ed Sullivan Show.

I was 14. will never forget it. I wore out MEET THE BEATLES before seeing them on tv. My dad was a country music guitar player and so was I until I heard them

I was 14, and my Mom got me out of bed, on the night of January 3rd (I had gone to bed early, as we were going to Wichita, the next

day for an orthodontist appointment), and said: Charlie, you have to come out here, and see this band from England, on TV (Jack Paar Show)).

I stumbled out to the living room, still half-asleep, and watched what was to become my favorite musical obsession, among other's, for the

rest of my life! Considering the sad state of "Rock & Roll," and even worse, "Pop" music, at that time. The Beatles, both a breath of pure Oxygen,

and a shot of pure adrenaline, in the same package! That feeling was solidified, with their appearance on Ed Sullivan, a month later.

After my Orthodontist appointment, January 4th, Mom drove me to Innes Department store (Like Macy's), and made our way up to the 2nd floor,

record department, among the excited (to say the least) hoard of teenagers already there, got a "demo" album of "Meet The Beatles" and, while

I fully expected my Mom to just wait outside the glass listening booth, while I indulged in Beatle Mania, she was having none of that, and joined me,

to listen to what all the fuss, was about. She was (almost) as big a fan, as I was, over the years to come. And, she was 55 years old, at that time!

She was one "hip" Momma!! :D

CB

My grandmother taught violin, cello and piano, she had been a child prodigie of sorts. My grandfather was a country music fan, they were to say the least, not fans of The Beatles, one day my grandmother came across my Abby Road song book, That did it! She was forevermore a steadfast Beatles fan! Soon she had fully orchestrated sheet music for all of their work from Revolver on.

Archived