Gibson Brands Forums

Way over yonder in a minor key - B.Bragg cover - J-45

flatbaroque

Lovely version, FB! I’ve heard that song played on a black nut J45 Standard more times than I can recall over the last few years-since 2014 I’ve worked as BB’s tour manager and guitar tech for his UK and Europe live work. As you probably know, he plays the same guitar as you-he strings it with 13s and downtunes a whole step. Not a flavour of setup or tuning that I can get on with, but he makes it work very well for him.

I’d love to hear your take on ‘I Ain’t Got No Home’ or ‘Eisler On The Go’, my two other favourite BB/Woody tunes, you certainly nailed Way Over Yonder!

Lovely version, FB! I’ve heard that song played on a black nut J45 Standard more times than I can recall over the last few years-since 2014 I’ve worked as BB’s tour manager and guitar tech for his UK and Europe live work. As you probably know, he plays the same guitar as you-he strings it with 13s and downtunes a whole step. Not a flavour of setup or tuning that I can get on with, but he makes it work very well for him.

I’d love to hear your take on ‘I Ain’t Got No Home’ or ‘Eisler On The Go’, my two other favourite BB/Woody tunes, you certainly nailed Way Over Yonder!

Cheers mate!I got a kick out of your comment.Made my day.

Yea I realised he tuned down a step when I was trying to play along to one of his videos.My favourite online performance of this by Billy is in a radio studio.Maybe it's breakfast radio.He looks a bit tired and fingerpicks it.Lovely performance.

There are at least three "fellowes of the black nut" on the forum.Bluesking 777 and Eminor7 both have one.I bought mine in Tokyo in 2010.I probably got to play at least 10 before I picked it.Used but mint.So it's a good one.To try as many in Oz I'd probably have to travel across 3 states.

Will check out your song suggestions.

Archived