Gibson Brands Forums

New Flying V

IanHenry

I had to check to make sure it wasn't April the first when I saw this:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/gibson-modern-flying-v-guitar-officially-announced?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=21132&utm_term=1255092&utm_content=375136

And the price is a little optimistic. I wonder who buys these weird and wonderful (or not) new ideas?

Ian

I don't mind the shape of the body of the new V. It's OK, I suppose, for those folk who dislike the extreme style of 'pointy' guitars.

I'm less convinced the headstock shape works that well with it, though, and the small-block inlays are perhaps a bit too 'Norlinesque' to be thought cutting-edge...

Pip.

Well, whatever! [rolleyes] Gibson, IMHO, should stick to the designs they are best known for, rather than trying to be LTD, or Schecter, etc. Stick to making the BEST versions of the "Tried and True! It seems, most Gibson owners, are pretty much "old school," and love those traditional designs, flawed as some might be? (Headstock angle, etc.) And, at that price, NO WAY! BUT, that's just MY somewhat conservative "Luddite" opinion, and you know what they say about "opinions!" [flapper][biggrin]

CB

1518795260[/url]' post='1917363']

I don't mind the shape of the body of the new V. It's OK, I suppose, for those folk who dislike the extreme style of 'pointy' guitars.

I'm less convinced the headstock shape works that well with it, though, and the small-block inlays are perhaps a bit too 'Norlinesque' to be thought cutting-edge...

Pip.

That's what I was thinking. I actually love the body shape but that headstock doesn't work with it. Needs dot inlays too. Very Star Trek looking other then that and I loved the Original Star Trek series.

I like it, not digging the small block inlays on a "modern" guitar.

The price is way too steep.

Something I do not get is reactions by people that assume this guitar is replacing the original and '67 flying Vs...same with Les Pauls, they will see a weird one-off Custom Shop Les Paul and people immediately cry and whine that that's not the way a Les Paul should be.

I like it, not digging the small block inlays on a "modern" guitar.

The price is way too steep.

Something I do not get is reactions by people that assume this guitar is replacing the original and '67 flying Vs...same with Les Pauls, they will see a weird one-off Custom Shop Les Paul and people immediately cry and whine that that's not the way a Les Paul should be.

I don't think anyone has said that?

Ian

I had to check to make sure it wasn't April the first when I saw this:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/gibson-modern-flying-v-guitar-officially-announced?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=21132&utm_term=1255092&utm_content=375136

And the price is a little optimistic. I wonder who buys these weird and wonderful (or not) new ideas?

Ian

Oh dear. Not for me. Not even if it was $100.

Imagine for a moment Gibson has never released the original Flying V....and just now they suddenly release that 1950's guitar for the first time. What would we make of it?

Having said that, there's no way known I will ever even pick the new one up of a stand in store...but horses for courses.

The first Flying V I ever saw was played by Andy Powell of Wishbone Ash so I poked around a little bit and found Albert King played one (and Dave Davies, Keith Richards, Lonnie Mack, etc.).

I just thought they were the coolest thing ever and, being a dopey kid, was sure that they must have some sort of magical powers, ha, ha.

When you're in Junior High School anything seems plausible.

It's possible this rounded, asymmetrical V guitar will inspire a new generation of budding guitarists, who knows. It's got that rocket ship, Star Trek Next Generation thing going for it.

Aside from the price tag I don't think it's aimed at someone my age (counting down the months to retirement).

How would the 50s Flying V be received if it was freshly introduced today?

Assuming no one else had thought of the shape it would probably be ridiculed and seen as a desperation move.

Yep, that's kinda of what I was thinking Steve. Imagine too that Gibson had responded to the Tele and Strat with the SG back in the 50's and the LP was just introduced for the first time today - maybe we'd be like "what kind of high school woodwork class abortion is that thing?" [laugh]

At about 1:15 you can see Simon Nicol playing a guitar shaped like a Kellog's Cornflakes box. I just got RT live at Rockaplast for Xmas and watched one of the DVD's the other day and low and behold that beauty was being played. But you might as well listen to the whole thing cause it's Richard Thompson.

https://www.bing.com...31407&FORM=VIRE

Richard Thompson! i'd listen if he was playing a plastic, hello kitty guitar.

Archived