Gibson Brands Forums

New Flying V

IanHenry

... there may be good news for the 100 plus year-old-company, as CNN reporter Sam Meredith reported that, "On Thursday, Gibson issued a statement that said an ongoing streamlining strategy would soon help it record the "best financial results the company has seen in its history within the next year."

It also said the firm would have the ability to pay back the company's debt in whole within seven years."

I stole this from another forum...

image.jpg

Ah ha!!! now it makes sense. Shortly the new V will start appearing in colours that match the uniforms of the Star Trek crew. They will then be marketed to the tens of millions of Trekkies globally who have been pre-conditioned to collecting Trek related merchandise for decades, and thus resolve all Gibsons financial issues once and for all. Credit where its due - sheer genius Mr J ! [thumbup]

Ah ha!!! now it makes sense. Shortly the new V will start appearing in colours that match the uniforms of the Star Trek crew. They will then be marketed to the tens of millions of Trekkies globally who have been pre-conditioned to collecting Trek related merchandise for decades, and thus resolve all Gibsons financial issues once and for all. Credit where its due - sheer genius Mr J ! [thumbup]

Just make sure you don't get a red one :)

While it definitely does look like the Star Trek badge.. Theres a more obvious influence I think

3W2ZI1e.jpg

Yea, but back when I saw this guitar my first thought was that it was a variation of a Gibson Flying V.

The George Lynch V is even closer.

How would the 50s Flying V be received if it was freshly introduced today?

Assuming no one else had thought of the shape it would probably be ridiculed and seen as a desperation move.

Mm, but they're need to get out of debt now, not in 40 years' time.

But yeah - if you'd never seen a Flying V before, and saw one next to the Star Trek V, you'd probably think the Flying V looked weirder. It's just that we were conditioned by Judas Priest, Michael Schenker and Accept.

It's just that we were conditioned by Judas Priest, Michael Schenker and Accept.

For me, I saw a Flying V before then. Dave Davies, Jimi Hendrix, Lonnie Mack, Paul Stanley, Albert King to name a few. I wanted a Flying V since the mid-70's and got one in 1984.

For me, I saw a Flying V before then. Dave Davies, Jimi Hendrix, Lonnie Mack, Paul Stanley, Albert King to name a few. I wanted a Flying V since the mid-70's and got one in 1984.

I was late getting into Vs. I remember playing the occasional Rhoads and thinking, no, you can't play it sitting down.

It only took me decades to realize how to sit with a V. Now I think they're the most comfortable guitars to play sitting down. Except perhaps for Explorers, but to me, they're so linked to this one player that it's a tad uncomfortable. Nothing against Hetfield, but he's not been much of a songwriter for ages now.

I was late getting into Vs. I remember playing the occasional Rhoads and thinking, no, you can't play it sitting down.

It only took me decades to realize how to sit with a V. Now I think they're the most comfortable guitars to play sitting down. Except perhaps for Explorers, but to me, they're so linked to this one player that it's a tad uncomfortable. Nothing against Hetfield, but he's not been much of a songwriter for ages now.

I play classical guitar as well so sitting with a V is pretty natural for me. I usually play my Les Pauls with the curve at the bottom resting on my left leg as well. It's habit.

Archived