Gibson Brands Forums

Ah well, I did it again, NGD

Riffster

I had been looking at one of these Ibanez AM53 models for a while, my brother has an AF53 model which is a jazz box, on the same vein the AM53 is a thinline semi-hollow smaller than a 335. Musicians Friend sent me a 15% coupon that actually worked for this guitar, $255 shipped!

The guitar has a slim neck, perfect finish and fantastic action right out of the box 0.022" on the bass side and 0.013" on the treble side first fret, I had to measure it simply because other than my '58 reissue I have never had another guitar come with better action.

The frets are perfect down to the edges, nice and smooth. The nut while plastic is perfectly cut. Really nice guitar.

The weak link are the pickups and electronics, they are OK but I have a set of burstbucker pros with A5 and A3 magnets that will go on this guitar, the chrome covers will make the guitar look better.

By chance I had the pickguard I took off my Epi ES-335 (which was replaced with a short guard on that guitar) and I think it looks great on this guitar, it even compensates for the odd placement of the knobs IMO. (the "E" is a sticker that comes off).

What do you guys think? pickguard on or off? hehe

This is another keeper.

38497124910_040486b7fa_c.jpg

38497128380_ff340b7aa7_c.jpg

Very nice.. Ive seen a few of those in real life and like them.. Such a price too..

Usually id automatically say pickguard off.. but actually, get a plain black one and that will probably look quite smart..

Happy playing man [thumbup]

I'm always a pick guard OFF guy, but you'll have to be OK with the wear that will eventually occur from the rubbing against the outside of your oily dirty sweaty disgusting picking hand. Hey, you're a guy, right? I'm wearing out a spot on all my guardless acoustics. It's dopey, I know.

Thanks guys.

I didn't expect that pickguard to look that great,

I'll wait until I have replaced the pickups with chrome covers to see how things look. My original idea was to use cream pickups rings.

The stock pickups are simply not that great, I read an interesting article on Reverb.com explaining why overseas manufacturers simply do not put expensive pickups on guitars and makes a lot of sense. The pickups I already have will be a great fit for this guitar.

Nice score Jorge. My buddy used to have the “Artcore” 335 type guitar and the neck and fretwork were amazing. You could get the action lower than any other guitar I’ve played without buzzing. As you say, the electronics are really the only weakness

I think this is an Artcore, I think it falls in that category.

I still need to connect with you to bias my Tweak Fuzz.

Ahh, DO whatever YOU want, it's your guitar! :D

CB

Oh I will, as I do in all cases. On this instance I am really torn but leaning towards pickguard, it looks more classy and cover the weird space by the control knobs.

I think this is an Artcore, I think it falls in that category.

I still need to connect with you to bias my Tweak Fuzz.

Oh I will, as I do in all cases. On this instance I am really torn but leaning towards pickguard, it looks more classy and cover the weird space by the control knobs.

Well, seems to me, you've answered your own question! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Seeing the first pics my initial opinion - unusually for me - was 'Off Looks Better' but now you have dressed and bevelled the 'guard I now prefer the look with it fitted.

Whatever; it's a very, very pretty guitar! Just remember to put some covers on those p'ups....

pickguards,, meh! Who needs em!

Erm...Me, actually! On contour-top guitars I find I need one to act as a finger-rest.

My '93 LP R9 came without a 'guard and I tried playing it like that initially to see if I could cope but couldn't get my picking hand comfortable at all. This meant I had to have a 'guard custom-made as these very early Historic Division re-issues had the 'wrong' spacing for the p'ups and a regular LP guard doesn't fit...

Pip.

Is it considerably smaller and lighter than an ES335?

A little, it's like 1 1/2" to 2" narrower and a bit thinner, definitely can tell the difference in size. I am 5'7" so my ES335 looks big on me, this Ibanez does not.

And it is a little lighter but that could vary by guitar, definitely not heavy.

Seeing the first pics my initial opinion - unusually for me - was 'Off Looks Better' but now you have dressed and bevelled the 'guard I now prefer the look with it fitted.

Whatever; it's a very, very pretty guitar! Just remember to put some covers on those p'ups....

Erm...Me, actually! On contour-top guitars I find I need one to act as a finger-rest.

My '93 LP R9 came without a 'guard and I tried playing it like that initially to see if I could cope but couldn't get my picking hand comfortable at all. This meant I had to have a 'guard custom-made as these very early Historic Division re-issues had the 'wrong' spacing for the p'ups and a regular LP guard doesn't fit...

Pip.

Oh yea, definitely covered pickups, I already have them. It is a set of Gibson Busrstbucker Pros with A5 unoriented magent on the bridge and A3 magnet on the neck position. They sound great and produce very interesting overtones, they are currently in my Flying V which now will get a set of boutique pickups I bought locally for only $100USD.

I am definitely a pickuguard kind of guy, and yes Pippy especially on contoured top guitars.

Archived