Gibson Brands Forums

Ah well, I did it again, NGD

Riffster

Well, I am not going to install a pickguard for a while but I removed the "E", trimmed the spot around the bridge pickup and beveled the section between pickups. I'll put it away for now.

40366830611_7287872541_c.jpg

40366835841_d7656a7f3d_c.jpg

Looks great! Very nice guitar! Ibanez has been putting out some great guitars for many years now & this one is gorgeous! The nice thing about the Epiphone pickguards is that the "e" comes off easily. I have never liked the big ol fat thing sticking up in the way on any of my Epiphone guitars. This worked out perfect for you Enjoy!!! [thumbup]

Pick guard off, and leave the original pickups in it.

Bone-stock is the way to go.

[thumbup]

I just realized how contradictory this must sound.

I should have said, "leave the original pickups in it, bone-stock is the way to go", and "take the pick guard off for aesthetic reasons".

If you put the pick guard in a large zip lock baggie, with all the original mounting hardware, and store it in the case, you have a bone-stock guitar to offer to the next buyer, if there is one.

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now.

:unsure:

...If you put the pick guard in a large zip lock baggie, with all the original mounting hardware, and store it in the case, you have a bone-stock guitar to offer to the next buyer...

The guitar didn't come with a p'g, Sparky.

The 'guard fitted is one which Riffster had already swapped-out from an Epi 335.

msp_smile.gif

Pip.

I just realized how contradictory this must sound.

I should have said, "leave the original pickups in it, bone-stock is the way to go", and "take the pick guard off for aesthetic reasons".

If you put the pick guard in a large zip lock baggie, with all the original mounting hardware, and store it in the case, you have a bone-stock guitar to offer to the next buyer, if there is one.

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now.

:unsure:

Oh, I understood the first time but no, the original pickups and pots do not really cut it for anything. I have played the guitar under different settings and the pickups just do not produce good sounds. The pots are very ok and the tone control is pretty useless. I actually bought this guitar in part because I already have a nice set of Gibson pickups for it. My brother has a similar guitar and I knew the pickups would have to be replaced.

And the pickguard, like Pippy said, this pickuguard is from my Epi ES335, on that guitar I put a short guard on that guitar.

This is a super cheap guitar, stock means nothing really. Plus if I save the electronics I can put them back in.

• 5 months later...

Well, I had a bit of time and took a few snaps on how this guitar turned out.

I am really pleased, this guitar sounds fantastic with the Classic 57 set I installed, very good semi-hollow classic tone. Sounds fantastic.

Ibanez Tuners

28934084417_3cee7ab45e_c.jpg

Pickguard and covered classic 57 pickups

28934078657_b27c8d6973_c.jpg

Some brass detail on the controls, (Harmony knobs)

43870775761_675cfc25df_c.jpg

And there she is

43870301961_737bf76b76_c.jpg

that's a really sweet lookin guitar. i considered buying one once. i liked it, but bought an ar420 instead because at the time, it better suited the band i was in.

the one i was lookin at wasn't as cool lookin as yours though. i like seeing the wood, so if they had one like that at the time, i may have just said hell with those guys i'm gettin this instead! 57 classics are the perfect pick up for that guitar. i used them in a semi hollow project i did once, and i LOVED the results.

good for you, and even better at a sweet price.

[thumbup]

I had a few electrics and always removed the pickguards. I put them in a drawer in a small nightstand. Some time later, I sold the nightstand and forgot to take the pickguards out! All gone! msp_scared.gif Later I sold most of those guitars. The buyers never asked about the missing pickguards. No worries! msp_smile.gif

Archived