Gibson Brands Forums

Arlo Guthrie.

Murph

I was blessed to see him live, in Tempe Arizona, around 1980/1981.

My memory is foggy, but he did a heckuva show, Clam song as I recall.

He refused to play Alice. I'm hip to that. ("I'll take a Big Mac with fries") He did everything else though.....

What a great talent, top notch Band, his timing in a live show is probably second to none.

Best to ya.

Murph.

Thats the only one I know...

"Alice" was an anti Viet Namm song. Once the war ended, to the best of my knowledge, and I LOVE Arlo, he refused to play it ever again. But man, "Comin' Into Los Angeles", "Stealin", "The City Of New Orleans", "The Clam Song", Arlo is a monster of great songs. A Great entertainer, and his father had some stuff to do, if you do your homework.

Best of luck.

Check it out.

Murph.

"Alice" was an anti Viet Namm song. Once the war ended' date=' to the best of my knowledge, and I LOVE Arlo, he refused to play it ever again. But man, "Comin' Into Los Angeles", "Stealin", "The City Of New Orleans", "The Clam Song", Arlo is a monster of great songs. A Great entertainer, and his father had some stuff to do, if you do your homework.

Best of luck.

Check it out.

Murph.

[/quote']

A local station plays it multiple times on thanksgiving. I always get stuck listening to it driving somewhere on thanksgiving.

Odd true story.

I worked for a live sound contractor back in the mid 80's and we did a series of large outdoor festivals one summer every couple of weeks in one location (see side story after this one). One of the festivals was a folk festival and Arlo Guthrie was one of the main performers.

Arlo broke a string during his set and a guy, who I assume was his manager, comes charging to the side of the stage in a panic with Arlo's guitar while Arlo is talking to the crowd and says, "Can anyone put a new string on this!?!?"

The golden rule is that you don't touch the artists' instruments, you work around them. Now, everyone in the engineering business is a musician of some sort (usually frustrated guitar players) and I looked over at my boss and he just sort of shrugged at me like "Whatever. Do it if you want" so I quickly changed the string, gave it a few stretches then tuned it back up.

There you have it. I got to "play" a famous person's guitar. :-s

Yeah, I know, but the side story is pretty good...

Side story: As I said, it was a series of outdoor festivals, all with different styles of music each time - folk festival, jazz festival, etc. At each of these festivals, mostly the same vendors would be there for each one. One of those vendors sold Italian food (side-side story: they would give us free food in exchange for us getting them "experienced") and, for each festival, they would change the name of their food stand to suit the theme of the festival. When it was the reggae festival weekend, they called themselves "Rasta Pasta."

IMHO, Arlo is one of the best ever.

I saw him onstage with John Prine, I think back in the 80's, it was one of the best shows ever, very low tech.

I always play a few of his songs just for kicks, as they are eternal.

I also enjoy his work with his daughter.

To me, he seems to have his act together...or could be I'm just warped.

Dale.

Archived