Gibson Brands Forums

MacBook advice needed

Dub-T-123

Hey guys I need to buy a MacBook for my studio and I could use some advice on which model I should look at for my needs

I am going to use this with an Apogee Element 46 interface (requires a thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 adapter for new MacBooks) with Logic as my DAW. I am planning on using this almost exclusively for music production, so I am not interested in gaming, etc

I am just looking for something that will start up/run fast and run Logic flawlessly. I don’t want to spend more money than I need to, and I don’t want to get something that I will be wanting to upgrade. I want to have one spare thunderbolt port in case I add another interface later if we go crazy on drum mics

I am not particularly knowledgeable about computers. My instincts tell me just get the most powerful one but I think that may be a waste of money for my needs. I’d really appreciate some advice from you computer experts. Thanks!

Mine is a 2010 MacBook Pro 13", I upgraded the hard drive to 1TB and maxed the memory, I have never had problems with it to the point I have not needed another.

If I had known this I would have bought the 15" not only because of the size but because the better connectivity.

Nowadays Apple does not even use USB ports so I am way behind on tech, not a bad thing, I simply have not needed to look into it.

The solid state drive is the way to go and then max the memory like it has been suggested, as far as processors you probably do not need the fastest one.

I have a 2013 MacBook Pro and it runs with no issues. I use logic as well as reaper. Just max out the ram and get a solid state drive, the CPU power does not matter as much.

I believe I need a newer model since I need the thunderbolt ports? There are many 2011-2012 MacBooks modified with 16gb ram and 1tb ssd on eBay but I definitely need the thunderbolt ports. I’m not sure exactly when those came out from what I can tell it is 2014. I am hesitant to buy a used or refurbished product but I’m not sure if I’m wrong to think that.

I always buy the 15" Pro. I'm on my third. Love it. Have used ti to record mobile with the USB Samson GoMic.

Thanks I was considering one of the 15” Pro models. I assume just about any new MacBook Pro model should be more than sufficient for my needs but as it’s a major purchase I don’t want to wish I got more memory later or something. I’m leaning towards a 15” because all of my controls will be on the screen so a little more space will be good

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it!

I shopped around and found a deal on a brand new 15” MacBook Pro. I probably saved about $750 compared to buying direct from Apple if I factor in sales tax since I’m in California.

I ended up getting the most pimped out model without upgrades, which is overkill for my needs but should be really great.

Archived