Gibson Brands Forums

Dove heck...fret fallen out!

Jinder

So, I was merrily playing my Dove this afternoon at a gig with my band, a little lunchtime happening at a warehouse filled with vintage clothing stalls and allsorts. A really nice scene...until, that is, I went for a solo only to find half of the notes sharp and the other half not where I left them at all. Sounded like a fire in a pet shop!

I looked down to see if my fingers had finally mutinied and left me chopsless, only to see-TO MY HORROR-that the tenth fret of the guitar was entirely missing! It had somehow FALLEN OFF and was laying at my feet. Thankfully I had my SJ200 with me, so grabbed that and the show went on.

My question is, however, what in God’s name made the tenth fret drop off like that? I’ve never seen that happen before in all my days.

I love my Dove, but I’ve had so many problems with it recently that I’m worried it won’t be the dependable workhorse I need it to be for my heavy gigging schedule.

Only thing I can think of is a very dried out & essentially shrunken fretboard, but even in such a case, the fret wouldn't typically just fall out.

I'd probably pop the fret back in with a few small touches of superglue, and treat the board with F-One fingerboard oil (all natural oils, no petroleum distillates). I've been very pleased with the results on my instruments.

Best of luck in resolving this odd duck scenario!

So, I was merrily playing my Dove this afternoon at a gig with my band, a little lunchtime happening at a warehouse filled with vintage clothing stalls and allsorts. A really nice scene...until, that is, I went for a solo only to find half of the notes sharp and the other half not where I left them at all. Sounded like a fire in a pet shop!

I looked down to see if my fingers had finally mutinied and left me chopsless, only to see-TO MY HORROR-that the tenth fret of the guitar was entirely missing! It had somehow FALLEN OFF and was laying at my feet. Thankfully I had my SJ200 with me, so grabbed that and the show went on.

My question is, however, what in God’s name made the tenth fret drop off like that? I’ve never seen that happen before in all my days.

I love my Dove, but I’ve had so many problems with it recently that I’m worried it won’t be the dependable workhorse I need it to be for my heavy gigging schedule.

Live music=expect the unexpected.

Sounds like you did by bringing along a second guitar. The reason I do...

QM ak Jazzman Jeff

Haha thanks all!

I was taken aback to say the least. I’m not sure what approach to take to repair it, I don’t think I’ll tackle it myself.

Upon removing the strings to investigate further today, two more frets were loose-literally hanging off. I’ve removed them and stashed them in the case.

I don’t tend to oil my fretboards beyond a light wiping with gun oil once a year or so-all of my guitars are played a lot, so I tend to figure that natural finger oils will do the job.

I'd just look at the bright side - you found the missing piece. If it were just the one, I'd write it off to random selection. But since there are others - it sounds like something larger. If you use gun stock oil (as opposed to gun mechanism oil !) I'd consider switching to something that permeates better. But - you've probably used it on dozens of guitars up until now without problems. Possibly, the day your Dove fingerboard was fretted, the glue was not 'fresh'. Since you're wisely getting a luthier to fix it, you might ask if he thinks they should all be 'popped off' and rte-glued. I'd stay away from Super glue though. Don't give up on the Dove, whatever you do!

Jinder,

I use this bout twice / 3 times a year.

https://www.amazon.com/Gerlitz-GGH-Guitar-Honey-Fingerboard/dp/B000EEJF4O

If you really do a good check on any guitar, even new, you will likely find a few frets not tightly seated.

Tap em lightly with a small straight edge, you can hear the ones not locked in.

Add this to dry winters in the northern hemisphere, and multiply by years you had it.

I can see some loose frets appearing, raising, etc, but falling out is just crazy.

Let us know how the journey to address this goes.

hey Stu Guitar honey is made for rosewood and ebony boards, 100% pure wood spirits. Does a fine job hydrating the wood.

I've never tried boiled linseed oil tbh.. not even sure I would know where to find it.. hardware store? Paint Store?

I watched the Townes van Zandt "Live in Amsterdam" DVD the other day, where one of his bridge pins suddenly popped out and went flying. He was very cool about and took it in stride.

Just make sure all your frets are properly glued and seated in preparation for your upcoming gig in the U.S. You don't want to end up in a law suit because one of your frets hits the audience... [biggrin]

Lars

hey Stu Guitar honey is made for rosewood and ebony boards, 100% pure wood spirits. Does a fine job hydrating the wood.

I've never tried boiled linseed oil tbh.. not even sure I would know where to find it.. hardware store? Paint Store?

eBay !

😂

I dont thInk it matters all that much

I’m not obsessive about such things , I just needed something to oil fretboard and bridge and after reading all the tripe it seems that boiled linseed oil is as pure as can be

I think it’s used for cricket bats too ....

It was £7 and that one bottle will do me forever

Lemon added can be bad supposedly ... etc etc

My old takamine I regularly cleaned it with my mums mr sheen 😂

eBay !

I dont thInk it matters all that much

I’m not obsessive about such things , I just needed something to oil fretboard and bridge and after reading all the tripe it seems that boiled linseed oil is as pure as can be

I think it’s used for cricket bats too ....

It was £7 and that one bottle will do me forever

Lemon added can be bad supposedly ... etc etc

My old takamine I regularly cleaned it with my mums mr sheen

ebay! Of course! why didn't I think of that!

From what I understand, just about any pure wood spirit works. house hold products may not be the best option, they can include things like ammonia and other nastiness that play with the glue in the fret slots but OTOH I know a few dudes who use lemon oil from the grocery stores, and they don't seem to have any problems.

older guitars, go figure.., I think the products they used back in those days for finishes is about the most durable stuff on the face of the earth I have a 78 Alvarez Yari, I think if I left it out in rain, it'd probably be ok. not that I would... but..

As a friend of mine always says when you hear a little buzz on a certain note - - just don't play there.

Chap I know who fronts a very popular folk outfit in the UK has his guitars built by David Oddy, and incredible instruments they are. He once took an Oddy back to David and said “it needs a tweak, I’m getting a buzz when I’m playing anything in the key of A”. Oddy replies “no it doesn’t, just don’t play in the key of A!”

Archived