Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 335 Volume AND hum Issue?

timmilesmusic

Hello all,

wanted to pick your brains on an issue with my guitar. Firstly, I have a 335 2015 model and it has a hum that comes from it when I am not making contact with any of the metal components or strings. When I make contact with them, the hum vanishes. I have been told this is normal but wanted to check this.

Secondly, the volume controls don't seem to be equal. What I mean by this is if I set the volume to 10 on both neck and bridge, the volume is about the same on both no matter which I select. If I put volume to 6 on bridge and 6 on neck. Their is a discrepancy between the volumes. The neck pickup is still loud and audible, the bridge pickup however can barely be heard. It is still audible but at least 70% quieter. What could be causing this? Thanks so much.

Hello all,

wanted to pick your brains on an issue with my guitar. Firstly, I have a 335 2015 model and it has a hum that comes from it when I am not making contact with any of the metal components or strings. When I make contact with them, the hum vanishes. I have been told this is normal but wanted to check this.

Secondly, the volume controls don't seem to be equal. What I mean by this is if I set the volume to 10 on both neck and bridge, the volume is about the same on both no matter which I select. If I put volume to 6 on bridge and 6 on neck. Their is a discrepancy between the volumes. The neck pickup is still loud and audible, the bridge pickup however can barely be heard. It is still audible but at least 70% quieter. What could be causing this? Thanks so much.

The hum when you're not touching the strings is normal.

The issue with the discrepancy between the volumes is interesting. It has something to do with the different tone capacitors that are used in the two pickups. The rhythm pickup has a smaller tone capacitor and will lose less volume as you roll the volume control back. You'll probably want to find out if that guitar has the "Memphis Tone Circuit." I think the 2015's do. That's pretty much the same as "fifties wiring." And it's a horrible circuit. Very inflexible. The volume drops off very fast and the differences between pickup volumes at different settings are exaggerated. You're better off with sixties wiring with equal 0.022 uf capacitors on both pickups.

Archived