Gibson Brands Forums

2002 j-50

jefleppard65

lol. is it one of the VOS models? if so, funny bec i withdrew an offer on one and went for the one in seattle instead.

This one is a NOS 2015 J-50 Custom Shop, with a gloss (not VOS) finish. With warranty & not a mark on it. I'm very pleased with it's playability, tone, and visuals. Build quality is very tight & clean, as have been my other fairy recent Gibson purchases (Montana, Memphis, and Nashville).

Back in 2001, I was pretty hooked on the J-50 I'd purchased new, except for the size of the somewhat chunky neck - I just couldn't come to terms with it. Have always wanted to grab another one & this example was worth the seventeen year wait!

I haven't seen a J-50 with a light colored back like this before. This is the 2001 I stumbled upon. Looks to be in great shape other than the permanent marker someone colored around the sound hole. Montana customer service said it was ordered as a "natural" finish for the back.

dhCsKGT.jpg

84PphMC.jpg

That looks a shade lighter than the light ones I've seen. Sharpie? That's fixable, very fixable, lol. But serious

Back in 2001, I was pretty hooked on the J-50 I'd purchased new, except for the size of the somewhat chunky neck - I just couldn't come to terms with it. Have always wanted to grab another one & this example was worth the seventeen year wait!

Wow, no one who's ever played my J-50 described the neck as "chunky". Was yours the regular issue neck or a custom version?

Wow, no one who's ever played my J-50 described the neck as "chunky". Was yours the regular issue neck or a custom version?

It was just a standard production 2001 J-50. Chunky for me, but probably fine for most players.

I think a majority of Gibsons back then had that same profile, but every once in a while, a smaller profile would slip through, and those are the ones I felt most comfortable with. My 2000 J-100xt & 2002 J-45 Rosewood are two of those.

Archived