Gibson Brands Forums

What is Your Favorite Modern J45 Iteration?

thegreatgumbino

Definitely my 1942 banner reissue from the JT project, an amazing guitar and rare as hen’s teeth. From my research it appears that possibly only 21 were made in 2 separate batches as opposed to the intended 50.

Definitely my 1942 banner reissue from the JT project, an amazing guitar and rare as hen’s teeth. From my research it appears that possibly only 21 were made in 2 separate batches as opposed to the intended 50.

I owned two of these as well as one of the SJ's from the same limited run. All three were really good.

I owned two of these as well as one of the SJ's from the same limited run. All three were really good.

Good to hear! Given that the banners are widely thought of as the most iconic J-45's its weird that you have to find an extremely limited reissue or 'legend' to get something approximating the original recipe. To me this is what a standard J-45 should be and fat necks are wonderful in terms of feel and meaty tone!

Very cool to learn. Can you share your research?

The original still haunts me.

I’ve owned a few. I had a 2006 Modern Classic which was excellent, but my favourite was my Early J45. Absolutely wonderful instrument. I parted with it when I was in a financial corner, and it went to another forumer, Sitric, aka singer/Songwriter Brendan Devereaux. He bought it for his nephew I believe, and kept me posted on it for several years. At some point it had the classic Gibson headstock break when it took a tumble, but was subsequently repaired and is, to my knowledge, still in service and being enjoyed.

That guitar just had something extra...very lightly built, very rich midrange and a beautiful top end with singing overtones.

I have a 1967 J45 now which is a fine guitar too. I took the adj bridge setup out and did a fixed bridge conversion which opened it up nicely...at some point it’s had the back replaced but it was done in a very classy way and wouldn’t be noticeable unless examined with a particularly enquiring eye.

the luthier i use, whose opinion i respect more than pretty much anyone's, told me my "Early" may be the best J45 he's ever played, and that includes Vintage. definitely made my day. thanks again for your glowing review, Jinder!

Archived