Gibson Brands Forums

Just got my Dark Fire... Major Disappointment!

brookfloyd

I feel bad for you. The top reminds me of an Ikea desk. I think the Guitar Center had a circle jerk weekend for the guitar they couldn't sell on their floor (probably due to it's condition...) and got lucky with it being a limited production run. The case in the pictures borders on being a " Zebra case" vs. the virgin white case promised. Return it, and Gibson should reconsider the extent of their 'limited run" dealers.

I fart in GC general direction many-a-times.

Hi Elantric, that photo from Gibson page was updated at some point shortly after I started to raise the issue about potential mal-practice in advertising. Do you happen to have a copy of the earlier one? I think the thread called DF Images also contains some of those earlier marketing shots. Perhaps we should use those to put this into context. Thanks as always for your advocacy. Regards

See this thread:

http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=14633

I saved pics from the original Dark Fire Web site Dec. 8, 2008, and re-posted those images.

They indicate a deeper level of flame top than the many examples shipped.

However the image at this link looks rather spectacular:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Dark-Fire/Features.aspx

But I still await the features described here:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Dark-Fire/Features.aspx

"The Dark Fire also features a revolutionary Gibson-designed piezo bridge pickup that actually consists of six individual piezo pickups — one for each saddle/string. These piezo pickups go through a studio-quality active amplifier that allows for a stronger and more natural acoustic guitar sound. Combined, the two classic electromagnetic pickups and the piezo bridge pickup are wired in such a way to allow each individual coil to be used in a switching matrix, giving you over 20 separate combinations of tone and an incredible array of tonal possibilities."

Well' date=' I think this finally tipped the balance for me. Due to the following:

- No info from Gibson, yet a willingness from their dealers to take our money (and a good chunk of it).

- Ongoing tech issues which don't seem to be getting resolved.

- A batch of guitars sent out in Dec which don't work.

- An inconsistent finish.

...oh yeah and a £2,400 price tag (exchange rate sucks!).

...I've cancelled my order. Brook, your experience really makes me question Gibson's commitment to giving us the best on this one. Revolutionary guitar it may be, but as Guitarist magazine (UK) said, it's just not 'there' yet. So why are Gibson even selling these?

I'm gonna twiddle my thumbs for a year, play much more acoustic (she's a beauty), and wait until these guys get a) the technology; :-k their customer service; and c) their PR and communciations right. I fear I may be waiting some time.

Strange, I've never felt disappointed about something I've not bought, but G USA you managed it! I'll watch this forum with interest. =D> [/quote']

+1 from me although I did cancel a month ago having originally ordered in Nov 2008. Felt really dissapointed at first but as time goes on with lack of DF in UK and problems still being reported in the US I feel the right choice was made. One thing makes me wonder what Gibson mean by unprecedented worldwide demand as you can still place an order in the UK so the DF is definately not a sell out as they would have us believe!!

It's getting harder and harder to maintain enthusiasm for the DF,

I know if mine turns up looking like elantrics, and plays like an angel singing,

I will be a happy chap.

However if it turns up and has any resemblence to Brookfloyd's i think i would opt for sending it straight back to my dealers and haggling their asses off for an alternative.

Brookfloyd ' man i feel for you, that's just a horrible, horrible experience to have had with your DF '

Im still gonna wait and see what turns up though especially after waiting this long and longer!

Good luck other waiting owners.

Man I can't beleive this thread, it would make me sick if that was my guitar I just ordered.

I feel really bad you those of you who have to order a guitar sight unseen. I could never do it for this exact reason.

Gibson should just give you a full refund and just give you the guitar for your troubles.

Return the guitar to the GC store and get a full refund.

GC stores only sell "used" guitars.. Every guitar that arrives at a GC store is promptly hung on the wall for anyone to abuse. The only way to get a factory fresh, new guitar from GC is to place a Special Order which will come from either the GC/MF distribution center, or the manufacturer, depending on stock availability. SPO's are subject to different policies though (non-cancellable/returnable).

Get your refund from the store.

If you want to attempt to get a new guitar via phone/Internet ordering, orders from GC.Com, MF.Com, Sweetwater, etc. typically are new instruments in factory sealed boxes (except Sweetwater opens and inspects each guitar, photographs it, and when it is sold they do a setup just prior to shipping.. they even ask which strings you want on it if you want something other than the factory shipped strings).

Once you get a truly new, unabused guitar, you'll know that any defects are attributable to the manufacturer, rather than all of the children who messed up your guitar before you even touched it for the first time.

• 2 months later...

Guys:

I don't really understand the complaints. Dark Fire is not a Les Paul reissue and the guitar is not being sold for the most beautiful flame on a Les Paul. This is a technology guitar.

I read the entire description on Gibson's web site and there is not a single mention of flame maple. From the web site:

The Dark Fire Finish.

Each of the Gibson Dark Fire Limited Edition First Run guitars features a dramatic Dark Fire nitrocellulose finish created especially for this exclusive run. It is one of the most striking finishes ever to leave a Gibson factory and is achieved by combining the time-tested techniques of applying a standard nitro finish with several new procedures that help bring out the natural beauty of the wood. The result is a stunning, deep gloss color that naturally highlights each piece of wood's distinctive grain patterns. The mahogany back and neck of the Dark Fire are given a satin finish, while the top and peghead face are sprayed with a gloss finish.

Wood varies by its very nature. Gibson specifically withheld this guitar from mail order shops so consumers could actually see what they were buying. In my opinion, buying a guitar sight unseen to get a certain wood pattern is not a good idea.

It sounds like the guitar was repacked after being open at the dealership, but anyone buying one at a dealership would have seen every problem before buying the instrument.

I understand the convenience of calling and getting a box, but a guitar is not a piece of electronics. Each instrument has a unique and individual character both esthetically as well as sound and feel.

The other problems can certainly be addressed as warranty service issues, and I would call Gibson customer support first to get it addressed.

My 2 cents.

Sir, first off, thanks for taking the time to post here personally. I respect and applaud that. Now that you are here, please don't be a stranger. An occasional note from you will save so much in customer sentiments. Oh and signing off in your given name would be an improvement too.

... I read the entire description on Gibson's web site and there is not a single mention of flame maple.

You are correct from an English language perspective. However the photos that went with the marketing blurb were very very indicative of what is to be expected. As the saying goes, a picture is, well, worth 1000 words. I am not a lawyer and this is not a court room so I can't say much about the validity of this counter-argument but I certainly felt shortchanged when I received my DarkFire with its top.

Gibson Marketing Department did a great job in driving demand for this unique guitar. Leading up to the December 15th launch, many people, including myself, placed orders for yet to be delivered guitars. Some of those people are still waiting after 6 months. So the suggestion to wait and buy in store was never an option as good as it sounds.

Therefore, we only had the webpage to rely on when making the purchase decision. The initial photos definitely played a part in my decision. Later on when they were switched around to less articulate shots the feeling of being shortchanged got elevated to being outright cheated. Please advertise products with photos as closely representing what the customers will get as possible. That's all I can say on this matter.

My best regards,

Kerem

We have a great motoring tv programme by the BBC in the UK called 'Top Gear'. On that programme there is an anonymous racing driver who you never see, they call him 'The Stig', who tests cars on their racetrack. People have been speculating for years who he might be, Damon Hill, Nigel Mansell, Lewis Hamilton, nobody knows. A previous 'Stig' revealed his identity and was immediately fired by the BBC. Now we have our own DF 'Stig' - gplayer100!!! Who is he? What does he do?!! Does he work for Gibson or is he a famous guitarist?!!

Anyway, Thomann here in Germany gave me their latest forecast for delivery of August!! So I've bitten the bullet and ordered one off ebay after some good email exchanges with the vendor. I know the warning threads in the forum but I am dying/fed-up with waiting. Fingers crossed I get lucky as the guy assures me it is factory-fresh, delivered last week, never been opened (so hopefully no shop damage as has been reported elsewhere) and it is referred to as 'Dark Fire Version II' so maybe I will be lucky and will be a DF owner by the weekend. Same price as you guys paid State-side but 600 euros inc shipping/taxes cheaper than I can get one here!! Fingers crossed and wish me luck.

Wow!...

Thats too bad. I feel for you my friend.

I agree about the "jerks" who play high end guitars in the shops with no intention to buy. They scratch and bang around the guitars and hang them back up.

Say what you will about Ed Roman...he may be a blowhard but if you go into his Vegas shop you have to ask to

play a guitar...you cant just take it down at will.

Brookfloyd.... these issues are mostly GC and not Gibson. I have many of the same issues with the DF I got from them (BTW I posted about this a few months ago). I have reserved one of the new shipments and GC is doing a full replace for me as I complained as soon as I received the product.

I tried Best Buy but found out they did the same thing - unpack every one they get and let every moron play with it and bang it around. Couldn't find a clean one from them back in March either.

BTW - Elantric. I already have my RIP and S/W, etc. If I replace the DF I was planning to give everything back to the retailer and re-register using the new guitar. Is that the right course of action?

I would send it back and get a new one. I have DF112 and love the guitar. It did have a couple of problems and is now at Gibson being fixed. The toggle switch was not working in the down position. It was also scratchy to turn. I was dissapointed with the flame also, though not as bad as the one in the pictures posted here. It appeared they were not particular about the woods they used for the guitar.

This is my first Gibson and I have mixed feelings. I have about 7 guitars (Fender, Takamine, Yamaha, etc.) That said, I love the playability and feel of the guitar, not to mention the robotic tuning which worked great once I realized you need to strum it once across all strings to get it to tune properly. I love that Gibson is always looking for new innovations.

Gibson was great about taking it in for repair. I sent it in last week. I'll keep you posted.

FYI. I'm dissapointed that Gibson is not allowing ratings for this guitar on their web site as with the other guitar models. This is likely due to all the problems.

Check out www.GreatJerseyMusic.com.

Archived