Gibson Brands Forums

Make Like a Les Paul Custom and Split

AnubisXII

Heartbreaking.

I've always believed that you should keep your friends close and your Gibsons closer. And it doesn't hurt to have a little practice amp close by too.

So I get home from work the other day and copped a squat on my couch like I always do. And I looked over at my beautiful Black Beauty like I have for 32 wonderful years, and there's a friggen split in the top. From binding to binding. A friggen split. It's enough to make you puke.

I don't know what could have happened. I keep it at a constant temperature in here (73-78 degrees) and the humidity is at an unnoticeable level. I've never dropped her, never even let her tip over or slide down the wall.

And I come home to a split top. Man, I don't know if it's a split or a crack. And I certainly don't know what to do about it.

th_LP1.jpg

th_LP3.jpg

th_LP4.jpg

No. No sunlight. It's been years since it's seen the great outdoors.

I dont get it.

But... I just remembered that a long time ago -at least 15 years ago- I walked into my home studio where I had it leaning against the wall (face first) and the carpet was wet from a friggen A/C leak. There was a fine little crack between the body and the binding, so I set her on the table under alight bulb just in case some moisture got up inside there as an attempt to slowly dry it out.

But people play in the rain all the time. Gibsons don't care about the rain. Whenever and wherever you wanna play, a Gibson can handle it.

But I would never do that. She stays inside every day, all the time.

Im worried about the binding though.

And Im worried about what to do.

I'm also wondering why it happened. But do I try glueing it and putting a clamp on it?

Sorry for the drawn out answer, but this is my baby. And Im worried.

ouch.. That's a pretty nasty crack..

usually,,, ("usually") a crack like that is caused from either extreme lack of moisture (dry) and the maple cap split, or, the other way around (Way too much moisture)

you say humidity unnoticeable? meaning???

it is probably fixable, but it would need some finish restoration to hide it.

My 87 black custom has a three-piece top just like yours; It's easy to see the three parts under the lacquer; two fine lines running from top to bottom, one each side of the pickups. I just took a quick look at mine and your crack is exactly where one of my three-piece top joints is located. Your "crack" is where two of the top pieces have come apart and I can only surmise that it's due to shrinkage of one or all of the top pieces. It is possible that the parts were not glued correctly at the factory and it's take this long for it to become an issue.

The fix is to refinish the whole top, strip it, fill the space and then re-paint. The good news is that this is a black finish so if done right, you will not see the joints. I've been able to see mine since the guitar was bought new in '87. You can't clamp the top; the piece that has split away is glued to the lower section of the body.

My 87 black custom has a three-piece top just like yours; It's easy to see the three parts under the lacquer; two fine lines running from top to bottom, one each side of the pickups. I just took a quick look at mine and your crack is exactly where one of my three-piece top joints is located. Your "crack" is where two of the top pieces have come apart and I can only surmise that it's due to shrinkage of one or all of the top pieces. It is possible that the parts were not glued correctly at the factory and it's take this long for it to become an issue.

The fix is to refinish the whole top, strip it, fill the space and then re-paint. The good news is that this is a black finish so if done right, you will not see the joints. I've been able to see mine since the guitar was bought new in '87. You can't clamp the top; the piece that has split away is glued to the lower section of the body.

Are you serious? It wasn't glued correctly so it held for 32 years? That's a long shot! My guess, and this is just a guess, something is wrong with your humidistat that it reads 'humidity is unnoticeable'.

Just the same I hope everything works out for the OP. That's a nasty crack.

The crack is exactly in line with one of my top joints which is why I think this is what is observed; the joint has broken due to uneven expansion/contraction of the maple top pieces and the mahogany base. Typically, the wood-glue-wood bond is a really strong one so yes, I'm serious; something has gone far enough with the body that this bond has broken very cleanly. I only stated that it is possible that this specific joint was weaker than the others which is why it is the one that broke loose. It is a nasty crack but it's not a true wood crack, just a broken glue joint. As the three top pieces are glued to the base, the right section can't simply be pulled over to meet with the centre one. The crack will have to be filled and the surface refinished.

The crack is exactly in line with one of my top joints which is why I think this is what is observed; the joint has broken due to uneven expansion/contraction of the maple top pieces and the mahogany base. Typically, the wood-glue-wood bond is a really strong one so yes, I'm serious; something has gone far enough with the body that this bond has broken very cleanly. I only stated that it is possible that this specific joint was weaker than the others which is why it is the one that broke loose. It is a nasty crack but it's not a true wood crack, just a broken glue joint. As the three top pieces are glued to the base, the right section can't simply be pulled over to meet with the centre one. The crack will have to be filled and the surface refinished.

I understand what you are saying. I didn't mean to come off as rude and apologize if I did. I was just trying to say that it would be hard to point the finger at the glue joint after 32 years. I just wanted the OP to question the humidity or lack, in an effort to head off further damage.

I did not mean it was outside in the sun, I was asking if the drapes or blinds were not pulled down, and the sun could have shines on it during the day through a window.

That A/C leak could have wicked up water and weakened the glue, it is looks like it is cracked on a glue joint.

Anyway, the real question is what to do now.

I do not think this is a job for just any luthier, you need someone who is trained and can remove the top, sand it and re-bond it.

Other then sending it into Gibson to have there shop do it, I know of one shop in Portland Oregon that can do it, he is a trained Gibson tech, and builds his own guitars from scratch.

If you need his contact information, I will gladly PM it to you.

aliasphobias: no offence was taken! As the OP noted, one day no crack, next day a big one. Clearly the stresses in the joint had built up to a point where there was a sudden failure. I looked more closely at my own 31 year old LP and got wondering about what's going on under the surface that we can't see. The impact of weight relief holes and cavities cut for wiring may explain why the joint on the right side split open rather than the one on the left; I really hope the left side doesn't split too. The simple fact is that wood is a natural medium and Gibson no doubt try and pick the body parts for long-term stability but an odd grain in the wrong place may have resulted in hyper-sensitivity to humidity changes in the wrong place in this guitar.

I just looked at some weight-relief pictures and it looks like the hole cut away for the volume and tone pots has the upper or left end lined up roughly with the line of the right side of the 3-piece top joint.

Well, here's my 2 oldest Les Pauls:

PGnjiXJ.jpg 1976 Les Paul Deluxe 42 years old.

hOH8rHt.jpg 1980 Les Paul Custom 38 years old.

Original finishes, and not even any "checking," much less any cracks!

Yes, they have been, and DO get played. [biggrin] The lines are either grain,

or reflections.

SO SORRY [crying] , to see that crack, in your "Baby!" That's just "Weird!"

CB

Man, you people are pretty incredible. I appreciate all the replies.

And a couple unanswered questions on my part... There is no sunlight on the guitar at all. And as far as humidity goes... Its the Dallas area and it plays such an insignificant role in our every day lives, I don't even think its ever mentioned during the weather forecast.

But after doing a little reading on the subject, I would have to say that it's between 55 and 68%.

Thats just a guess though. Its not muggy at all, but its not Arizona dry. Its comfortable.

Man, you people are pretty incredible. I appreciate all the replies.

And a couple unanswered questions on my part... There is no sunlight on the guitar at all. And as far as humidity goes... Its the Dallas area and it plays such an insignificant role in our every day lives, I don't even think its ever mentioned during the weather forecast.

But after doing a little reading on the subject, I would have to say that it's between 55 and 68%.

Thats just a guess though. Its not muggy at all, but its not Arizona dry. Its comfortable.

Wow, that's really "Weird," that your guitar would crack, like that, for no "apparent" reason...??? [crying][unsure]

CB

Archived