Gibson Brands Forums

letting my guard down

dadeedo

So, I was going to replace the original pickguard on my '94 J-45 with a firestripe guard, but the guard I ordered turned out to have a defect. John at Terrapin was great about refunding my money, but as I was deciding what to do next, I found that I enjoyed the look of that beautiful Gibson sunburst unobscured by any guard at all.

So here's a picture:

J-45GuardlessCloseupcopy.jpg

I may get around to replacing the guard eventually, but there's no hurry. Meanwhile, notice the bridge on my guitar.

This seems to be the only J-45 I've seen that does not have its bridge screwed to the top. It is also an amazingly light instrument. (I'll have to get around to weighing it to provide exact numbers). Man, it sounds great!

Does anyone know if this screwless bridge is unique to the 100th anniversary J-45, or what?

Thanks,

DDD

I have a J-100 and went without a guard for several yeas but I was just scratching it something awful (yes, I play mine a lot -- several events a week) a I've got five -- (actually six) guitars. Well I was looking for Tor-tis but it is hard to find. I go to a shop called El Rayo. I learned also that not all pick guards are mounted the same way. Martin has a way, Taylor has a way, Gibson has a way (pro's and cons for each -- but way beyond my engineering savvy). Took quite a while to find Tor-tis and then some thinking about it to put it on right. This stuff is kind of black magic and not right out of the maintenance manual. But this afternoon I will pick it up with a pick guard. (no engraving -- plain Jane like the guitar)

So' date=' I was going to replace the original pickguard on my '94 J-45 with a firestripe guard, but the guard I ordered turned out to have a defect. John at Terrapin was great about refunding my money, but as I was deciding what to do next, I found that I enjoyed the look of that beautiful Gibson sunburst unobscured by any guard at all.

So here's a picture:

I may get around to replacing the guard eventually, but there's no hurry. Meanwhile, notice the bridge on my guitar.

This seems to be the only J-45 I've seen that does not have its bridge screwed to the top. It is also an amazingly light instrument. (I'll have to get around to weighing it to provide exact numbers). Man, it sounds great!

Does anyone know if this screwless bridge is unique to the 100th anniversary J-45, or what?

Thanks,

DDD

[/quote']

I've been thinking about doing that same thing with my J-45 RW. Do you have a full body pic with the guard removed?

exactly my question, fp.

I can't complain soundwise, and as I said, this is the lightest post 50s J-45 I've ever picked up.

Any explanation from the knowledgeable folks on this forum would be most appreciated. Also, here's a full body picture.

The milky rectangle in the upper bout and the flash glare on the edge of the lower bout are a reflections. I'll retake in the morning when I can make better use of natural lighting.

J-45Guardlessfull.jpg

Thanks, Honky Dog.

Regarding the bridge, here's a shot of a 1995 "banner reissue" from a commercial site that appears to use the same unscrewed bridge:

http://exceptionalguitars.com/inventory/detail?sn=GBFT041070

From what I can tell, all the centenary J-45s have this bridge. The 1995 "banner reissue" looks indistinguishable (apart from the inside label, no doubt) from the 1994 centenary edition. If anyone knows differently, I'd appreciate learning more.

Good Morning from: Spanish Oak, NC

That J-45 looks good without the pick guard. I would think the guitar would sound a little sweeter without it. I got a L4-A with the guard on it and was thinking about removing it also. I like the beauty of the wood. If a person does not use a pick to play as myself. I would say leave it like you want. It your guitar, right! I have had a '63' Hummingbird for 36 years now and its all original. But a Humming Bird without a pick guard would not work. My Bird will be worth more in the years ahead. That will pay for my funeral, right!

Enjoy your Gibson / Spanish Oak, NC

Good Morning from: Spanish Oak' date=' NC

<snipped>

If a person does not use a pick to play as myself. I would say leave it like you want. It your guitar, right!

<snipped>

Enjoy your Gibson / Spanish Oak, NC[/quote']

See, that's where I'm coming from. I mostly strum with my fingers, and I'm trying to improve my finger picking. Occasionally, I will flat pick, but that's mostly soft stuff where I want the strings to ring. I just don't strum with a pick. I might just take the pickguard off my J-45 tomorrow.

All that said, with my J-45 I don't really care if I scratch it some. I'll consider it self-applied mojo. I play it a lot; might as well look like it. :-)

I have a clear pickguard on my Martin D-18AG.

Its the best of both worlds as it protects from pick scratching and does not cover up the looks of the top.

It is very thin, and has not become cloudy with time, it was made in 03.

I don't know who makes them or how it is attached, ( as no glue marks show thru), it came on the guitar from the factory.

Dale

I have a clear pickguard on my Martin D-18AG.

Its the best of both worlds as it protects from pick scratching and does not cover up the looks of the top.

It is very thin' date=' and has not become cloudy with time, it was made in 03.

I don't know who makes them or how it is attached, ( as no glue marks show thru), it came on the guitar from the factory.

Dale[/quote']

I've considered a clear pickguard, also. James Goodall puts clear pickguards on a lot of his guitars. I asked him about the material once, and he provided me with the vendor info. The vendor is Gurian Instruments

I asked the luthier about the "Martin way" and the "Gibson way" and any other ways to put these pick guards on. Very interesting. Martin used acetone and use a lot of it .. then practically liquefied one side of the pick guard. Then that "embedded" into the finish and was clamped onto the guitar (with a clamp that went around all of the bracing and struts) .. and you had to be careful )on any of them) not to have bubbles under them or they'd eventually come up. Then Martin would lacquer over the pick guard. Gibson would glue them on and also a lot of clamping, but Gibson has varied over the decades depending on who owned them. He says that on some he had to epoxy them on. Taylor used these modern adhesive backed pick guards (that is how the Tor-tis products come) and that is what he did on my J-100. Tortis is made by Greven Guitars who makes $10,000 dollar custom guitars .. .. still they all need to be clamped (mine is beautiful incidentally .. really beautiful ..not engraved but the Tor-tis is beautiful) (worth it) The Tor-tis has less deadening of sound as well as looks terrific. An excellent luthier -- I would not hand my Gibson over to anyone less. It is a gem!

Archived