Gibson Brands Forums

Somebody is going to be surprised....

J-200 Koa

Where does Gibson stand on this? - cos then the buyer of this 'new Gibson' goes on line telling the world how his new Gibson is crap as it cannot be tuned, starts to delaminate, sounds muffled...and how CQ has gone to hell etc..

seems to me, all we hear from them is the sound of silence..

So, here's the reply I got back from the seller, through ebay:

New message from: tikerkma0 (18)

You are a moroon..it is not a crime to sell a guitar. The guitar is Gibson brand and is a J 200. Authentic Gibson j 200 guitars sell for thousands. This guitar is fairly priced. If you don t like it don t buy it.

you can't expect much more from a f---tard like this.. he's not responded to my last reply. Any thing he does reply at this point will just be reported. eBay needs to do it's "thing", but they suck too, so if they do nuthin and some chuckle head is dumb enough to not see the obvious and buy it.. tuff darts,,.. a fool born every minute.. we tried..

Apparently Fender gets its panties in a wad if you even use a phrase such as "Fender style Stele." To me, this kind of stuff is one of the places where you guys are at your best. While I am pretty good with the older Gibsons and can ID a Regal, Schmidt, Kay and such without any kind of label or logo, I am a babe in the woods when it comes to Bozeman-made guitars.

Apparently Fender gets its panties in a wad if you even use a phrase such as "Fender style Stele." To me, this kind of stuff is one of the places where you guys are at your best. While I am pretty good with the older Gibsons and can ID a Regal, Schmidt, Kay and such without any kind of label or logo, I am a babe in the woods when it comes to Bozeman-made guitars.

Before you look at any characteristics of the guitar, the serial number is 2016015421. Uh....

At least they didn't steal a valid Gibson serial number.

Apparently Fender gets its panties in a wad if you even use a phrase such as "Fender style Stele."

Back in 2005 or 2006 I removed (and subsequently listed on ebay) a set of butterbean Grovers from my Gretsch Country Club because they sucked and replaced them with normal 102G's and ebay killed the auction, claiming that the owner of the copyrighted name had a standing order to kill off anything that contained one of their copyrighted names because they were king of the playground and that's that. FMIC owned Gretsch sooo....

Sorry for the run on sentence.

Just filed a report with Ebay. Here is automated reply:

This information is very important to us, so please be assured that we will thoroughly review it and take action if necessary.

If there's a violation, the action we take depends on how it impacts our community. In some cases, we explain the situation to the seller, and the listing will remain on our website. If the item or listing doesn't follow our rules, we may cancel the listing. We may also restrict the seller's buying and selling activities on eBay.

"After they explain situation to the seller, the listing will remain on our website"???

Ebay does NOT care unless they think they are missing out on money. I had an auction for a lot of 51 old pegboard guitar hangers. A guy messaged me through ebay and made some lowball offer that amounted to about 30 cents each, which I declined. Today I got an email from ebay chastising me for conspiring to sell outside of ebay. I called them and got someone in India of course. He apologized all over the place and said in this case (after him reading my messages) the bidder was completely at fault and there would be no mark against me. I would hope not. "Hey, I'm thinking about killing you" (and both get charged with murder).

The email went so far as to state that I could be charged final value fees for the item whether a sale actually took place or not.

I'm just about fed up with their foolishness. I made the comment to my wife this morning that years ago, leftover crap around the house could be put on ebay and not only was a sale pretty much guaranteed, most times the item sold for more than expected. In 2018 we are guilty whether we re proven innocent or not, items often don't sell for months, and they gouge us for every penny that they can get. There's no incentive to sell on there anymore.

What is unfortunate is that we can't message the bidders to warn them.. eBay sucks.. I use that crap hole as little as possible. If some one is this frikken dumb, let them loose their money. We did what we could.

Edited by kidblast
  • Upvote 1

So, here's the reply I got back from the seller, through ebay:

New message from: tikerkma0 (18)

You are a moroon..it is not a crime to sell a guitar. The guitar is Gibson brand and is a J 200. Authentic Gibson j 200 guitars sell for thousands. This guitar is fairly priced. If you don t like it don t buy it.

I reported it to eBay.

One of you should just make sure you win the auction

Then set fire to the guitar

Properly sorted

That makes no sense. The seller, knowingly selling counterfeit goods, makes a lot of money, and the evidence gets destroyed.

I find this whole episode discouraging. A seller who seems oblivious to the moral and legal implications of what he is doing, and a commercial platform that seemingly couldn't care less.

That makes no sense. The seller, knowingly selling counterfeit goods, makes a lot of money, and the evidence gets destroyed.

I find this whole episode discouraging. A seller who seems oblivious to the moral and legal implications of what he is doing, and a commercial platform that seemingly couldn't care less.

Agreed in the strongest possible terms.

For grins I went and looked and saw the seller also has put up a 1964 Gibson Folksinger. No bids but when you toss in the somewhat extravagant shipping charge not much of a bargain. He has also sold at least one other Gibson in the past as well as other musical instruments. These look kosher.

Edited by zombywoof

We all know the rules here. eBay is for educated buyers when it comes to auctions like this. This seller is a pr!ck and doesn't care. My buddy has a lot of experience, and he assumes they will due something, he's had some involvements with eBay support in the past with hostile/unreasonable buyers sand claims they have done a good job in those instances.

But I am not sure how they will follow through with this.

Too bad we can message these folks who are bidding, just to give a heads up that it's counterfeit. They are obviously oblivious that they're about to be had.

Same as it ever was.

rct

it's up to $1,300 now,, someone is hot to trot for this. I feel bad for them,, they clearly have no clue.

And has been mentioned before, the buyer of this guitar is likely to be a bit uneducated about counterfeits. He will get a POS guitar, and will go online and start bashing Gibson for producing junk. That's not good for Gibson, and it's not good for those of us who own Gibson guitars.

The seller's attitude seems to be that since it says Gibson on the headstock and Gibson on the label, it's a Gibson J-200. But then he says an authentic J-200 would sell for thousands of dollars, so somebody is getting a bargain.

Clueless, amoral idiot.