Gibson Brands Forums

Somebody is going to be surprised....

J-200 Koa

I saw a piece on e-commerce yesterday that stated that up to 30% of the transactions on ebay, Amazon, and a couple of other platforms I was not familiar with involve counterfeit goods.

It is clear that the operators of those platforms have zero incentive to police this, since it would obviously result in a significant reduction in profitability.

It's a pretty sad commentary on the times.

about 1 hour left.

Current bid $1,950.00...

oh the humanity!

Apparently this seller DID get the message / messages. I hadn't even asked him for the serial number yet [laugh]

Hello, I just wanted to let you know that this is a replica j 200. That was why I had it listed for a grand. I didn't expect that it would sell for so much. I know that authentic J 200s sell for thousands. You don't have to make the payment and I completely understand. Sorry for any confusion..I will relist the guitar and be sure to make clear it's a copy. Thanks for your understanding

he didn't relist or amend anything

Item specifics

Condition:

New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is ... Read more

about the condition

Brand:

Gibson

Model:

J 200

Winning bid $2,650.00

he didn't relist or amend anything

Item specifics

Condition:

New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is ... Read more

about the condition

Brand:

Gibson

Model:

J 200

Winning bid $2,650.00

Someone will be (or should be) seriously upset when they realize what they have bought. My guess it will ultimately get returned to the seller, and may show up again in some way, perhaps advertised as a "replica".

The serial number, by the way, was clearly visible in the photos, and was in a format never used by any Gibson division.

Someone will be (or should be) seriously upset when they realize what they have bought. My guess it will ultimately get returned to the seller, and may show up again in some way, perhaps advertised as a "replica".

The serial number, by the way, was clearly visible in the photos, and was in a format never used by any Gibson division.

Sorry for the apparent confusion. I "won" the auction. The seller sent me the note I quoted immediately after the auction was over, before I even got the wheels rolling on the adventure that was to happen next. Step 1 would have been to request the serial. Step 2 was to refuse to pay because it was falsely represented in the listing.

I was one of the few that contacted ebay during the auction. I'm guessing they may have contacted the seller and advised caution.

Sorry for the apparent confusion. I "won" the auction. The seller sent me the note I quoted immediately after the auction was over, before I even got the wheels rolling on the adventure that was to happen next. Step 1 would have been to request the serial. Step 2 was to refuse to pay because it was falsely represented in the listing.

I was one of the few that contacted ebay during the auction. I'm guessing they may have contacted the seller and advised caution.

I thought that might be the case, but wasn't certain.

I contacted ebay during the sale, and reported it as a sale of counterfeit goods. I got an acknowledgement of my contact, but that was it. No response on the substance.

So where do you stand now in this process? It seems like you've undertaken a certain amount of risk here, so I assume you have a plan.

Did you bid multiple times, or go in and snipe at the last minute to make sure you would win? If you bid multiple times, you may inadvertently have encouraged others to believe the guitar was real, and to continue bidding.

I seen this one, tho the seller has clearly stated that it is made in China and he does not show the headstock saying "Gibson" but he is using Gibson's model numbers and names.

But, then again it's 381 bucks with free shipping, so most buyers should know it's not a Gibson.

E-bay sale J200

not the same seller apparently.. and CUSTOM J200 "Humingbird"? OOOOhhhkay...

I was probably the first to report this, and there was literally NO response from eBay to me at all.

Anyway, Thanks for clearing that up Paul, you are probably right, eBay must have reached out to the guy. Good to know that someone didn't get boned on this one

btw nice knowing that you were on this guys heels... good on ya!

Edited by kidblast

• 2 years later...
On 2/25/2018 at 10:05 AM, j45nick said:

Before you look at any characteristics of the guitar, the serial number is 2016015421. Uh....

At least they didn't steal a valid Gibson serial number.

Sooo, I randomly stumbled across this thread when researching this post on FB Marketplace for a Gibson Hummingbird with this same serial number.   Several cursory serial number searches indicate it’s an invalid serial.  The old links and images are defunct from this thread, but is this the same guitar about to take somebody else for a ride?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/602764493996677/