Gibson Brands Forums

How Many Guitars Do You Need?

IanHenry

I've been given a bit of a dilemma, my Wife has offered to buy me a Les Paul R8 for my birthday (it's not until the end of the year), I've always fancied one but the thing is I already own 3 Les Paul's, a Classic Antique, a traditional and a Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute, not to mention an ES335. My dilemma is can I justify getting another Les Paul, I'm pretty sure the new one would force one of my current guitars into retirement (I don't sell guitars).

To quote my old boss when I wanted to use the departments money for something new "Do you need it or do you want it", clearly I don't need the guitar but do I want it? Of course I do! but as my playing is for my entertainment with the exception of a handful of charity gigs every year.

How many guitars do you have and how many do you need (of course you don't need a guitar, it's not a life or death situation)?

Ian

I need one. I'd prefer to keep two; my R0 and my mid-1940's Antoine di Mauro 'Modele Special Chorus' f-hole archtop Gypsy-Jazzer.

I have 13. That's unlucky. Some should go...

FWIW as far as your dilemma goes, Ian. I'd accept the R8.

If you can go on the hunt and find/choose The One for yourself then you won't miss the other three. Honestly.

I have the best 4 LPs I've ever played but if it came down to it I'd have absolutely no regrets about keeping the R0 and selling-off the other three. Truth be told at the moment the 'other three' are still in storage where they have been since last August and, having the R0 to hand, I don't miss them. I don't need to sell them (yet?!) but if needs must then out the door they will go. I actually feel embarrassed by NOT playing them. They NEED to be played. My Bad, I'm sorry to say.

Go on an R8 Hunt. Find the one which speaks to you and "Your Life Will Change for the Better"...

JMHO.

Pip.

EDIT : I leave my Epi Hummingbird in the house in France we always go to so that would mean I'd prefer to keep three...

There's no one pat answer for everybody.

The standard response is usually, "However many guitars you have, plus one".

My advice to you, IanHenry, is to wait and think on it.

You admit that you don't need another Les Paul, and quite honestly, there's no rush to make a decision.

If I sensed a great deal of excitement in your original posting, regarding the acquisition of the R8, then it might be a different story.

But as it is, you really don't sound all that fired up about retiring one of your current guitars in favor of an unknown quantity.

[unsure]

I don't get having more than one guitar with similar characteristics, and have always sent one out as one came in after comparing them. Except for my Guild hollow bod electric, I'm only interested in owning 50+ year old acoustics that hold value and now own 4. If I HAD to crunch down I'd keep 2 acoustics and the electric. That day may actually be in my future based on the economy and a possible move.

Minimum:

A steel-string acoustic

A nylon-string acoustic

An F-hole archtop with humbucker(s)

A solid-body with humbuckers

A solid-body with single coils (see below)

A bass guitar

In addition to above, the following are desirable:

Another F-hole archtop with heavier tapewound strings

A Telecaster

A Strat

A Gibson with P90s

A 'beater' tuned for slide or to mod and experiment on

I don't have 13 guitars (10 and a bass, they all get played) but I couldn't possibly cut it down to 2.

As they are all guitars they all do the same thing but each does it differently!! [biggrin]

They MUST get played regularly; by that criteria I have more than enough.

A steel-string acoustic

A nylon-string acoustic

An F-hole archtop with humbucker(s)

A solid-body with humbuckers

A solid-body with single coils

A bass guitar...

Another F-hole archtop with heavier tapewound strings

A Telecaster

A Strat

A Gibson with P90s

A 'beater' tuned for slide or to mod and experiment on...

They MUST get played regularly; by that criteria I have more than enough.

Strangely enough in comparison to your list of 11 I currently have (tapewounds apart) 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9 and 11.

I had a '71 Fender bass but never played it and have never got-on with P-90s but I would like a nylon-strung acoustic......if only I didn't feel the need to cull the herd already.........

Pip.

I think I mentioned this before?

The "correct" number of guitars to own can be explained quite simply....it's N+1, where N is the number already owned.

There is another additional factor as well to give us an equation;, N+1=D-1, where N is the number of guitars owned and D is the number owned before divorce occurs....

Simple really?

hang on there a second bubba.. yer wife wants to buy you an R8, and this is a problem because you already have too many les pauls?

this is not possible,... too many les pauls,,, I don't understand?

we do live in a strange wild world...

I have 2 Standards, I'd do another (2 or 3 for that matter) in a heartbeat.

ya can't have too many les pauls.. you can't...

[thumbup]

msp_confused.gifHow many are there?msp_confused.gif

All of them is an answer that comes to mind.

How many do you guys need? I'll take what's left.

After Joe Bonamassa gets through buying them all there will only be a couple left though.

After Joe Bonamassa gets through buying them all there will only be a couple left though.

the guy I usually work with at Sweetwater says at any given time, they about close to 70k guitars in their warehouse. And that's just SWEETwater..

I think not even Joe has that kind of time and money.

:unsure:

yea, why doesn't Joe just buy Gibson ?

I can't see the point of a room full of the same guitar. If you love Les Paul type guitars, Get a Knaggs or a PRS. Or get some old models. A couple of Strat/Tele types then a few semi/Hollow body . As for how many? Just one more.

Are you a Pro who uses them as Tools?

I'm a Pro Working Musician & Recording Artist/Session Player & have about 35 different Guitars. Each one I consider a Tool to do a certain job or to have a certain Sound.

I just got a new Silverado Crew Cab Pickup. I don't need it but I wanted it.

I don't use it for work. I use it for pleasure. Personally I don't see anything wrong with working hard & rewarding yourself with something you don't need but want as long as you can afford it.

Do I need or want 2 Silverados? No.

If I were you I'd Consider broadening my horizons & investigate something other than another LP. Maybe a Fender, Gretsch, Epi, Ric or ?

There is a difference between how many I want and how many I need. Since you asked "need" here goes:

1) A gigging electric guitar

2) Pretty much a duplicate to a gigging guitar for a back-up

3) An acoustic or acoustic electric so it can be played without plugging it in.

That's all I need.

Insights and incites by Notes

All my Les Pauls have different characteristics, for example one has P90's, Having said that, I do think in this instance, getting an R8 would be kind of doubling up with the Traditional.

No I'm not a regular giging musician I play with a band but we only play charity gig's at a couple of hospices etc. In an illogical way I do feel guilty about leaving some guitars little played.

Another way of looking at it is that your not going to be here forever so what the hell, if my Wife and I don't spend it some other bugger will [rolleyes]

Ian

Archived