Gibson Brands Forums

How Many Guitars Do You Need?

IanHenry

I've been given a bit of a dilemma, my Wife has offered to buy me a Les Paul R8 for my birthday (it's not until the end of the year), I've always fancied one but the thing is I already own 3 Les Paul's, a Classic Antique, a traditional and a Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute, not to mention an ES335. My dilemma is can I justify getting another Les Paul, I'm pretty sure the new one would force one of my current guitars into retirement (I don't sell guitars).

To quote my old boss when I wanted to use the departments money for something new "Do you need it or do you want it", clearly I don't need the guitar but do I want it? Of course I do! but as my playing is for my entertainment with the exception of a handful of charity gigs every year.

How many guitars do you have and how many do you need (of course you don't need a guitar, it's not a life or death situation)?

Ian

I have 12, and I need one or two more, nothing dramatic.

Your Mrs is wonderful to offer such a thing. In your condition of already having two too many Les Pauls, I'd suggest spending that R8 money on a really nice Tele and Strat.

rct

...I'd suggest spending that R8 money on a really nice Tele and Strat...

If that's the direction in which we're going to head then I'd suggest getting the R8, selling the other three LPs and spending THAT money on a really nice Tele and Strat...

msp_smile.gif

Pip.

I've been given a bit of a dilemma, my Wife has offered to buy me a Les Paul R8 for my birthday (it's not until the end of the year), I've always fancied one but the thing is I already own 3 Les Paul's, a Classic Antique, a traditional and a Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute, not to mention an ES335. My dilemma is can I justify getting another Les Paul, I'm pretty sure the new one would force one of my current guitars into retirement (I don't sell guitars).

To quote my old boss when I wanted to use the departments money for something new "Do you need it or do you want it", clearly I don't need the guitar but do I want it? Of course I do! but as my playing is for my entertainment with the exception of a handful of charity gigs every year.

How many guitars do you have and how many do you need (of course you don't need a guitar, it's not a life or death situation)?

Ian

I have 26 guitars. Regarding what I "need": I could probably get by on three - a 6 string acoustic, a 12 sting acoustic and a 6 string electric.

I have a kind of collection, and I really enjoy variety. So all of my guitars have different characteristics/specs beyond the finish - all have different combinations of tonewoods/sizes/shapes/pups and/or string numbers (6/12). That's plenty of variety. . [thumbup]

I could see having more than one or two LP's if they were all different in some way/s. OTH, from a pure collection standpoint, I can see owning more than one or two of the same LP's for someone that say, appreciates different finishes.

To your dilemma - I see no reason not to accept your wife's generous gift offer. Once you receive it and play it, take some time to assess your collection and then decide if you want to keep everything or make a change. Making changes is part of collecting, no matter the size of the collection. Over the years my total number of guitars has gone up and down depending I what I like and what I might decide to part with. After you assess, perhaps you might follow Pippy's suggestion in the above post.

Let us know what you decide. . B)

Ian

I have no idea how many anyone needs. But, I do know that if one of them could be an R8, then one of them should be an R8! msp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

As to "How Many Guitars Do You Need? As many (or as few) as will get the job(s) done!

Beyond that, it's merely a matter of "Love" (or Lust) for guitars, IMHO. And, as long

as one can truly afford them, and they don't bankrupt oneself, or one's family, what the

heck?! You can't take 'em with you, but...you can pass them down, or your children

can sell them, later, if need be. Just Enjoy! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

4 or 5 maybe?

By the way, I agree with this number. [thumbup] Two of them these are Classical LP with the 2 humbucker and Fender Strat . Because the said Strat and LP are different in form and give different sensations in the game suitable for different songs. Further, one LP with the 3 humbucker is desirable. However one Strat model with 3 humbuckers is also desirable ](*,) B) because the different sensations in the game, I said. And plus acoustic guitar, that are 5 guitar totally.

How many do I need? Two. A good classical guitar, since I play classical. A good electric guitar, since I also play electric. I currently own 7 guitars.

But, if my lovely wife came to me and said she was buying an R8, R9, or R0 for me, I'd say thank you and play the heck out of it. I play them in rotation and love the different playability and tone out of each that I already own and would add that into my rotation.

Are you turning 60 and said to her that you always thought it would be nice to get this particular guitar to celebrate?

I ask because I doubt my wife could pick the difference between a Strat and a Les Paul if I showed her pictures of them, let alone determine a very specific model such as an R8 to buy many months before my birthday. [confused]

I dunno - perhaps you could give the other 3 away to promising young local players - then you would 'need' a Les Paul maybe?

As a teen, 13 Yrs old into my 20's I collected around 13 or more guitars, a banjo and a steel electric guitar. I found myself not playing most of them anymore and played around 3 or 4 mostly. I got rid of all of them eventually after I married. The last 5 years I bought 6 and one I never played again so I sold it. Now I play 3 mostly depending on what song it is as I do love changing guitars. I love the Acoustic for country, the Jag. for surf, the Gibson and Gretsch for 60's and 70's. Then I just love that Custom Epiphone's Burst Buckers and can't get enough of it too. But, if my wife wanted to get me a Lucille or a custom Gibson or a Guild Acoustic, I sure wouldn't turn it down. But with what I have, I try playing them all.

Archived