Gibson Brands Forums

es-335 or es-339?

baldwch2

339 is a great value, but it does not quite have as much of the (semi) hollowbody character that a fullsized 335 has. That's a good thing IMO. Not much more to say that hasn't been said here already on other threads (some of which have the same exact title as yours).

The essential difference is one of body size -- the cosntruction methods and materials are very similar (unlike the 336 and 356 which are hollowed out of solid mahogany with a maple cap, rather than the 335/339 ply top, back and sides).

I'm a 356 partisan, but agree that the 339 is a great value at the moment. I'd also say that though some small percentage of a 335's sound and tone may not quite be there in the smaller-bodied models, you may find as many others have, that you just don't miss or even notice what little might be missing (if you see what I'm saying).

Also note, if you're extremely comfortable with the Fender scale length and/or have trouble moving back and forth to the shorter Gibson scale length, that the "Johnny A" model has a construction method very similar to the 336/356 (though more fully hollow inside) but it uses the longer Fender scale.

My 356 is a stop-tail, and I don't generally get on well with Bigsbys... so I can't help you on that.

Archived