Gibson Brands Forums

PRS now do Fenders

Rabs

:o

https://www.gearnews.com/prs-john-mayer-signature-silver-sky-model-leaked/

$2299.00

Youll no doubt remember the PRS John Mayer Signature teased via Johns Instagram page… This mysterious model has now been leaked by OctaveMusic, a PRS dealer in the USA lets dive into the specifications of this new model!

Leaked

The new PRS John Mayer Signature model is obviously based on a Fender Stratocaster. It has an alder body and a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard featuring small PRS bird inlays. The neck has 22 frets and a 7.25″ radius with a 635JM neck shape (based on a 1963/1964 Fender neck profile) plus a bone nut and a reverse PRS headstock shape with three-a-side vintage style locking tuners.

The John Mayer Signature guitar has a steel tremolo bridge unit and nickel hardware throughout. It looks like it will come loaded with a set of 635JM single coil pickups wired to a single Volume control, with two Tone knobs with a 5-way blade pickup switch.

Silver Sky

The guitar appears to be called the Silver Sky, with four finishes listed. The only version we have seen is the Frost version above that was listed on the Octave Music website.

Because the PRS bridge on the Silver Sky is set up flush to the body in the neutral position, the tremolo bridge only goes down in pitch, so youll not get any pitch up pulls. But it should sustain quite nicely with the extra contact to the alder body.

Im not a huge fan of the reverse PRS headstock, but Ill have to just get used to this new one I suppose. The page has since been taken down, but luckily I got a few screenshots beforehand…

kCi0VDS.jpg

Q7GaGws.jpg

Well, .. see there may be some people who have just arrived on the planet that would be taken a back to find out these are based on Fender Stratocasters.

I'm not one of them but just sayin..

IMO, it's the same argument that I have on Suhr.

If I want a Stratocaster, (Wups, already have 2) I do sort of want "Fender" on the head stock. so kill me, I'm a sucker for tradition..

Well, .. see there may be some people who have just arrived on the planet that would be taken a back to find out these are based on Fender Stratocasters.

I'm not one of them but just sayin..

IMO, it's the same argument that I have on Suhr.

If I want a Stratocaster, (Wups, already have 2) I do sort of want "Fender" on the head stock. so kill me, I'm a sucker for tradition..

Its the birds and the headstock... Its just very confusing to my simple mind :)

The thing is im generally quite open minded to things... My own guitars aren't exactly what most people would call normal.. But just looking at that PRS weirds my head out :)

Yep...I'm a traditional "Luddite," as well! If you want/need a "Fender" BUY a FENDER! I'm quite sure their Custom Shop

would make you any "Fender" you could dream up, with the quality (and price) to match. PRS couldn't come up with an original

design of their own??? Oh, wait...their guitars are based on Les Paul's (single and double cut)...never mind! [flapper][biggrin]

CB

I've said it before and I'll said it again. If I'm going to buy a Les Paul, it will be a real Gibson Les Paul and not some wannabe lookalike. The PRS single cutaway looks ridiculous to me and why pay that much for it?

The same goes for a Fender Strat. I'm going to buy a real one and not a fake one. Especially not a John Mayer fake one because I am not a fan of his and the price is ridiculous.

I don't like the way their guitars look, play or sound but that's my personal opinion.

One of the nicest PRS's to my eyes.

Ever seen an Epiphone S 310 Rabs? Know what company made those?

many have copied the design.. But.. just like with the Gibson's flagships. there's only ONE Strat,, and one Tele... it's really that cut and dry...

One of the nicest PRS's to my eyes.

Ever seen an Epiphone S 310 Rabs? Know what company made those?

Well I do now.. I prefer the look of that just cos of the headstock..

This PRS with the birds and the three a side headstock just looks weird with that body shape.. well to me anyway.. If there are people who like it, that's ok with me too. Takes all sorts :)

Let us not forget this :unsure:

diJEZrE.jpg

This PRS with the birds and the three a side headstock just looks weird with that body shape.. well to me anyway.. If there are people who like it, that's ok with me too. Takes all sorts :)

diJEZrE.jpg

Trust me, my comment on the PRS was an ironic reflection on how little I fancy most of their in-house designs rather than any great affection for their Strat.

I prefer their headlock over those things you just posted - I kind of get the ergonomics of reverse head stocks but am yet to see a version I like.

I think it’s awful. Maybe Mr. Mayer wanted to say Ferk You to Fender for whatever happened to them. Maybe he realized the saying ,”Dance with who brung ya” or maybe he still wants a Strat but can’t use his Fenders so lets go with PRS.

Not that anyone gives a ferk about my opinion, but I would have taken my fame, gotten together with a well known quality manufacturer like PRS and designed something completely unique but with the specs that I need to keep on playing what got me there in the first place.

yea, that headstock is hideous.

so what are you getting for $2300, Bird inlays ?

The slightly rounded heel and chamfered lower cutaway give unprecedented upper fret access and TONE :P

To be honest I don’t think $2,300 is a terrible price for a quality American made guitar but I would just buy a nice LP with that money instead

Not that anyone gives a ferk about my opinion, but I would have taken my fame, gotten together with a well known quality manufacturer like PRS and designed something completely unique but with the specs that I need to keep on playing what got me there in the first place.

That's refreshing to hear Tman. I'm with you on that.

PRS have slightly devalued my opinion of them with this, but they are doing no less than most all other guitar builders.

That includes Gibson & Fender of course....

320px-Mvx.jpg$_86.JPG

I have no problem with 'copies'. I just think it very sad that anyone feels the need to copy. What is it about these 60 year old designs that is thought to be so special? The lack of imagination and innovation is appalling.

I would buy a 'copy' if it was better than the original, but I'd prefer a different design best of all.

Archived