Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson pickup question

AngelDeVille

I just picked up a 91 SG Standard.

The guy I got it from has had it for 2.5 years, he was told the bridge pickup was changed sometime in it's past.

What pickups to I have here?

Normally I wouldn't care as long as it plays well, but now I'm curious.

This is the neck pickup, supposedly it is unchanged.

20180305_210455_2.jpg

The bridge pickup has the patent number... And it was pointed out elsewhere the rounded tabs arent normal.

20180305_210445_2.jpg

Cavity pic...

20180305_211009_2.jpg

Let me know if any other info would be helpful.

Thanks.

From what I’ve read Gibson used various pickups in this time period without really disclosing any change

The one on top looks like it could be a stock 490

The one on the bottom one has the same base plate as a T Top, which Gibson still used randomly into the 90s apparently. Supposedly the Tim Shaw pickups usually have a date on them whereas the 90s ones did not

From what I’ve read Gibson used various pickups in this time period without really disclosing any change

The one on top looks like it could be a stock 490

The one on the bottom one has the same base plate as a T Top, which Gibson still used randomly into the 90s apparently. Supposedly the Tim Shaw pickups usually have a date on them whereas the 90s ones did not

Ok, thanks, so it could be the stock pickup.

Someone has fiddled about in the control cavity, the neck volume pot may have been replaced, and there is random soldering elsewhere.

Im not going to lose any sleep over a 27 year old guitars past lovers.

I think it is probably stock, and the rounded mounting tabs indicate that it is not a “t top” but the sorta transitional pickup between the t top and 490

Maybe someone with more info will chime in, that was about the best I can do!

I think it is probably stock, and the rounded mounting tabs indicate that it is not a “t top” but the sorta transitional pickup between the t top and 490

Maybe someone with more info will chime in, that was about the best I can do!

That sounds reasonable, I have no clue how many owners she has had.

Maybe since there were some electronics changes it was assumed a pickup was changed since they don't match.

Archived