Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Scoox

Possible to have global variable used by two controllers?

Finally going to try giving DD a proper chance and ditch Traktor, so I'm in writing a controller script for my DJ Tech Tools Midi Fighter Twister (MFT), and a Novation Launchpad S (LPS).

I need to implement banks for my MFT so each encoder can do more than one thing. When DJing, the most effective way of switching banks is by pressing buttons, so usually I have one button for each bank. The problem is that the MFT doesn't have any buttons ont the top (I don't want to use the push encoders for switching banks). It has 6 side buttons but these are both too stiff and really not convenient to press as you usually need two hands, so what I would like to do is use 4 buttons of my Launchpad S to switch MFT banks, so I guess what I need is some kind of super global variable that could be accessed by the scripts of all controllers.

If currently there is no way to do this, would it be possible for LSD to add, say, 32 new commands that can be read and written using set() and get(), just like regular commands, but which are not linked to an actual software parameter? This would enable scripts to communicate with each other. Of course, if this is already possible then I'd love to know how, Thanks!

It's not possible to use a global var but your request about adding user commands is very good, I will add them. By the moment the only command that you can use for storage of a true/false value is "LINK_TO_HOST" because it's not used internally by DD at this moment.

It's not possible to use a global var but your request about adding user commands is very good, I will add them. By the moment the only command that you can use for storage of a true/false value is "LINK_TO_HOST" because it's not used internally by DD at this moment.

Thank you!! This will save me me having to solder external switches [biggrin]. For now I will use LINK_TO_HOST to create some sort of simple "serial protocol" to enable communication between scripts. Actually, in Traktor I used a similar trick to do the same thing, using the Deck Selector state as a global flag.