Gibson Brands Forums

Gotta call from music store John

Tman

John from Instrumental called me and said guess what, we just got in an SG Custom in Ebony. Want to come and take a look? He knows that things have been tough lately (wife's parents still living with us). He also knows I wanted a Gibson custom but it had to be lightweight. The call was like kryptonite to me. I felt all sense ooze (correct ooze) outta my body, I was helpless.

I told him, John, I can't afford it now, maybe in 6 months. He said I know where you work so I'm not worried about you taking off, we'll work something out plus I'll give you a really great price, much better than the internet stores.

OK, I'll look, it's been a tough day and hell, it'll be fun to at least try it.

I took it home! I was powerless. I was the first to touch it however which made it easier. I played it until past midnight. Gig in 3 weeks. The neck is perfect! It's so light. I'm in love!

Use%203_zps5xzlfzss.jpg

Use%204_zps2hehgtgb.jpg

Very cool!

Your story is the biggest reason why I try to always buy from my local shop..............

Have to admit, I've never been a huge SG guy, but they've been growing on me lately and that one certainly doesn't help.......lol.

NHTom

That is great - congratulations. You will enjoy it I'm sure. There is something very basic and fundamental about an SG, just a slab of mahogany, a couple pickups, solid neck and away you go. Nice and light, easy upper fret access and a good range of tone for something that doesn't have multiple tonewoods, or chambers etc.

Nice to have a good relationship with a store too, since I moved down here to a more remote area I don't have that anymore. Five years ago when I first got here I started to develop something with a couple shops, but they both went out of business so I am limited to on-line or big box about an hour away.

Anyway great score [thumbup] [thumbup]

Good for you brother. It's one beautiful guitar and you could've sent it to me as a birthday gift. I'll forgive you cause it's late. :rolleyes:

I did think about you 3 days before my birthday, I hope it was good!

This is kind of a belated present to myself I have to admit. [biggrin]

Here's Johnny! I tell him he looks like a rock star because he really does.

bbacd0b7-2da3-4258-a5de-a176c58f6996_zpsft1cba2x.jpg

Here's me at midnight after nearly a bottle of wine. [thumbup] (Feeling it today however. Luckily I'm the late shift tonight, had a chance to catch some ZZZ'z). Damn I need to lose some pounds.

45286a37-e990-4161-a2fa-6b7d0a88fafb_zps2tc0u3fg.jpg

John from Instrumental called me and said guess what, we just got in an SG Custom in Ebony. Want to come and take a look? He knows that things have been tough lately (wife's parents still living with us). He also knows I wanted a Gibson custom but it had to be lightweight. The call was like kryptonite to me. I felt all sense ooze (correct ooze) outta my body, I was helpless.

I told him, John, I can't afford it now, maybe in 6 months. He said I know where you work so I'm not worried about you taking off, we'll work something out plus I'll give you a really great price, much better than the internet stores.

OK, I'll look, it's been a tough day and hell, it'll be fun to at least try it.

I took it home! I was powerless. I was the first to touch it however which made it easier. I played it until past midnight. Gig in 3 weeks. The neck is perfect! It's so light. I'm in love!

Use%203_zps5xzlfzss.jpg

Use%204_zps2hehgtgb.jpg

That is stunning! Congrats!!! My local (favorite) dealer knows when to call me too. There are some things the online retailers cannot do - and that is knowing your tastes, what you're looking for, and in my case - what guitars I don't already own. Enjoy it brother!!! [thumbup]

Very cool!

Your story is the biggest reason why I try to always buy from my local shop..............

Have to admit, I've never been a huge SG guy, but they've been growing on me lately and that one certainly doesn't help.......lol.

NHTom

You don't have an SG yet??? [confused]

Admin - please suspend NHTOM's user account until he properly acquires an SG. Thank you. [tongue]

Wow congrats Tman!! That is a beauty

Would you mind telling me what store that is? I’m in SoCal too and that sounds like a cool place

Thanks! It is Instrumental Music. They are in Thousand Oaks and also Ventura. Maybe other places too but those 2 I know for sure. They are a Gibson 5 Star dealer. If you go let me know, you can meet John (he has a local band here) and we could shake hands. I'm always up for meeting fellow forumites. [thumbup]

That is stunning! Congrats!!! My local (favorite) dealer knows when to call me too. There are some things the online retailers cannot do - and that is knowing your tastes, what you're looking for, and in my case - what guitars I don't already own. Enjoy it brother!!! [thumbup]

Thanks! One funny thing that went through my head last night was, "I wonder if the Rev already has one!" [flapper]

Great story and evidence of some fine folks working in 'shops'......[thumbup]

One of the most unfortunate aspects of modern retail is the demise of many local, small, knowledgeable and friendly music shops

Places where some iconic artists used to hang out, play, teach, drink coffee and almost never actually buy anything......dry.gif

After my 70's Ovation Breadwinner became unreliable electrically....my safe step was to exchange it for a cherry SG.....[thumbup]

Later on acquiring a Gordon Smith type SG and a Gibson SG3 single coiler.....[thumbup]

One of the great creations in electric music.....

Enjoy.....

Big Time.....

V

:-({|=

Guest Farnsbarns

Here's Johnny! I tell him he looks like a rock star because he really does.

bbacd0b7-2da3-4258-a5de-a176c58f6996_zpsft1cba2x.jpg

Here's me at midnight after nearly a bottle of wine. [thumbup] (Feeling it today however. Luckily I'm the late shift tonight, had a chance to catch some ZZZ'z). Damn I need to lose some pounds.

45286a37-e990-4161-a2fa-6b7d0a88fafb_zps2tc0u3fg.jpg

Congrats on the guitar. Now what's all this about "nearly a bottle" at midnight? You can do better than that. You obviously weren't trying.

Archived