Gibson Brands Forums

J15 in the house

rbpicker

Well, since having sold my J45 to Sal, I’ve been missing the Gibson slope shoulder feel, sound, and cool vibe. I stopped by my favorite local shop yesterday and picked a J15 off the wall. First strum said “take me home”. I continued to play it, and really loved the sound and vibe. Not a J45 sound, but a great sound all it’s own. I’ve owned walnut guitars in the past and like the clarity and “between rosewood and mahogany” sound that they have.

I’ll remove the pick guard, change out the tuners and put a bone nut and saddle and bone pins in to see how the voice might respond to those changes. It’s great the way it is, but I’m a tinkerer, so will spend some time messing with it.

I’ll try to figure out the picture posting puzzle when it’s all dressed up like I want it. Maybe I’ll record a video and post that as well.

What a great value these guitars are. This one is a ‘17 model and was priced accordingly. They have really gone up this year, I understand.

Roger

• Like 1

Well, since having sold my J45 to Sal, I’ve been missing the Gibson slope shoulder feel, sound, and cool vibe. I stopped by my favorite local shop yesterday and picked a J15 off the wall. First strum said “take me home”. I continued to play it, and really loved the sound and vibe. Not a J45 sound, but a great sound all it’s own. I’ve owned walnut guitars in the past and like the clarity and “between rosewood and mahogany” sound that they have.

I’ll remove the pick guard, change out the tuners and put a bone nut and saddle and bone pins in to see how the voice might respond to those changes. It’s great the way it is, but I’m a tinkerer, so will spend some time messing with it.

I’ll try to figure out the picture posting puzzle when it’s all dressed up like I want it. Maybe I’ll record a video and post that as well.

What a great value these guitars are. This one is a ‘17 model and was priced accordingly. They have really gone up this year, I understand.

Roger

Good on ya! I have one guitar with Walnut B/S (the Halcyon NL-00) and really like the tone as well. Play on.

• 1 year later...

Well, actually Sal ....(I think you know what I’m going to say)... the J15 went the way of a number of great guitars that I’ve owned.  It wasn’t filling the void I’d hoped it would so I sold it and searched until I found my current 45, replacing the one I sold you. 

It it was a good one, in fact the guy who bought had had one before, but this one sounded so good he had to have it.....the Circle of life I guess, laws of the jungle stuff.   A little silly, but that’s what happened.

roger

6 hours ago, rbpicker said:

Well, actually Sal ....(I think you know what I’m going to say)... the J15 went the way of a number of great guitars that I’ve owned.  It wasn’t filling the void I’d hoped it would so I sold it and searched until I found my current 45, replacing the one I sold you. 

It it was a good one, in fact the guy who bought had had one before, but this one sounded so good he had to have it.....the Circle of life I guess, laws of the jungle stuff.   A little silly, but that’s what happened.

roger

I relate... as you know.  By the way I played your old J45 for a few songs at a job just this Friday night. My partner Mike loves it, and I really enjoy that he does... and that I get to  pop in like an Uncle..

Edited by ThemisSal

The J15 is a great guitar.  10000% Gibson........My problem is that once I got my J100 Walnut, the 15's playtime began to shrink.  I love the Gibson slope shape, but my other Gibson slopes fill that need.  J15s are awesome guitars and the price is definitely right.  After this thread, looks like I'll have start using it more at gigs........Sorry Sweetie.  I'll make it up to you.😭

I recently decided I was going to try to start playing again after many years. I am a violin maker and have spent too much time working over the last 20 years and decided it was time to do something about it.  I have acquired a J-15 and absolutely love it!!! I had a J-35 years ago and sold it. I have regretted that move for years. I love the slope should models but I really like this walnt version!