Gibson Brands Forums

Firebird pickups

dc3c46

Lately I am contemplating about changing the pickups

of my 2008 Firebird V as they seem a bit harsh to me.

I'm trending towards a Mojotone Johnny Winter set.

Any of you bird players have an opinion and or switched

pickups in your bird?

Mojotone is not cheap and I want to be sure it is worth it.

I like the original pickups on my Firebird V.......[thumbup]

On my 'other' Firebird I have a Seymour Duncan SM-2 which I like a lot.....it has coil-tap too.....[thumbup]

So I would recommend looking at what SD has to offer : he has done a lot of development work in this area....

V

:-({|=

I am no sure if Gibson changed their pick up model from your 2008 to 2017. I personally really love the way mine sound. It is not the highest output pick up guitar I own but they really sound great. There is a youtube video of s guy comparing the Johnny Winter set compared to his stock Firebird pick ups after the swap. Personally I think the stock ones sounded better as I play a little more rock oriented sound than blues. You may prefer the mellower tone. Only you can make that decision. Here is the link to the MOJO Winter ones compared to the stock pick ups. Just do what you think you will be happy with as no one knows how you want to sound except you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hURLVYQVCik

I put some vintage voiced Firebird pickups in mine from The Creamery. Hand wound. Jamie will tweak them to however you like. You can pick the Alnico's to be used, potted or not ... excellent quality. And you don't have to break the bank to buy them either. I cant recommend them enough.

Archived