Gibson Brands Forums

Back of my Neck gets sticky,, Help please

RolandJ

I have a 2007 GOW Les Paul antique classic , Mahaogany in gloss cherry finish ( week 27) .I love it completely with the exception of when I play it at practice/ gigs the back of the neck gets sticky and thus slow to play, my bass player gave me his fast fret at a gig and this helped the strings but I still have to wipe the back of the neck after every couple of songs, this problem gets worse in the summer months which I know happens w/increase of humidity and sweating, my question is ,, does anyone know of a product or treatment that won't harm the finish,, besides going the Zack route (sanding the finish off the back of the neck,,, not gonna happen ) that will reduce this problem,?? thanks for any / all of your help ,,, Ron

You probably get to your gig, set up your gear then start playing; problem is, after handling all that gear while loading in and setting up, your hands get all dirty. So, if you don't already, wash your hands after your set up and before you play. Sweat itself isn't much of a problem on the neck but, when combined with dirt and oils, it makes a gooey mess.

Common problem. Sometimes its dirt. Sometimes its partially cured lacquer. Sometimes it's your diet and lifestyle (no kidding, some people have more corrosive sweat). Do a search on "sticky neck" and you'll have more advice and suggestions than you bargained for. It's kind of been discussed to death here.

The best way I know to fix a sticky neck is to rub it down with steel wool. I know its a hard thing to do to the finish on your guitar, but if you play it at practice & gigs the guitar is going to show wear in time. And after you play it for 2-3 years your hand is going to wear the finish off the neck. So why not just do yourself a favor and make it easy from the start. OR, you could do the Tony Iommi trick.

Anyway, I bought a new R9 LP. I did not buy it as a collectable show piece, I planned on playing it. So the 1st thing I did was steel wool the neck to a smooth satin. I'm just saying if I can do it to a $4000 guitar, it must be pretty important to me to get rid of the sticky neck.

Thank you to all who had helpful tips/ideas' date=',, and to the few who were bored and seemingly bothered by my post,I am sorry to offend you w/my novice question,,,,I am humbled by your infinite wisdom,, again thank you[/quote']

I tink he tought I was kidding .... lolz ..........

Thank you to all who had helpful tips/ideas' date=',, and to the few who were bored and seemingly bothered by my post,I am sorry to offend you w/my novice question,,,,I am humbled by your infinite wisdom,, again thank you[/quote']

Axe really ain't kidding lol, lighter fluid can actually help a lot with the whole sticky neck thing.

I own five guitars in total--bought 4 of them brand new--and out of all of them, the new LP seems to have this problem more prominently than any other I've owned. Must just be a difference in the finish?

My buddy mentioned to me about the sandpaper/steelwool thing, but that just seems cruel. I guess I did buy the guitar to play, not to collect...

I tink he tought I was kidding .... lolz ..........

Everyone around here seems to misunderstand you. I guess they think you're like Jimi Hendrix and a Hollywood stuntman rolled in to one. They don't just imagine you lighting guitars on fire, they imagine you playing it while it's still burning. Great Balls of Fire!

Archived