Gibson Brands Forums

My first Martin!

Dub-T-123

Just picked this up off Craigslist last night. I wouldn’t be surprised if the seller is a member here because he was a pretty hardcore Gibson fan and he was showing me his R9s and telling me about his 1928 L5 etc

Anyway I got this pretty cheap, under $1K. It is by all means a players Guitar and not collector grade but it has absolutely beautiful action all the way up the neck, beautiful intonation, and sounds... BEAUTIFUL

The main reason I got it cheap is that it has 2 cracks near the outer edge of the “hips”. I really believe that these cracks do not pose a problem to the playability of the guitar and suspect that they have been glued already. The back of the headstock has an old drivers license number scratched into it

The seller said this was made in 1951 though I haven’t looked up the serial number or anything like that

What I know for sure is that it is a 00-18G and I love it. Super thin spruce top, mahogany back, sides, and neck, and a Brazilian rosewood fretboard (2” wide at the nut, 2 1/2” at the 19th fret, no radius)

xbsySbE.jpg

BRYRfKB.jpg

c5YNZSw.jpg

...I never knew Martin's used to have the logo on the back of the headstock. Was that just with this model or was it common back then?...

I'd never seen that before either.

At a guess it might be to be in keeping with the typically unadorned nature of the peg-heads of Classical / Spanish gut-strung / nylon-strung instruments?......eusa_think.gif......

Pip.

uh...scuse me...

Back of headstock pre-dates 1935. Earliest Martins were made in NYC I believe, back of the stock logo changed somewhere in the early 30's when they moved to PA. I think I have that right.

There isn't really anything like a Martin, and one that's been played that long is even warmer. Very nice 00, I wish you long life and good health playing that thing!

rct

uh...scuse me...

Back of headstock pre-dates 1935. Earliest Martins were made in NYC I believe, back of the stock logo changed somewhere in the early 30's when they moved to PA. I think I have that right.

There isn't really anything like a Martin, and one that's been played that long is even warmer. Very nice 00, I wish you long life and good health playing that thing!

rct

Thanks guys!!

I just briefly looked into this to answer Krock and Pippy and I think you are correct although apparently they continued to produce classical guitars with the logo on the back while the steel string models had the logo moved to the front

Martin seems to have a reliable serial number system. I checked mine and it should be 1951

Thanks guys!!

I just briefly looked into this to answer Krock and Pippy and I think you are correct although apparently they continued to produce classical guitars with the logo on the back while the steel string models had the logo moved to the front

Martin seems to have a reliable serial number system. I checked mine and it should be 1951

Yes, if they say 51 it's a 51. One guitar company has managed to maintain a sequential number line!

rct

Yes, if they say 51 it's a 51. One guitar company has managed to maintain a sequential number line!

rct

Kindof interesting to think this was built a year before anyone saw a Gibson Les Paul, and a year before my father was born

All in all I’m just stoked to have a 00 regardless of the age. This is really a great instrument to play

What a stunning find! I'd love to hear it. Congrats [thumbup]

Thanks everybody!

ME I will be working on recording a clip for you this weekend. I am very new to recording and haven’t done an acoustic guitar yet. Also not a great acoustic player since I have only played electric for 99.9999999% of the time until now

If you want I can email you a quick iPhone mic “voice memo” recording in the meantime

Hey Merciful Evans and everyone else, I recorded you a quick little clip. I had the air conditioner on so that kinda added a lot of noise sorry. Like I said I have never really played much acoustic at all so I still need a lot of improvement, but here is a quick idea of what it sounds like, with my flubs and all

Archived