Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar case humidifier.

LarryUK

Does anyone use one? I’m in the UK and we have quite a stable atmosphere here. But I got my 93 LP Studio Lite out at the weekend after not using it for around a year and I had sharp fret ends. Which I hadn’t got before. Shrinkage? So. I looked at a humidifier. But it just looked like a sponge in a tub with a hole drilled in. So, what do you do or use?

I use them on four of my high dollar guitars, but for the rest of them, I don’t.

If you use your guitar or guitars on a regular basis, I would not worry about it.

The guitars I use them on are Very seldom played or taken out of the safe.

Cost wise I don’t think they are too bad, especially if your guitar is worth some big bucks.

Dreaded fret sprout..

The wood has shrunk a bit, and the frets, which will not swell or shrink like wood will, pop out of the ends of the fret board.

you can get a soap travel case, drill some holes in it, maybe 1/8" (US, not sure what metric is for this).. like a bunch, 3 rows of 6 on the top, and also drill holes in each side, (not the bottom).

get a new kitchen sponge, cut it to size and wet it, wring it out, keep it in the soap case, and keep it damp...

keep the guitar in the case as much as possible.

So. I looked at a humidifier. But it just looked like a sponge in a tub with a hole drilled in. So, what do you do or use?

A tub with a hole drilled in it. No, actually I use a baggie with a bunch of small holes punched in it. Then put a damp sponge in it. I cut the sponge in half and put in both halves. I put it up under the headstock. Some say you can put it in the compartment and it still humidifies inside the case. I've found that small $5 'incubator' hygrometers are just as good as the more expensive ones. It gets real dry here in the Wild West.

It's more expense and hassle, but it's better to just humidify the room, if it's not a huge space. Buy a humidor hygrometer to keep track. There's a million room humidifiers out there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Analog-Hygrometer-by-Western-Humidor-/263354813689?hash=item3d512b8cf9

Exactly, this is what I do too.

I have 16 guitars , they all live in the open

and are ready to be played any time and they love it.

No case queens for me.

take the case out of the closet,

set it down,

undo four or five latches

open the case..

remove guitar..

shred,,, for hours or what ever.

put back, return to closet

wtf is so difficult about this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived