Gibson Brands Forums

Thoughts about 1943 L-00?

Lefty

Hey, I'm new to the forum. Looks like a great place to drop in. I've been on the lookout for a late 40's - early 50's J-45. I got the bug recently when I heard a guy (singer/songwriter) playing some originals in a small club with one and he sounded sooooo pure. I currently have two Gibsons that I'm addicted to for life. This morning I came across a link to this 1943 L-00 while surfing the net:

http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/31367/31367.php

Seems like there are a few folks on here who may be familiar with these older guitars. Anyone have ideas about what it would sound like and if the asking price is reasonable? Is the black finish possibly original.

I also found a brand new J-45 True Vintage in a small shop near where I live that they will let go for just under $2k. It sounded and played excellent. Almost pulled the trigger figuring it could be tough to find a cool old one and the TV would be a great J-45 that would probably just get better over time......

Thoughts? Anywhere else I should be looking? Thanks.

I'd say the price is in the ballpark-- I've never seen a banner L-00 before. The LG2 sort of assumed the small guitar slot in the Gibson lineup during the war years.

However, these aren't J45s- and sound nothing like them. I have two L-00s- one from the early/mid thirties, and a recent custom shop version.

If you really want a small vintage guitar that's closer to a J45, I'd recommend a banner LG2. Generally, they're a bit mellower than the L-00. (Should be plenty of them around. I know a fellah who had several excellent versions for sale, for less than 4k.)

He actually has a '46 J45 that he'll be parting with (he tells me)- but I'm calling dibs on it. =D>

He has a lot of connections back in Vintage Gibson Land (Southeast U.S.) and usually comes back from visits with some treasure that he's found. The heck of it is, he's really not a guitar player.

I think a couple Wayne Henderson guitars have passed through his hands (they're buds), tho he still has several. I expect to see him today at a music festival- If I do, I'll ask about his current 'inventory'.

This one has now been sold ...

I went to Gryphon for a workshop this morning and saw it in the case on the way in. Two hours later' date=' when I had finished and came out to give it a try, it had been sold. This tells you something about the current market: the [i']good[/i] stuff sells fast when priced about the same as it would have been "pre-crisis".

-- Bob R

Archived