Gibson Brands Forums

NGD! J45 but I have some concerns..............

jjrpilot

Hi All,

My brand new 2017 Gibson J45 Standard came the other day. It sounds like the classic Gibson...really deep with lots of thump.

I do have a question though. You can see in one pic where there is defined line in the top of the guitar circled in pink. I took pics from the inside and there isn't a crack, and I looked at the top really closely and there isn't a crack...so I'm curious as to why there is a "ridge" ????

In some light you can't see it at all, in other angles you can clearly see AND FEEL it.

What do you all think? Was the top slightly bent there? Or is it a finish issue?

Z75rQyjh.jpg

DGLpIXCh.jpg

Just looks like the edge of a three piece top, maybe not so perfectly blended in. Hope it's nothing, but watch it for finish checking, which would be a sign that something's moving.

I might be looking at the wrong area, though.

Is it part of the grain? Spruce has dark and light lines and the dark are more solid. When the nitrocellulose is absorbed, more soaks int the light lines. Can cause a ripple effect mostly seen just in a reflection of light.

Can't really tell. The grain looks super even, but when I run my hands over that area, you can definitely feel a "ridge" per se....it's so weird. Freaked me out at first thinking there might be a crack. that "ridge" dips into the wood just like it looks.......EVER sooooooooooooooooo slightly.

Just looks like the edge of a three piece top, maybe not so perfectly blended in. Hope it's nothing, but watch it for finish checking, which would be a sign that something's moving.

I didn't know they made 3 piece tops....

... The grain looks super even, but when I run my hands over that area, you can definitely feel a "ridge" per se.... ...that "ridge" dips into the wood just like it looks.......EVER sooooooooooooooooo slightly.

I'm not sure what to make of it. But your description and the photo showing the unusually odd split reflection of a window across the "ridge", which is continued on the other side of the bridge, is concerning to me - strange. If I saw that in a store I would probably pass on it. Seems like you might have bought it online ... if I discovered this after having purchased it I would probably discuss it with the seller and/or have it evaluated to be sure I wasn't getting saddled with a potential problem.

Finish crack ? Been to the factory a number of times, never saw a 3 piece top, so that’s not likely. My 2009 J45 has a small finish crack in the back. That one, being on the “driver’s side” would concern me, being it’s brand new.

There shouldn't be a seam there, it doesn't look like a run in the finish (though I suppose it could be).

It looks almost like bulging from a loose brace under string tension, but the fact that the line is so straight is strange. Assuming you bought it new or otherwise have a return period, I'd get it swapped out. Could be shipping damage.

I’m normally pretty soft on issues like this, but based on the reflection of the windows, there is a significant ridge, or change in elevation from one side to the other. Maybe a crack that was poorly repaired before the finish was applied, and then painted over at the factory???? I honestly think I’d return this one.

Rb

Couldn't that just be runout?

Runout can be seen in certain light but dissapears or appears on the opposite side in a different light.

I have recently seen runout on a 20,000 Martin D 28 Brazilian.

Certainly possible, but if this is a "hill" in the top so to speak, I doubt it's runout.

I’d get it looked at by a luthier before sending it back. If the guitar sounds and plays great and it’s just a cosmetic issue, I’d keep it. After all, after a couple of gigs/jams/whatever you use your instruments for, it’ll have other cosmetic issues from use, and things like this give a keeper guitar character.

If it’s structural in any way, of course I’d send it back for replacement.

UPDATE: I contacted the music store that I bought it from and he said that he would send out another! I'm really impressed with this store's customer service!

WHEW! Ya it just doesn't look OR feel right. I'll be shipping this one back and will wait for the other J45 to come in. It'll be worth the wait to have one without possible structural issues for sure.

I didn't know they made 3 piece tops....

They don't.

This runs along the line of the bass side of the bridge. There is some pressure on the top and it isn't good. Might be a loose brace or a humidity issue with the top but it isn't normal. Have an authorized Gibson repair shop look at it. These issues can't be diagnosed by a photo. They need to be inspected by someone that knows what to look for. Call Gibson Customer Service for the nearest authorized service center. I would relax the strings a bit and get it inspected as soon as possible. This is not runout.

Archived