Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Tweed GA-5T ampssss

dkevin

Ran across a tweed early 60's Gibson GA-5T in pretty sorry shape...but the price was right and I was curious so I pulled the trigger. About a week after I received the amp, I saw another tweed 5T in a makeshift cabinet but the face of the chassis was pristine (especially compared to the 1st one!). I managed to pick that one up too. I am not too proud to admit I have a tube amp problem...a Gibson tube amp problem! I should be able to restore one amp completely and possible make a head version of the rusted one. All the transformers check out and I have most of the components on hand, so here goes. This amp uses a 12AX7 preamp tube and a 6BM8 (ECL82) output tube with a 5Y3 rectifier. I am posting some pictures of the amps as received in hopes that the information proves useful to someone else. >https://imgur.com/ATCHjNd

Just a follow-up post about these amps. I found, on the internet, a connection between the Gibson-Maestro GA-1RT amp and the Gibson GA-5T . I guess they were both made about the same time. The 1RT is almost identical to the 5T in all ways except the 1RT is housed in a larger cabinet to accomodate the reverb tank. The reverb tank is not utilized for the amp it is combined with. Instead, it is physically connected using zip cord and alligator clips) directly to the speaker output of a second guitar amp. The dry signal is then sent through the reverb tank and amplified by the 1RT's circuit. It can be used to add reverb to a non-reverb amp or the amp can be used as a GA-5T clone...a small tube amp with tremolo. Confused? The 5T should have probably been given another different model number because, other than the appearance (cabinet and chassis), it uses a different output tube than the GA-5 tweed Skylark. Take a look at the -1RT and -5T schematics and perhaps you'll agree. These two look like kissing cousins.

Archived