Gibson Brands Forums

Kossoff's Burst Dissected and Analysed

IanHenry

Thanks very much for posting that, Ian.

I have been given quite an informed article about that particular guitar which is fasciniating but that had quite a lot more info which was new to me.

I found the comments regarding neck profile to be slightly surprising......but that's another story.

Pip.

...Not sure if he has more solo stuff...

There's "Kossoff Kirke Tetsu Rabbit" which was recorded after Free split in '72. In truth I haven't actually heard it since I 'loaned' my vinyl copy to someone back in the '80s but from what I remember it's pretty good.

There are also tracks recorded when he played with Black Cat Bones in his pre-Free days and many of these are on youtube.

He also guested in the studio with the band Amazing Blondel on their 'Mulgrave Street' album in 1974.

I have a double album released just after he died simply called 'Koss' which is a bit like The Curate's Egg; 'Parts of it were good...'.

A selection of already known studio tracks were packaged along with 11 tracks which were (at the time) previously unreleased.

Pip.

EDIT : Wiki tells me that he and (Free drummer ) Simon Kirke were also on Champion Jack Dupree's "When You Feel the Feeling You Was Feeling". Please note that the BCB studio album was recorded after he left.

Nice article, Ian. :) It's difficult to pin down Koss' guitars definitively, since he had a lot, and swapping with other musos was de rigor. However, I believe this was the one used on the promo videos for All Right Now and The Stealer, filmed in October 1970. Koss certainly had three LPs at one stage - he was seen by a friend carrying three Gibson cases, and called out "Get yourself a Standard, mate!" These were probably this guitar, the dark sunburst he got from Clapton (used on the Granada TV gig "Doing Their Thing"), and his stripped front "blonde", as seen in IOW 1970.

Archived