Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone have fingers that just don't work sometimes?

Gilliangirl

My ring finger is double jointed----and yes' date=' before I learned to adjust for it, I had the same problems that you describe. It would just get stuck. So, I've learned to place my thumb more centrally on the neck, in most positions that have the potential for trouble. Where that is not possible, I've learned inversions of the troublesome chord/position. You can usually always find a way to compensate for your own mechanical limitations or structural deficiencies. Don't get discouraged.[/quote']

Yup, that's it exactly.... it gets stuck in a position. I guess I'll just have to learn to work around the darn thing.

Arm pit farts are universal GG. It's a guy thing. However' date=' I never could seem to get the hang of it, so I just stuck to the natural ones. ;)

It's probably just a transient thing, but it could be a sign of aging. I am currently sitting with an aching ankle. Feels like I sprained it, but I'll be jiggered where or when or how it happened. It just started to ache one morning, got better on the second day, then got worse the third day as I was on it most of the day. Now getting better. Might be the weather, though, We had a major storm front blow through here via an Alberta Clipper (thanks GG), leaving about 3" of new snow.

I was also reminded, not a week ago that I am not 40-ish... I'm 50-ish (49 next week).. >sigh<:^o [/quote']

I've never been able to do the arm pit thing either (yes, I tried LOL) And I wonder where Shauna is nowadays. She and I used to freak people out with the double-jointed fingers. Funny thing is, she used to play guitar, too! I wonder if it's causing her problems now? I wonder if she's thinking about grade five? LOL

Sorry about the storm, but be glad it's only 3" (not sure what that is in centimetres?). We'd be more likely to get 30"

GG' date=' no I don't do hand excercises, the arthritis in the hands seems to be cyclical and comes and goes. I exercise daily for my shoulder and hip joints to strengthen the muscles around them. I don't think there are really any exercises for the hands and fingers you just have to put up with that. Buy the way, GG its good to have you back!......Mike[/quote']

Thanks Michael. :-)

Mine work fine, but the left middle is crooked as heck. Palm down, it bends to the left, towards the pinky. People have told me that it must have been broken, but you'd think I would have remembered that. ?????

Actually, the index does too.

Man, that's weird.

Thanks Gilliangirl!

Murph.

Just on that point about playing different guitars to give you strength or whatever.

For most of my playing time I have generally played Les Pauls, but over the last few years, I've started played archtops and acoustics because my musical tastes have changed. Initially I didn't think at all about neck scale or width and bought a couple of guitars with necks that have a 25.5" and 25" scale. Les Pauls are 24.75" and I think are 1 11/16th" wide. I also noticed that some guitare have wider necks say 1.75" wide.

These variations may not sound like much but I found that changing between guitars that had a completely different feel meant that I tended to fumble around a bit. Sure if you play them for a while you can adjust and I can adjust to 25.5" necks but I don't particularly like the wider necks of 1.75". Fat necks such as you find on earlier Les Pauls ('57's) I actually like because they give you someting to hang on to.

For me now, I'm mostly using guitars with necks similar to the scale/width of Les Pauls just because I feel at home on them and also because I don't have very big hands and find the bigger scales/widths harder to do the stretches that I find easier on the smaller necks.

I do admit that the wider necks are great for finger picking styles.

Just some thoughts!!!

However I do agree that regularly switching between acoustics and electrics is really beneficial as the acoustics make you work harder and build up your strength. I also enjoy the tonal variations on the acoustics.

Archived