Gibson Brands Forums

who hardtails floating bridges?

merciful-evans

Ok not too many Gibsons with trems, but there are some. Other guitars have many systems of course.

How many here block off their trem systems?

Do you half block to disable one way, such as the FU-tone device does?

Do you block fully? Disabling forward & back movement by using 2 blocks in the trem cavity?

What materials do you use? Hard or soft woods? Aluminium? Or a sandwich of miscellaneous shims such as old creditcards? Or do you use some purpose made commercial product?

I have hardtailed all my floating trem bridges by fully stabilising them.

On Strat style bridges I don't really block mine as much as I deck mine.......kinda like Eric Johnson does.

extra springs and tighten the screws up pretty snug..

On floyd or kahler style, I leave them fully floating, but don't have many of those left in the stable.

NHTom

My HK Steinberger copy has a floating trem system as do the Steinberger GL originals.

I hate it so much that it is now fully locked which is easy to do with the design.

HK guitars have a bad press but I really like mine. The fingerboard (rosewood) is good, pickups are surprisingly good (at least in my guitar), the action is superb and I have 24 frets. Tuning is rock solid stable with the tram locked.

On Strat style bridges I don't really block mine as much as I deck mine...extra springs and tighten the screws up pretty snug...

That's how I have my current Strat, I don't play anything which requires pitch wobble.

On my old one, though, I set-up the trem. really really well. There was absolutely no pitch change from use throughout an entire evening's playtime. I've no idea how I managed it except it was simply by following an article published in a monthly guitar publication - probably International Musician. When I originally bought the (by-then already 16 year old) guitar the trem. was all over the place stability-wise and it stayed like that for a couple of years; I thought that's just how they were meant to be! After I had the guitar refinished I had to reassemble and set it up myself and, fortuitously, there was the Strat-trem-set-up feature in that very month's issue.

Pip.

Pepper jack. I like Pepper jack cheese. melted over nachos with jalapeno's.

in '74 I hammered a brass block in to block bridge on my Strat. it's still there.

Brass! I bet it sounds great.

I have a rind of Quattrocento cheese in my fridge. I'm certain its hard enough to block a trem, but not sure about its sound.

When I first got my strat close to 20 years ago I wedged a wood block in to disable it. I removed it about 5 years ago and enjoy using the wammy once in a while to get some cool My Bloody Valentine sounds. [thumbup]

I have two Gibsons with Floyd Rose trems and two with Kahlers. I don't block any of them, I just down tune them and use them for metal. My Flying V with the Kahler can be locked by tightening a screw in the back of it so no need to block it if I want to restring it/change tunings.

I deck em, so they don't float, but I don't disable them. I also like bigsby's!!!

Locking trems? NO! Those are SOOOOOOOOOOOO 80s...

the couple of Strats I've had since my '72, I just deck 'em as well. either screw the spring claww all the way in & or add springs so the bridge is resting on the body.

In the late 80's within a 2 month periond I bought a digital processor & a guitar with a Floyd Rose bridge because thats all I saw in the magazines "everyone was using them" so I thought I had to as well. quickly discovered they weren't for me. not knockin' 'em. they're just not for me.

the couple of Strats I've had since my '72, I just deck 'em as well. either screw the spring claww all the way in & or add springs so the bridge is resting on the body.

In the late 80's within a 2 month periond I bought a digital processor & a guitar with a Floyd Rose bridge because thats all I saw in the magazines "everyone was using them" so I thought I had to as well. quickly discovered they weren't for me. not knockin' 'em. they're just not for me.

back in the hay days for me when I was gigging constantly, (earl 80s/mid 90s) you almost had to have a guitar with a locking trem. The days of the Dive Bombers. I destroyed what would have been a cash daddy Ibanez MC400 by having a Kahler installed (routing required), these in mint condition are fetching almost 3x what they sold for new back in the late 70s early 80s.

I've just been totally fine using the stock strat trem systems. some lube in the right places, and tuning stays pretty "okay" when using.

On Strat style bridges I don't really block mine as much as I deck mine.......kinda like Eric Johnson does.

extra springs and tighten the screws up pretty snug..

NHTom

YES YES Yes....that's the way to do it!!

....Floyd Rose bridge.....quickly discovered they weren't for me. not knockin' 'em. they're just not for me.

And YES again.

Bridge on my 80s MIJ 'Contemporary' Strat System III can be locked in place by a cam on the trem bar shaft. Rotate bar away from strings, bridge locks. Lucky, as the trem doesn't stay in tune well anyway.

Leerdammer.

the tremol-no is the best thing going. it's cheap, easy to install, works perfectly. if you sell the guitar you can remove it with no evidence it was ever there. since the first one i bought years ago, i am sold. any guitar i buy with a trem will have one. i no longer have to avoid trem bridges if i like the guitar.

How about a nice smoked Gouda. The way I see it, is why buy a Strat to not take advantage of the trem. Its like people who buy trucks, but don't haul anything.

I bought my strat at 14 because the goldtop next to it was more than 2x the $. At same time had read Clapton blocked his. I read an interview with Johnny Winter. He said he's never used one. The impressionable kid I was I never used one either. Never have. But I love what Gilmour n Beck do with one.

My only guitar with tremolo is a Dixon Flying V with a Kahler locking and I very seldom use it or even play that guitar any more. The rest that I have is all hardtail except the Squier Strat I bought for my son. It is decked but can be used if need be. It's a complicated and numerous answer question for me, so once again, cheese takes the priority and the vote.

You can't play For Your Life unless you have a trem. Well you can. Just not correctly.

Men just grab the top horn and wiggle the neck.*

rct

*Underhand slowpitch Softball. Accepted replies:

That's what she said.

I love it when you talk like that.

When I do that I get in trouble.

You had me at "horn".

You can't play For Your Life unless you have a trem. Well you can. Just not correctly.

I'm trying to work out which trem. system Zappa has fitted to his LPC in your avatar picture but it seems to be just a wee bit too small to identify positively.

msp_smile.gif

Pip.

Archived