Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Help?

S30L28

Hey there,

I've been a Fender guy for quite sometime now. Last week, one of my friends brought a Gibson Les Paul Standard to one of our jam sessions.

To make a long story short, I've been looking for a Gibson everyday since last week. But, I'm a college student here at Iowa and I don't have a whole lot to spend. I have a budget around 500-900 dollars.

I read a few posts here and a few horror stories about counterfeits. Oddly enough, there's a pawn shop about 5 miles from here that was selling a Les Paul gold top for 1300 that was a counterfeit.

Any suggestions about what I should get/what I should avoid? I'm kind of scared about buying one used, but I can't afford one new.

Thanks!

P.S. I don't know a whole lot about Gibson guitars, but if you guys have questions about Fender, let me know.

You could always get a Studio Les Paul. No frills but may be closer to your price range. Just make sure you get it set-up and it will play like a Standard.

+1 you'll have to buy a used one as new Studios run around' date=' well my receipt from mine is right here so I'll tell you exactly... $1,283. Used should be much less than that.

As for the setup, I feel you've done a disservice by saying "get a studio setup and it plays like a standard." My question is, what does a standard play like once you've given it a proper setup? Every guitar, regardless of price range, needs fine tuning. Personally, all I had to do to mine was lower the pups (great idea, RichCI). Action, relief, saddles, nut... all that stuff was perfect on mine straight out of the box.

Also, S30L28, I know the Standards have the binding that you (and everyone) loves, but look at this and tell me it's not drop dead gorgeous...

[img']http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb113/cranialfluids/anglyup2.jpg?t=1235263633[/img]

+1 you'll have to buy a used one as new Studios run around' date=' well my receipt from mine is right here so I'll tell you exactly... $1,283. Used should be much less than that.

As for the setup, I feel you've done a disservice by saying "get a studio setup and it plays like a standard." My question is, what does a standard play like once you've given it a proper setup? Every guitar, regardless of price range, needs fine tuning. Personally, all I had to do to mine was lower the pups (great idea, RichCI). Action, relief, saddles, nut... all that stuff was perfect on mine straight out of the box.

Also, S30L28, I know the Standards have the binding that you (and everyone) loves, but look at this and tell me it's not drop dead gorgeous...

[img']http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb113/cranialfluids/anglyup2.jpg?t=1235263633[/img]

Get some gold top-hat knobs on that, take the pickguard off and its as sweet as you could ever want.

Vagabond,

Your studio is very gorgeous indeed. Though, I don't really like gold hardware on my guitars. It's just my personal preference. Though, I can see very good wood grain on the maple top, which is a definite plus.

I guess there seems to be a bit of a disagreement with how the studio and the standard compare.

I can't make up my mind, either to wait a while longer to get a standard, or jump in and get a studio now.

By the way, I called the local police today and told them about the counterfeit LS at the pawn shop the other day. I feel kind of bad, but then again, I'd hate for someone to spend their savings to buy an axe only to find that it's worth absolutely nothing.

Archived