Gibson Brands Forums

Keef Lets Rip

Rabs

So basically, he doesn't like music very much, or is just so old he cant help it :)

http://www.nme.com/photos/the-razor-tongue-of-keith-richards-17-artists-he-s-slammed-from-david-bowie-to-oasis-1406001

The Razor Tongue Of Keith Richards – 15 Artists He’s Slammed, From David Bowie To Oasis

Keith Richards has spent a significant amount of his recent promotional schedule discussing his ire for some other pretty massive artists, from “hollow” Led Zeppelin to The Beatles as a live band (“never quite there”). It’s not the first time he’s trash-talked others though…

David Bowie: “It’s all pose. It’s all fu**ing posing. It’s nothing to do with music. He knows it too.”

Prince: “An overrated midget… Prince has to find out what it means to be a prince. That’s the trouble with conferring a title on yourself before you’ve proved it. His attitude when he opened for us… was insulting to our audience. You don’t try to knock off the headline like that when you’re playing a Stones crowd. He’s a prince who thinks he’s a king already. Good luck to him.”

Elton John: “An old *****… his writing is limited to songs about dead blondes.” Elton’s response: “It would be awful to be like Keith Richards. He’s pathetic. It’s like a monkey with arthritis, trying to go on stage and look young. I have great respect for the Stones but they would have been better if they had thrown Keith out 15 years ago.”

Bob Dylan: “Bob’s a nasty little bugger. I remember him saying to me, ‘I could have written “Satisfaction”, but you couldn’t have written “Desolation Row”‘. I said, ‘well, you’re right there, Bob.’”

Sex Pistols: “There’s more to it than saying ‘sh*t’ on TV or learning to spit by practicing in the mirror.” Sid Vicious’ response: “I wouldn’t piss on Keith Richards if he was on fire.”

Oasis: “These guys are just obnoxious. Grow up and then come back and see if you can hang.”

Justin Bieber: “He’s a wannabe. His music? I mean it’s a load of crap isn’t it?”

Rap music in general: “Rap: so many words, so little said. What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there. All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it, and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.”

Guns N’ Roses: “I admire their guts. But too much posing. Their look; it’s like there’s one out of this band, one looks like Jimmy, one looks like Ronnie. Too much copycat, too much posing for me.”

Grateful Dead: “The Grateful Dead is where everybody got it wrong. Just poodling about for hours and hours. Jerry Garcia, boring sh*t, man. Sorry, Jerry.”

Metallica and Black Sabbath: “Millions are in love with Metallica and Black Sabbath. I just thought they were great jokes… I don’t know where Metallica’s inspiration comes from, but if it’s from me, then I fu**ed up”

Creedence Clearwater Revival: “When I first heard them, I was really knocked out, but I became bored with them very quickly. After a few times, it started to annoy me. They’re so basic and simple that maybe it’s a little too much.”

Led Zeppelin: “Jimmy [Page] is a brilliant player. But I always felt there was something a little hollow about it, you know?”

The Bee Gees: “Well, they’re in their own little fantasy world. You only have to read what they talk about in interviews… how many suits they’ve got and that kind of crap. It’s all kid stuff, isn’t it?”

P Diddy: “Bereft of imagination. What a piece of crap.”

Love the old coot. Sounds like he's getting up some material for a rock 'n roll roast.

I also think Ozzie and Metallica are unlistenable jokes, just like Lou Reed and G&R. Don't get me started...

....Bob Dylan: "Bob's a nasty little bugger. I remember him saying to me, 'I could have written "Satisfaction", but you couldn't have written "Desolation Row"'. I said, 'well, you're right there, Bob.'"....

Hilarious!

According to the internet, the rolling stones have written 373 songs. Of those, there are only a handful that I will let play without changing the station, skipping, etc depending on how I'm listening to it. And even then it's just background noise that I'm not really listening to. So there, Keith.

According to the internet, the rolling stones have written 373 songs. Of those, there are only a handful that I will let play without changing the station, skipping, etc depending on how I'm listening to it. And even then it's just background noise that I'm not really listening to. So there, Keith.

Well this is the thing..

If hes moaning about Zeppelin being hollow presumably cos they did the ripping off old blues songs thing. Well then the Stones are the original hollow band..... At least Zeppelin did something a bit different with it.

The Stones built a reputation on being obnoxious in the early 1960s.

Did the Stones ever pose....? [lol] Watch the Beacon Theatre concert. Look at 50 yrs of publicity photos.

TBH, Keef is NOT a nice man. Read "Life", his autobiography, if you think different.

I was ok with most of it until he started ripping into Anita Pallenberg. Nasty stuff.

Well this is the thing..

If hes moaning about Zeppelin being hollow presumably cos they did the ripping off old blues songs thing. Well then the Stones are the original hollow band..... At least Zeppelin did something a bit different with it.

I wasn't really sure what he meant by the "hollow" comment, I thought maybe he meant the music was shallow, lacking substance or something, but you could be right. Either way, I'm not a stones fan and I really do enjoy Zeppelin...

I don't "claim", I just don't like them. Never did, I've only ever listened to the songs I've had to play in bands.

I'm sure I love some band or music that you loathe, but it has nothing to do with your "judgement".

rct

I was trying to be funny, but judgement was a dumb choice of words. Taste is very individual, of course. Maybe it's partly generational, as I don't know how old you are, but I guess it's just odd to me to find someone in the R&R generation who doesn't like their take on the blues/rock music form.

We certainly couldn't date.

I was trying to be funny, but judgement was a dumb choice of words. Taste is very individual, of course. Maybe it's partly generational, as I don't know how old you are, but I guess it's just odd to me to find someone in the R&R generation who doesn't like their take on the blues/rock music form.

We certainly couldn't date.

I'm 58, playing since 1971, in bands since 1975. We could date just fine, my Mrs of 38 years and I have quite different tastes in music and we've been together since 1977.

rct

I don't listen to loads of music and bands that people rave about just make me wonder what's up. Pink Floyd? Middle class waffle. Stones. Money making gargantuan truck. Bieber. A sign you've got old. Kanye West. Load of b**locks. Rap in general. Music by people with no talent and use bad language to achieve fame. Punk in general. Rubbish. Te lst goes on. My point here. We don't all like everything. That's the great thing about music. Something for everyone.

The only Stones stuff I have is on vinyl... can't remember the last time I listened to them on purpose. But they and a gazillion other bands, some of whom Keith can't say nice things about, were a significant part of who I was back in the '60s and '70s. Maybe Keef won't be so lucky when he falls out of another tree.

I enjoyed it. It was quite funny. He's just being OTT. Its also possible he has a short attention span.

Weird thing is that what he said about Creedence could be mirrored back to the Stones.

I sort of agreed with much of it. Except of course what he said about the Dead (yeah... definitely short attention span there Keef) :rolleyes:

Archived