Gibson Brands Forums

Any former Gibson staff from the mid to late 80s here?

iamval

I have a passion for mid to late 80s Gibson's, which I collect. Was hoping I'd find some former staff here and maybe ask them a few questions about some of my guitars. Things like, what woods were used in their construction etc, what inspired them to use Ferrari red in some of the paint jobs, any inside info about the rare Showcase Edition models (or even catalog pics etc)

I was going to suggest that you contact Heritage Guitars in Kalamazoo, MI: Many of the craftsmen there worked there when Gibson was still in K-Zoo, but since they recently dismissed 10 of them with another four quitting in support of the 10, that resource may too be gone. Those poor fellows are being replaced with CNC and Plek machines. Damn shame.

I was going to suggest that you contact Heritage Guitars in Kalamazoo, MI: Many of the craftsmen there worked there when Gibson was still in K-Zoo, but since they recently dismissed 10 of them with another four quitting in support of the 10, that resource may too be gone. Those poor fellows are being replaced with CNC and Plek machines. Damn shame.

Thanks Vince, I'll give 'em a try

I have a passion for mid to late 80s Gibson's,

Here is an image of my ES Artist for you. Made in the 80's and one of the nicest guitars ever made by Gibson. A beautiful ebony fingerboard with offset mother of pearl dot markers along with the nicest tuners ever. Each tuner folds out and is a winder.

HSqAiL6.jpg

Archived