Gibson Brands Forums

Does Tone-Rite really work?

NJ Tom

Never bought a Tonerite. Somebody on AGF offered to loan me one and shipped it to me. I had a recent luthier built guitar that I could only describe as very drum like tight thumpy toned. In two weeks the Tonerite turned it into an altogether different guitar. My other two at the time, an Ovation and Albarez, saw no change. The luthier guitar became my favorite. I told the builder of it and he bought a Tonerite to use a few weeks before selling a new guitar. He was so impressed he offered me another guitar at just his material cost as a thank you. So I’m one for three as far as any noticeable change, but on that one it was phenomenal.

I lit a green latern for this post, just saying.

Hi - how very intriguing to hear from you.

We've been discussing this device now and again here over the years and every time the tree seems to fall in both directions.

This, that, how, why, because, aha and so forth. A number of tests on the Tube are positive, yes, , , but could the testers be bought, that kind of speculations, u know.

Haven't tried the T-Rite, but was curious from the start.

Why shouldn't it work - it is after all about vibrations and we all know how guitars/instruments can fall asleep when not being used.

Hall's experience with the SJ 'lasting' for a couple of weeks was not less interesting. Did it just go stiffer again.

Will definitely keep an eye on the topic, but fiddle enough to make my acoustics stay awake, , , eehh, sometimes by playing myself to sleep.

Keep vibrating

E-minor7

Hi there @E-minor7

Thank you for sharing your concerns and bringing back the spark to this.

I completely agree with you - our products have been in the eye of the storm almost since the beginning and, honestly, I would partly put the blame on us - and I'll explain this in a second.

Keep this in mind, with almost no exception, bad reviews come from non-users; something that has always been a bit intriguing to us. One of my all time favorite remarks was from someone stating that "it seems to simple to work, therefore it must be snake oil." hehehe. What can one say to something like that. But we are all love here so nothing negative will come out from our end and fortunately, for every bad comment we have gotten, a positive review from an actual user has come up. For that I personally appreciate everyone who has taken it upon themselves to share their results. To you, thank you for being valued members of our ToneRite family.

Here is why I said it partially was our fault:

In the beginning, we were so eager to help people see results that we went on this quest for finding the shortest amount of time a guitar could be positively affected by the ToneRite. With the guitars we had on hand, that magic number became 72 hours. Did it work? Absolutely! but the results could've been waaay better and more significant with longer treatments, and due to many construction variables, 72 hours were simply not enough to get any results at all for other guitars. In other words, we cut ourselves short and contributed to feeding the fire. However, we have matured as a brand and one of the biggest examples of that is our now minimum recommendation of 2 weeks for a treatment. There is a particular way to control this primary treatment so please feel free to reach out so I can explain this in further detail according to the specs of your particular guitar. In some cases the treatment needs to be 3 or 4 weeks long once we consider tone-wood density, bracing pattern, body shape, etc.

For example, for @Hall who posted here back in April about those two beautiful instruments, I wish I would have been here sooner. Hall if you are still around, try this instead for the SJ. Run the ToneRite at max speed on the dial for a full week. Once the week is done, play your instrument and see if you can spotted any changes like added projection and better meshed frequencies on the upper spectrum. I particularly love how a single week can eliminate harshness on the highs and leave you with a much more composed instrument that is defines but not piercing ears (this is particular the case on Maple tops when new, and also the Case for Sitka Spruce). After the playing time, set the toneRite back on the guitar and this time run it at a lower intensity, like 50 or 40% on the dial. This will induce different length vibrational frequencies into the instrument which will specifically tailor the lower-mids and lows of the instrument. This part of the treatment also focuses on the back and sides. unfocused bass can be overpowering and boomy, which translates into muddiness when playing. The ToneRite can tighten up the lows and provide the same amount of intensity but with a much more balanced relation to the upper register the instrument can produce.

You mentioned that the results can go away and this is true and not true at the same time.

TRUE: because with or without ToneRite, an instrument that has not been played for months or even years will not sound at its best. As you said, instruments go to sleep.

UNTRUE: because after a ToneRite treatment you, the user, take on the baton. your weekly playing is enough to maintain the tonal gains. If for any reason you stop playing the instrument then you simply reapply the treatment. This is why is handy to have a ToneRite around; our average user owns about 5 guitars so it is easy to fall in love with a guitar for 3 months and neglect the rest. Then we rediscover why we bought this other guitar and well, the cycle repeats. (I know because this happens to me every year hehe)

Conversely, the ToneRite has proven to be a great tool for studio work as well, as producers and sound engineers don't necessarily play their instruments all the time, but have them available for sessions since they know what to expect from those guitars. The ToneRite makes it easy to have the instruments at their optimal sonic state for every performance. Same thing happens for sessionists who need all of their instruments performing their best at all times. And to add to this, here is the debunk of one more myth about the ToneRite. There is no finite amount of hours you can run it on an instrument.

So sorry this got so lengthy!! just sharing some insights and interesting facts sometimes get overlooked.

Warm regards,

Guille

Never bought a Tonerite. Somebody on AGF offered to loan me one and shipped it to me. I had a recent luthier built guitar that I could only describe as very drum like tight thumpy toned. In two weeks the Tonerite turned it into an altogether different guitar. My other two at the time, an Ovation and Albarez, saw no change. The luthier guitar became my favorite. I told the builder of it and he bought a Tonerite to use a few weeks before selling a new guitar. He was so impressed he offered me another guitar at just his material cost as a thank you. So I’m one for three as far as any noticeable change, but on that one it was phenomenal.

Oh that's great to hear! Send me a picture and a I'll share your story on our social media. Also, it's worth noting that Ovation guitars were built to be impervious to the elements, so the ToneRite has little chance to work there. It would have to be a lengthy treatment of at least 3 weeks, and only to open the top if it is indeed solid wood (some have multilayered wood which is again very hard and engineered to be stable). If your Alvarez is solid wood all around try a 2 week treatment on it instead. It should have very noticeable results, specially on the harmonic complexity. If it only has a solid top but multi-layered back and sides, then try a 3 week treatment, but gains will be more focus around the upper register than on the bass frequencies.

Best,

Guille

I lit a green latern for this post, just saying.

To make sense and avoid confusion, this line was directed toward 2-star staff-member and modifier KSDaddy's

now deleted post about overlooking Guille-ToneRite's intro-comment for a couple of weeks then finally discovering and setting it up.

(first-contributions here must be checked by mods before release)

Hi there @E-minor7

Thank you for sharing your concerns and bringing back the spark to this.

I completely agree with you - our products have been in the eye of the storm almost since the beginning and, honestly, I would partly put the blame on us - and I'll explain this in a second.

This will induce different length vibrational frequencies into the instrument which will specifically tailor the lower-mids and lows of the instrument. This part of the treatment also focuses on the back and sides. unfocused bass can be overpowering and boomy, which translates into muddiness when playing. The ToneRite can tighten up the lows and provide the same amount of intensity but with a much more balanced relation to the upper register. . .

Thx - all worth following with highest attention. Especially the lines about the low-end caught fire.

My poor scientific insight prevents me from understanding the logic behind the Rite almost taming or editing the bass character.

Your pedagogical explanation would be welcome.

Best Thoughts

To make sense and avoid confusion, this line was directed toward 2-star staff-member and modifier KSDaddy's

now deleted post about overlooking Guille-ToneRite's intro-comment for a couple of weeks then finally discovering and setting it up.

(first-contributions here must be checked by mods before release)

Thx - all worth following with highest attention. Especially the lines about the low-end caught fire.

My poor scientific insight prevents me from understanding the logic behind the Rite almost taming or editing the bass character.

Your pedagogical explanation would be welcome.

Best Thoughts

Hi there! no worries, and I see how it can sometimes sound a bit confusing - specially when I get too passionate and write lengthy posts :)

Maybe looking at it from this angle might make more sense. Let's say we were looking at a graphic equalizer analyzing a particular guitar that has a significant spike around say, 220Hz. The ToneRite won't make that frequency disappear, but rather excite the frequencies around it, effectively smoothing out the Q around that range in the frequency spectrum. By doing so, the ToneRite is, in fact, equalizing and balancing the tone of your instrument. By using different settings on the dial, you can have the ToneRite tackle the high frequencies, the mids, or the low-end to achieve desired results.

To your point precisely, the ToneRite is not aimed to transform a J15 into a J200 or vice-versa. And truly, why would someone want that anyways?!?! each guitar has it's sonic stamp that either aligns with your taste and playing style or not. The ToneRite will allow an instrument to mature faster (sonically speaking), which in some cases can be crucial to certain guitars due to their construction and/or tonewood pairing.

I really appreciate the questions and open dialog. It's really nice to have this level of personal communication going on.

Warm regards,

Guille

P.S. To those who have bought our products, thank you for your support and for being a valued member of our ToneRite family.

I am one of that family. The ToneRite is a wonderful small machine that works fine.

As I said above I used it during the years on many guitars.

The effect on the guitar sound is exactly what the manufacturer describes.

I am based on my personal experience.

And I thank to ToneRite for that device.

Edited by MR GIBS

I am one of that family. The ToneRite is a wonderful small machine that works fine.

As I said above I used it during the years on many guitars.

The effect on the guitar sound is exactly what the manufacturer describes.

I am based on my personal experience.

And I thank to ToneRite for that device.

Hey there MR GIBS! Eternally grateful for your support through the years. Can you share with us the guitars you have treated with your ToneRite unit and the results achieved? double bonus points if you have pics ;)

But really, truly thankful for your kind words and the willingness to advocate for our products.

Warm regards,

Guille

Apologies for the newbie question, but would the below type of changes mirror the type of changes you'd expect an old / vintage (and regularly played) guitar to exhibit, or is it more a way to take the harshness out of a guitar and add balance within and across the registers? And if so, why is that a good thing? Thanks to anyone for input.

Rgds - billroy

Run the ToneRite at max speed on the dial for a full week. Once the week is done, play your instrument and see if you can spotted any changes like added projection and better meshed frequencies on the upper spectrum. I particularly love how a single week can eliminate harshness on the highs and leave you with a much more composed instrument that is defines but not piercing ears (this is particular the case on Maple tops when new, and also the Case for Sitka Spruce).

After the playing time, set the toneRite back on the guitar and this time run it at a lower intensity, like 50 or 40% on the dial. This will induce different length vibrational frequencies into the instrument which will specifically tailor the lower-mids and lows of the instrument. This part of the treatment also focuses on the back and sides. unfocused bass can be overpowering and boomy, which translates into muddiness when playing. The ToneRite can tighten up the lows and provide the same amount of intensity but with a much more balanced relation to the upper register the instrument can produce.

Can you share with us the guitars you have treated with your ToneRite unit and the results achieved? double bonus points if you have pics ;)

Here is a picture:

DSC00200_zpsf8anx2ph.jpg

These are half of my guitars. Basically they are stored in my home. I have about eight others stored in my studio.

I used the ToneRite on every one of these instruments on the picture above. And on my other guitars. And also I used it on guitars of my friends who did not know what the ToneRite is (to show them).

I used it when the instruments came in the house purchased new or used.

I tonerited every guitar for different periods of time. The longest period as |I remember was 3 months on the classical guitar.

The toneriting process "opened up" every guitar. The sound became louder, the articulation improved. The guitar started play better.

The most significant effect was obtained on my Gibson J45 Cobra burs (right end on the second row the picture above). After about ten days (and nights) continuous toneriting the guitar started to thunder like a cannon!

I am not so strong in these sound changing descriptions as I am not a native English speaking person and it is not easy for me to express me in English language. But I testify that that ToneRite thing does its job well. Very well. Because I hear the difference.

Ah yeah - and it kills the strings. As described. But when I tonerite a guitar I put an old set of strings.

That is what I have to say about. It is based on my own experience and I would not dare to try to convince you to buy a ToneRite.

May be you should try it.

msp_biggrin.gif

Honestly, I am skeptical Krasi.

However, I have heard your magnificent playing, and the tone you get. If you are a strong believer in such a product, it would be wise for me not to write it off.

I’m a trader. That is to say I have many superstitions. If I can believe in superstitions, I suppose I can take the word of Krasi.

Honestly, I am skeptical Krasi.

However, I have heard your magnificent playing, and the tone you get. If you are a strong believer in such a product, it would be wise for me not to write it off.

I’m a trader. That is to say I have many superstitions. If I can believe in superstitions, I suppose I can take the word of Krasi.

Sal. If you haven’t got your wife anything for Christmas yet I have a bag of magic beans here I could sell you cheap seeing as you’re a friend

Sal- maybe it works because Krasi is a believer. However, he is a man of science, and approaches things such as this that way. Here he has put up a video showing how his luthier finds the right places to thin the top: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hS8L7xPmtP0. Interesting similarity to the principle behind Tone-rite.

Personally don’t worry about, or care much about, whether or not my guitar sounds like a choir of angels when I’m playing.

I ran the ToneRite at mid for 72 hours on two Gibsons mentioned early on here. I was cautious about the setting and hem-hawed about the results. I'll fire it up on high and let it go for ten days and see if I notice anything more conclusive. Have to pick out a guitar I'm willing to use as a tester first. Will probably use a Quilt Bird for this time around.

Exactly.

'Appreciate the vote of confidence, Mo'Pick, but it would most likely be a tall task to be as laid-back about how the guitar-in-hand sounds as you are- I still really enjoy listening to these wooden boxes- it's just that I'm not (currently) into the super sustainy, overtone laden sound. Ask me again same time next year, who knows what the answer will be.

I ran the ToneRite at mid for 72 hours on two Gibsons mentioned early on here. I was cautious about the setting and hem-hawed about the results. I'll fire it up on high and let it go for ten days and see if I notice anything more conclusive. Have to pick out a guitar I'm willing to use as a tester first. Will probably use a Quilt Bird for this time around.

Are you running it with the guitar in the stand to let the whole guitar vibrate? Might be a good idea to have something between the nitro finish and the rubber/foam of the stand just to be safe.

The folks who make the Tone-Rite have a real challenge trying to get acceptance for their device; to have the passion and confidence to want to move forward with making it, (would the investors on the show Shark Tank buy into the idea?) with something as difficult to prove such as an improvement in a guitar's tone. Step one might be having something that consistently, and closely emulates, how a guitar is picked and strummed, an engineering challenge in itself.

'Appreciate the vote of confidence, Mo'Pick, but it would most likely be a tall task to be as laid-back about how the guitar-in-hand sounds as you are- I still really enjoy listening to these wooden boxes- it's just that I'm not (currently) into the super sustainy, overtone laden sound. Ask me again same time next year, who knows what the answer will be.

Are you running it with the guitar in the stand to let the whole guitar vibrate? Might be a good idea to have something between the nitro finish and the rubber/foam of the stand just to be safe.

The folks who make the Tone-Rite have a real challenge trying to get acceptance for their device; to have the passion and confidence to want to move forward with making it, (would the investors on the show Shark Tank buy into the idea?) with something as difficult to prove such as an improvement in a guitar's tone. Step one might be having something that consistently, and closely emulates, how a guitar is picked and strummed, an engineering challenge in itself.

May I add 2 cents to this?

Our only REAL challenge is having people try the device for themselves, instead of paying attention to the claims of people who have never used our products because they "think" it won't work. Are we passionate about our products? HELL YEAH! It is our baby!!! And even though people decide to bash it without even trying it is, well, their decision. Everyone is entitled to talk and share what they "think" is good or not. In fact, we created this device so people could be more expressive (musically speaking), so we definitely will not try to shut anyone down. Would it be amazing if people tried it before discouraging others from buying it? you betcha! but as of now that is just a dream. We can all dream a bit right? ;)

To your mention of a device that "consistently" emulates picking... we hear you brother. But that itself brings many challenges. For example, emulate... whose picking? out of 10 people, you'll be lucky to find two people who pick the same way, and I guarantee the remaining 8 or 9 would say that is the wrong way of picking anyways hehe. Second: this device might be waaay larger that our current unit (we have tried it, MANY times) and well, it brings other challenges - like being more costly to produce. Third: what is the ultimate physical result of string picking anyways? Isn't it string vibration? well, that is exactly what the ToneRite does!

But we do sincerely appreciate the ideas and involvement. This surely fuels our R&D department and it allows us to get better and better for our current and future products.

Thanks a million for the suggestions

Warm regards,

Guille

Just as a suggestion,

If you are committed to a 10-day regimen, it will probably be a better idea to do 5 days nonstop at high, and 5 days between 40 and 60%. The key to this is 'nonstop' 10-days. Generally at this time of the year, if it is really cold where you are we would recommend to extend the treatment. Rushed treatments will definitely return rushed results.

All the Best,

Guille

Edited by Guille-ToneRite

It looks like I was misunderstood- and the appeal of having the strings actually being played by something (and it's being closer to how guitars are actually played, vs household supply voltage frequency) skipped my mind. When that was mentioned in post 44, it was because a repeatable, consistent guitar playing machine would seem to be a great help in recording, and measuring graphically, the changes before and after Tone-Rite treatment, not affected by human playing the before/after, with subtle differences such as picking intensity, location on the strings, pick grip tightness, etc coloring the test. If those results could be presented by an unbiased testing lab, it would give Tone-Rite a big advantage in getting the device out more in common use.

Sorry for any confusion. And yes, I own a Tone-Rite.