Gibson Brands Forums

Does Tone-Rite really work?

NJ Tom

• 11 months later...

I play Classical Guitar, bought the tonerite and used it in a brand new spruce, asymmetric bracing top, cocobolo back classical guitar, and it did enhanced the volume and tone. sweeter tone, more volume, i highly recommend it

if you stop using it, the magic will be gone

On 12/24/2018 at 6:30 PM, Dallon426 said:

If you have an electric sander you can put a towel down on the top of the guitar and turn it on while moving around the guitar. There's a reason old guitars sound great. And I reason why guitars open up. It's from natural aging and from the wood moving. Get that wood moving.

That is one factor, the other is aging...

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/24/2019 at 10:52 PM, Renee123 said:

I play Classical Guitar, bought the tonerite and used it in a brand new spruce, asymmetric bracing top, cocobolo back classical guitar, and it did enhanced the volume and tone. sweeter tone, more volume, i highly recommend it

if you stop using it, the magic will be gone

Hi there!! awesome to hear you got great results. 

As a note: If you continue to play your instrument for at least 5 hours a week the "magic" will stay. You esentially pick up where the Tonerite left off and your playing alone will be enough to keep the audible gains.  See, the wood that makes-up your instrument is constantly reacting to the environment around it. If you stop playing for a prolonged amount of time then it will start to stiffen. how quickly? well that depends on your climate and abrupt changes in temperature and if your case leaves inside or outside a case. 

On 11/26/2019 at 10:18 AM, Violeiro said:

Strum your guitar for 5 minutes /day, with no reason or rhyme, and it will do the work you need for free 🙂

If you find this to be safe you should try and let us know your results! I personally think it would be a great experiment 🙂

But apples to apples, I truly doubt a 5-minute treatment would compare to our recommended 2-week nonstop initial treatment with different intensity combinations.

But again... I'd love to hear about your results. Keep us posted!!

- your friends @ ToneRite USA 

On 11/26/2019 at 10:19 AM, Violeiro said:

That is one factor, the other is aging...

I think you have a valid point here, but I will tell you we have successfully helped vintage instrument recover their sonic luster or even improve their tone altogether. And we don't stop at guitars We have helped a 200-year-old violin get rid of certain high frequencies that it's owner claim couldn't get rid off for years, even when the instrument was played everyday. If you would like to hear more about Professor Chang's testimonial I'd be more than happy to share. Oh and he is not made up by any means - anyone can check him out and all of his accolades online.

Wei Tsun Chang, D.M.A
Professor of Violin
Tennessee Tech University
School of Music 
On 11/26/2019 at 1:11 PM, thegreatgumbino said:

The ToneRite works great to break in the Martin Retro strings on my guitars.  I keep the ToneRite on after a re-string (when I'm not playing) to take out the harshness more quickly. 12-24 hours and the Retro's are ready to go.

Happy to hear you have come up with another use for the ToneRite. I am sharing this one 😉

----------

Happy holidays everybody!

And we hope that even when surrounded by friends and family you find time to play your instrument. It can actually be the best time to do so.  🙂

much love to all.

- Guille

6 hours ago, Guille-ToneRite said:

See, the wood that makes-up your instrument is constantly reacting to the environment around it. If you stop playing for a prolonged amount of time then it will start to stiffen. how quickly? well that depends on your climate and abrupt changes in temperature and if your case leaves inside or outside a case. 

Hey - would like to zoom in here.  Could we get some 'estimates' - a bit to measure from and compare own experiences with.  Absolutely agree that woods fall to sleep and can be re-awoken.  But as you are the expert, the thought of  hearing the words from the source seems highly attractive.

Yes - I know it varies from ex to ex, type to type, instrument to instrument, , , still. .  

Good vibes from here ^

On 12/13/2019 at 7:48 PM, E-minor7 said:

Hey - would like to zoom in here.  Could we get some 'estimates' - a bit to measure from and compare own experiences with.  Absolutely agree that woods fall to sleep and can be re-awoken.  But as you are the expert, the thought of  hearing the words from the source seems highly attractive.

Yes - I know it varies from ex to ex, type to type, instrument to instrument, , , still. .  

Good vibes from here ^

Sure thing! I'll give you an Example and an honest bonus note.

here is an example: We are in Florida, and even though it is mostly hot all the time (sorry, not trying to rub it in 😉 ) humidity does have a huge impact on instruments, particularly during rainy months, which is pretty much half the year.  I like to have quick access to  my guitars and love the look of them out of the case so they are expose to the air-conditioned temperature inside the house, roughly 73 - 75 degrees. In this scenario, a ToneRite-treated guitar can hold their tonal characteristics for about 3 months before they start closing up. But again, if you play that same guitar a few times a week consistently, the sonic characteristics you gained from the ToneRite treatment will stay forever, or until you stop playing the guitar.

Now keep in mind this is true with or without a ToneRite in the picture. Not playing an instrument for months at a time will cause changes in the way an instrument "feels" and sounds.

Now here's an honest bonus - We would never say the ToneRite is the miracle to EVERY guitar ever invented under the sun. I, for one, don't believe one thing can be the cure for everything in any field. There are many guitars a ToneRite can have 0 impact on and, to be transparent and not let any of you have wrong expectations, I will share a few of those examples. 

- an all laminate construction instrument. While we frequently encounter good results with laminate back and side guitars, guitars that are completely made of laminate wood see very little to no benefits from a ToneRite treatment. The reason is all the glue used to put together this laminations. there simply isn't enough wood for a toneRite to work properly. If you don't like the sound of your 100% laminated guitar and think a ToneRite will make it sound amazing... don't buy a ToneRite. honestly don't. 

- carbon fiber instruments and Applause/Ovations will see almost no gains "sonically" speaking . Yes, Ovation/Applause guitars were created to be impervious to the elements and so the ToneRite has little chance to alter sonic characteristics here. same applies to carbon fiber guitars. HOWEVER, if you have a ToneRite around, use it on these instruments to improve the feel on the neck, if the necks are indeed made of solid wood. I would NOT recommend buying a ToneRite for this though, unless you are truly ONLY looking to enhance the feel of the instrument, not its sound. 

- Torrefied Martin top guitars. Every now and then, a torrefied-top Martin guitar owner says the ToneRite helped open up their instrument; however the feedback we have primarily gotten over the last few years, is that the ToneRite has little effect on these guitars. Something about the process makes these guitars really stable sonically-speaking and therefore their sound is hard to alter.  Just being truthful ere so take that into consideration. 

Why am I talking about other brands here in the Gibson forum? well, simply because I think we all have other instruments besides our beloved Gibsons. Gibsons are in fact great ToneRite platforms because they are mainly made of solid wood. We continue to see great results with J15s, J200s, Hummingbirds, 335s,  L00 ... you name it. But beware that the treatent for each of this instruments can be very different.

Wow this got lengthy.

Next time, in "ToneRite - the series" (watch out Netflix) if anyone is interested I could talk about other applications for the ToneRite and how to formulate the right treatment for your specific guitar. 

-Guille

• Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 1:01 PM, Guille-ToneRite said:

If you find this to be safe you should try and let us know your results! I personally think it would be a great experiment 🙂

But apples to apples, I truly doubt a 5-minute treatment would compare to our recommended 2-week nonstop initial treatment with different intensity combinations.

But again... I'd love to hear about your results. Keep us posted!!

- your friends @ ToneRite USA 

Are you saying it is "safer" to use your product than it is to strum the guitar (do what the guitar was actually built to do)? 😂

Sorry, thanks but no thanks. I wasn't a fan before, now that just sealed the deal 🙄

Edited by Violeiro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Violeiro said:

Are you saying it is "safer" to use your product than it is to strum the guitar (do what the guitar was actually built to do)? 😂

Sorry, thanks but no thanks. I wasn't a fan before, now that just sealed the deal 🙄

LOLZ sorry!! that was supposed to be the response to the comment about attaching an electric sander to the guitar. This one: "If you have an electric sander you can put a towel down on the top of the guitar and turn it on while moving around the guitar. " That's why I was calling it an experiment. Still, apologies for the confusion. 

Now if I may... can I understand why the comment about not being a fan before? I would truly love to understand what led you to that conclusion. I totally get not liking us (it's your right!) but I would like to take a second here to say that it feels like there's a lot of hate out there for our products. If you tried our products and they didn't work for you I'd like to extend our apologies if for any reason you felt it didn't bring results for you. I hope you contacted us to get your money back; It is our guarantee after all. If you didn't, please let me know and I will honor that today even if you're past the time.  things happen, I get it - we are also human over on this side of the computer and we can create solutions for our customers. 

The part I don't really get (and please understand I am not saying this is your case) is some people bad-mouthing a product they have never interacted with. I wish we could all first give everyone and every company the benefit of the doubt before sharing negative opinions about things we haven't tried or experienced first-hand.  Again friend, this is not directed to you, I am simply sharing my personal thoughts on this overall.  

I would love to end this comment by saying thank you for interacting with me on this. You didn't have to spend your time answering yet you did and I am greatly thankful you did and allowed met to correct my mistake when picking comments to quote. When I set out to join this forum, the sole intention was to help answer questions to ToneRite owners and people that were maybe interested or simply had ideas to share. But maybe my presence here is becoming an obstacle to our American freedom of sharing negative comments. Please let me know if that is the case and I will gladly move along. No hard feelings everyone. 

Warm regards and happy holidays. 

Guille

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Guille-ToneRite said:

LOLZ sorry!! that was supposed to be the response to the comment about attaching an electric sander to the guitar. This one: "If you have an electric sander you can put a towel down on the top of the guitar and turn it on while moving around the guitar. " That's why I was calling it an experiment. Still, apologies for the confusion. 

Now if I may... can I understand why the comment about not being a fan before? I would truly love to understand what led you to that conclusion. I totally get not liking us (it's your right!) but I would like to take a second here to say that it feels like there's a lot of hate out there for our products. If you tried our products and they didn't work for you I'd like to extend our apologies if for any reason you felt it didn't bring results for you. I hope you contacted us to get your money back; It is our guarantee after all. If you didn't, please let me know and I will honor that today even if you're past the time.  things happen, I get it - we are also human over on this side of the computer and we can create solutions for our customers. 

The part I don't really get (and please understand I am not saying this is your case) is some people bad-mouthing a product they have never interacted with. I wish we could all first give everyone and every company the benefit of the doubt before sharing negative opinions about things we haven't tried or experienced first-hand.  Again friend, this is not directed to you, I am simply sharing my personal thoughts on this overall.  

I would love to end this comment by saying thank you for interacting with me on this. You didn't have to spend your time answering yet you did and I am greatly thankful you did and allowed met to correct my mistake when picking comments to quote. When I set out to join this forum, the sole intention was to help answer questions to ToneRite owners and people that were maybe interested or simply had ideas to share. But maybe my presence here is becoming an obstacle to our American freedom of sharing negative comments. Please let me know if that is the case and I will gladly move along. No hard feelings everyone. 

Guille

Well stated, Guille.  You have a tough job dealing with all the negative comments and seem to handle it well on the forums I frequent.  I share your confusion about people hating on the product when they haven't tried it.  I have one of your products and have seen it's results on several guitars.  I also shared my favorite application, breaking in new strings.  The fact you have a money back guarantee seems like a no brainer to me.  

On 12/16/2019 at 8:54 PM, Guille-ToneRite said:

Torrefied Martin top guitars. Every now and then, a torrefied-top Martin guitar owner says the ToneRite helped open up their instrument; however the feedback we have primarily gotten over the last few years, is that the ToneRite has little effect on these guitars. 

Presume this counts for all torrified guitars, , , and components for that matter.

Thanks for sharing the lines above - they add to the wealth'n'nuance of this Board and should make readers curious.

In my experience an acoustic guitar gets duller within 3 or 4 days of rest.  And is woken up during between 30 minutes and an hour, , , for then to grow better and better. 

Personally I'm very interested in the that sleep-glow-sleep-glow back'n'forth rhythm combined with what happens to our ears. Ears are highly adjustable organs and quickly get used to new sonic standards. If in doubt just check how fast they accept a badder sounding record (or even a mushy old casette) after hearing a superb ditto.  

1 hour ago, thegreatgumbino said:

Well stated, Guille.  You have a tough job dealing with all the negative comments and seem to handle it well on the forums I frequent.  I share your confusion about people hating on the product when they haven't tried it.  I have one of your products and have seen it's results on several guitars.  I also shared my favorite application, breaking in new strings.  The fact you have a money back guarantee seems like a no brainer to me.  

Agree - some people really get value out of these gadgets and the topic remains intriguing and hot.  Mr Guille sees  things from both sides and wisely keep from foaming over. Well, at least to our knowledge, , , maybe he goes out kickboxing 4 times a week.  It's called passion-spiced professionalism. 

17 hours ago, Guille-ToneRite said:

Guille

I understand what you are saying. I thought your comment was directed to my comment (since that what you quoted) about simply playing the guitar vs using the product - I got that mostly from the comment you made, and I quote - "But apples to apples, I truly doubt a 5-minute treatment would compare to our recommended 2-week nonstop initial treatment with different intensity combinations."

I have no experience with the product, and honestly no really interest in trying - hence the reason I said I am not a fan. I don't have anything negative to say about the product, and I hope you are very successful. I have read people giving good reviews, and that is great. Also, all guitars I have (without exception) have baked tops...so....

Thanks for taking your time to reply and explain the context of your comment, really appreciate it. Good luck again!

• Like 1