Gibson Brands Forums

J45 all walnut

Mr. Paul

That is VERY cool. I’d like to hear some more flatpicking/rhythm stuff from the reviewer and it was very focused on the Django influenced lead/chord melody that is obviously both his natural style and what the guitar lends itself to, but on that evidence it’s very, very sweet.

If they have one on hand when I’m at Wildwood in June to collect my Maple AJ, I’ll be sure to play it and report back!

You must be one of those trolls Henry warned me about

Kidding aside, this was the first Gibson RW I bought in search of the perfect Gibson RW for me. It did not stay very long. I wound up trading it in on a J200 RW thats still here. I think when I got the Stage Deluxe RW, it satisfied my search.

I think a Stage Deluxe RW would satisfy a lot of searches. I just wish it had a more user-friendly neck profile, if it's as wide as the specs. I already have one Luthier's Choice neck, and it's just a bit wider than ideal for me.

I think a Stage Deluxe RW would satisfy a lot of searches. I just wish it had a more user-friendly neck profile, if it's as wide as the specs. I already have one Luthier's Choice neck, and it's just a bit wider than ideal for me.

Stage Deluxe sports the only new Gibson neck I've played that was a deal killer.

I played one of the four yesterday. What a fun, fun guitar. As suggested in the video, it had the biggest bottom end of any guitar I've ever played, by a lot. Nick nailed it in his comment below, that this outrageous low end came at the expense of articulation on the highs and upper mids. If I owned a lot of guitars this would be a fun one to have ... a big, fat low end rhythm machine. Loved it. A gorgeous guitar, it attracted A lot of attention from folks when it was out. In the end, 'twas a bit too specialized for an everyday rig.

On the long drive home I was listening to an old tape of a JJ Cale show, one killer groove after another, and kept thinking the walnut J45 would be right at home with those chunky rhythms.

Also played a 12 fret SJ "Ultimate" that didn't work for me, seemed subdued and lacking focus.

Well, that's different, but in a good way: warm, and full, without being muddy.

But to my ear it lacks the articulation and upper/mid range projection of a spruce/hog J-45.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Walnut is my preferred choice of tone. It's awesome! Better than either 'Hog or RW.

I wish I could narrow it down to one tone wood. I could save a lot of money, but it wouldn’t be as much fun.

Archived