Gibson Brands Forums

Es 339 vs Pro vs... ?

SaxonDad

Alright, then....

Showed up yesterday, gave it a day to 'marinate' in the box, unpacked it and plugged it in.

Fit and finish were all good, no shipping damage that I could see, but it was quite a bit out of tune. No biggie.

Coil splitting does seem to add a bit of noise. My Ibanez also has a bit with the same cable, etc, and my playing space is a hopeless tangle of wires/extension cords, etc. I need to clean it up.

The thing has very nice depth of tone, much broader I think than my Ibby, and really crunches with a little hair on it. Intonation is solid up and down the neck, and sustain is excellent.

The strings feel a little metallic and stiff to me - I may switch them out with some D'Angelico's. Not super happy with the action at F12, I'll see if my local luthier (authorized Gibson) can help there. I don't see any bowing with the neck, but what do I know?

Feel like to really need to explore this instrument and find its tonal sweet spots, and set up some patches in my Mustang V3 II that suit it. It's quite different from my Ibby.

Overall, B+ out of the box, and looking forward to a good setup and many happy hours. Happy Old Guy here. Thx for all the help, and any advice is welcome.

Pic below, with my Taylor photobombing. :)

343R0IF.jpg

congrats! looks great.. you will have much fun.

You mentioned you needed to find a case.. Check out Silver Creek or Gator Journey Man if you don't want to go with the Epi case.

btw: I've had a few V1 mustangs, (IV and still have a III) if not for nothing, pretty versitile practice amp. I've recently added a Marshall Code 50, that is pretty cool too. These kind of amps are for everyone, they wont replace my tube amps, but they are a lot of fun and provide a ton of usable sounds

Looks really good, beautiful guitar. I would let it acclimate for about week before taking it to see your luthier, a change to cold weather can effect the truss rod adjustments. Also it was interesting to see that the "ES 339 Pro" has upgraded Deluxe Tuners with nut bushings over what the "ES 339 P-90 Pro" has. Any way it looks beautiful, Happy Birthday.[thumbup]

Well, too late. I just got back - guy said it looks good, neck ok. He dropped the action a bit for (he admitted it was too high), but he did say to play it a bit and let it acclimate, and then bring it back for a full setup later if I wanted.

Right now, after a bridge tweak, it feels great.

Well, too late. I just got back - guy said it looks good, neck ok. He dropped the action a bit for (he admitted it was too high), but he did say to play it a bit and let it acclimate, and then bring it back for a full setup later if I wanted.

Right now, after a bridge tweak, it feels great.

Its good that you had it checked because Epiphone usually ships with the truss rod loose. But since you bought it from a vendor, they would have set it up a bit..

Living in Aloha land, its very humid here, I am finding that my Epiphone's deal with weather better than my Gibson's. With climate change going on I'm getting temps in the 60's to high 90's in the same week, but that's Island life.. I'm looking at more Epiphone's in my future.. Enjoy your 339 Pro it looks beautiful...

• 2 weeks later...

Just to followup...I was still dissatisfied with the guitar's action after visiting my luthier the day I opened it up, so I brought to a second guy here in town. On initial look, he was skeptical he'd be able to improve it much, as it appeared to be just about at Gibson spec.

But he said to leave it, so I did. Came back two days later, took it home and -wow-, the thing plays like a dream now. Even cleaned up the signal buzz I was getting.

The thing is darn near perfect now...and I got it back just in time to pack a bag and fly to Ohio for a week, leaving it behind. Grrr !!!!!

But a happy guy, and looking forward to making a bit of music-like sounds when I get back.

Cheers, everyone.

Epiphone's sometimes take some tweaking before they reach their optimum performance. I buy most of mine online and its 50/50 on how well they been setup. I have had the best luck buying from music stores that have had them hanging on the wall for a while and have been set up, like my Artic White 61 SG Special was perfect when I received it. I also have a Black Ebony 61 SG Special that had never been played or setup, when I checked the truss rod it was completely loose and came out attached to my allen wrench. I have several Epiphone's each one a different story, about 30% of them required very little tweaking. But the rest, after a few adjustments and allowing them to stabilize to my environment, all play excellent now. [thumbup]

Enjoy your 339 Pro it should last for a very long time.......

Archived