Gibson Brands Forums

My Lowden Is Now Electric!

BluesKing777

I made a short test track to play on another forum, but I thought to post it here for the people interested in pickups and preamps.

When I bought the Lowden S35, it had a weirdo pickup in it already but the second and first strings kind of went boing, boing and sounded out of phase or something. So it was ripped out.

So the story, shortened, is that I had a K&K Mini pickup installed in my 1993 Lowden S35. The luthier is so busy that I have waited about 4 weeks, after waiting another 3 or 4 weeks for the Cargill custom to get a K&K as well. These are high end guitars and it is a nervy thing to have them sitting at a workshop all this time, but they have done a great job and it has been worth it!

So I have tortured the poor thing in all manner of mixers and preamps and amps to see what it does, but here is a recording of the guitar pickup run through Tonedexter with the wavemap I made of it:

BluesKing777.

BK,

Excellent playing and great sound from your Lowden!

I'm new to the Lowden experience myself but have an O-25 and an O-35 and they are so different, in a really good way. They make me put the pick down and work the old fingers instead.

Thanks Quake and Jalex!

I said to the Better Half that some of the rest can go after getting this pickup done, but she just laughed.

But truth is, I have turned a corner of guitar ownership....before I had a guitar like this for ‘acoustic only’ and other cheaper guitars with pickups. But we are getting old and why not play the best ones? And to me that includes plugged in.......with the necks I want...big fat things....

BluesKing777.

You will

We all know you will

I might not!

Pluses...easy, just plug in, no real drilling, should sound good in Tonedexter preamp, amp, PA.

Minuses....guitar may just fall apart - the last straw for the poor thing, and..would I actually take it anywhere?

BluesKing777.

Archived