Gibson Brands Forums

Alex Lifeson ES-355

alpine

Hey enduroexpert, I have to agree that this is pretty much the last new Gibson I'll ever buy as well. The Custom Shop stuff is great, but their run of the mill stuff is pretty weak and I couldn't care less for it. I love my Jimmy Page Signature, my '58 VOS and hopefully soon the Alex ES-355, but I'm done! Like I said before, the Custom Shop stuff is great, but this whole ordeal has left some bad blood! I just can't look at Gibson as a company the same. Assuming of course this is their fault. Even if it isn't, they should be handling this in a much different manner. Bad press. Word of mouth can make or break you. Gibson is doing a good job of shooting themselves in the foot!

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey enduroexpert' date=' I have to agree that this is pretty much the last new Gibson I'll ever buy as well. The Custom Shop stuff is great, but their run of the mill stuff is pretty weak and I couldn't care less for it. I love my Jimmy Page Signature, my '58 VOS and hopefully soon the Alex ES-355, but I'm done! Like I said before, the Custom Shop stuff is great, but this whole ordeal has left some bad blood! I just can't look at Gibson as a company the same. Assuming of course this is their fault. Even if it isn't, they should be handling this in a much different manner. Bad press. Word of mouth can make or break you. Gibson is doing a good job of shooting themselves in the foot!

[/quote']That Jimmy Page sure is a nice Signature model, your not wrong.....Mmmmm, maybe one day.

Your right about the standard run of guitars from Gibson these days, the new gear hanging from the walls in Sound Control over here in the UK is terrible for the money your having to hand over. I got a new Tokai Japanese Love Rock a couple of years back after searching for a Les Paul Standard around the £1200 - £1500 mark. The Tokai as a general overall guitar blew me away and it was half the price, they really have to up the mark at Gibson cause they're really gonna lose a lot of custom.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a new Gibson Les Paul Std to go with my 1980 Les Paul Deluxe, but if I have to buy a Custom Shop model just to get a good quality value for money instrument, then I'll look elswhere.

Heritage, ESP & PRS come to mind as my alternative choices for the future for quality off the shelf guitars. Custom Shop stuff is still sweet though as you say.........

So this is an email alert/update released on April 16th from Musicians Friend that was sent out to those holding orders: Now if Gibson didnt comunicate this to them apparently they made it up? Who ever is the Manager of the project for this build of the Alex Lifeson please give an update on the status to your dealers sales reps Thats the least we could ask....

Dear :

Thanks again for your order .

We've just heard from our supplier that the backordered

item(s) shown below are now due to arrive at our warehouse

at a later date.

Backordered Items:

Item: 516139 026 03 GIBSON MMPHS ALEX LIFESON ES-355 SMI-HLW ALPN WHT

Previous Date: 20080416

New Date:20080430

We realize this is different than you were originally

quoted and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this

may cause. We know that waiting can be frustrating but please

know that we are working to get your complete order to you.

If you have any questions, please contact customer service

at 1-800-776-5173. We're here 24/7 to help.

Thanks again for choosing Musician's Friend and please

accept our apology for this additional delay.

Dealers are in the dark too.....

Gibson don't supply direct to the dealers in the US....? They ship to a wholesaler first who then distributes to the dealers in the high street.....?

Lovely, even more chance of Communication Breakdowns, this just gets better..........

We should have a "sweepstake" on the arrival of these guitars, if anyone is up for it.....? Obviously honesty will play a big part in a game of this sort.

If everyone involved picks a month from May-December inclusive and lets say a $10 bet/person; whoever gets the correct delivery month wins the pot......? What do folk reckon.....? Paypal seems to be a fair & popular way to send your winnings to the lucky winner, proceeds could also go to a charity of choice online also or even a nice new strap for your Lifeson Sig....!!!!!!!!!

Anyone....?

The guitar was announced in January and it's now only mid-April. Isn't this usually about the time stuff announced at NAMM starts coming out? It's not really all that late.

Plus, Admin has actually been pretty forthcoming in terms of info. He said that it's last minute stuff that needs to be dealt with and that he's confident it'll ship in the very near future. What more do we want? Until that stuff is wrapped up, Gibson doesn't know when it'll ship. "Very soon" is good enough for me.

No I didn't! I said that if he was advocating kickin' NUTS as a general principle (i.e. nothing to do with Gibson, just as a general way of life) then I 'd be right there with them. But I like Gibson for putting this guitar out and am all for positivity here. I'd be nice if Admin would post the news of the shipping as soon as he got it. It's not like Gibson has a secret ship date and is keeping it from us just to torture us. They're motivated to get the guitar out ASAP. We all want the same thing here, don't we?

Hello all Lifeson fans (you all have amazing taste!)

This is my first ever post on this forum.

First off, Gibson should be giving us a date and a reason for the holdup.

I don't understand how they can just keep people hanging on like this...without saying a word!

I've heard everything from "there's a problem with the finish" to "there's a disagreement between Gibson and Lifeson" Gibson should come out, be straightforward and tell us what the hold up is. I've paid for my guitar, and it's no surprise that they've all been sold. It's a beauty for sure.

I'm thinking of heading down to Nashville with Alex and kicking someone in the nuts (anyone here remember Naples Florida?) Don't **** with big Al!!

: )

LET'S GO ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess what I'm saying is, we have no choice but to wait, but Gibson shouldn't be keeping quiet during all of this - tell us what the problem is!

Alex Lifeson - the most underrated guitar player ever!

I once ordered a guitar from let's say Company X. They refused to ship the guitar to me (production problems, as soon as possible, blah blah blah - I knew that wasn't true and that they were just jerking me around) so I bought a airline ticket and flew to their factory. I figured that if I kicked some *** there, they'd get their act together. It cost me $2500 roundtrip and I had to stay overnight in Minneapolis because I missed my second connecting flight, but I figured it'd be worth it.

I'd been waiting for months for the guitar and the flight down there was terrible so I was really burning mad when I walked through the front door. I started screaming at the receptionist "WHOSE *** DO I HAVE TO KICK TO GET MY EFFING GUITAR?" She tried to calm me down but I figured that the time for reason was over. I kept pounding on the desk and yelling at her to go and get my guitar.

So of course she calls security. Outta nowhere a couple guys come at me. They were probably a couple of Company X's luthiers, to judge by the looks of them. Pretty much right away, these two guys have my coat pulled up over my head. My arms are straight up in the air and I can't see a thing. Then they went to work on my midsection. Ham-sized fists are really doing a number on me. Each blow knocked the wind out of me but I did manage to sputter "why don't you goons go back there and finish making my guitar?"

Then someone maced me and I was thrown out the front door. I went home without my guitar. When I got home, there was a message from my local music store saying that the guitar had come in. I'd spent $2500 to get my *** kicked.

THE END

I once ordered a guitar from let's say Company X. They refused to ship the guitar to me (production problems' date=' as soon as possible, blah blah blah - I knew that wasn't true and that they were just jerking me around) so I bought a airline ticket and flew to their factory. I figured that if I kicked some *** there, they'd get their act together. It cost me $2500 roundtrip and I had to stay overnight in Minneapolis because I missed my second connecting flight, but I figured it'd be worth it.

I'd been waiting for months for the guitar and the flight down there was terrible so I was really burning mad when I walked through the front door. I started screaming at the receptionist "WHOSE *** DO I HAVE TO KICK TO GET MY EFFING GUITAR?" She tried to calm me down but I figured that the time for reason was over. I kept pounding on the desk and yelling at her to go and get my guitar.

So of course she calls security. Outta nowhere a couple guys come at me. They were probably a couple of Company X's luthiers, to judge by the looks of them. Pretty much right away, these two guys have my coat pulled up over my head. My arms are straight up in the air and I can't see a thing. Then they went to work on my midsection. Ham-sized fists are really doing a number on me. Each blow knocked the wind out of me but I did manage to sputter "why don't you goons go back there and finish making my guitar?"

Then someone maced me and I was thrown out the front door. I went home without my guitar. When I got home, there was a message from my local music store saying that the guitar had come in. I'd spent $2500 to get my *** kicked.

THE END[/quote']Thats fantastic, you and me should do a night on the ale mate, sounds like your as daft as me............!!!!!biggrin.gif/

Was the receptionist tasty though............????

In the Mood, Freewill, Limelight & Red Barchetta............in that order....!!!!

Also.........

Has anyone else found that since the first whisperings of this Lifeson Signature model was to be released, that their:

1) Rush back catalogue of records have been played more than ever.....

2) Ability to play the tunes you already knew have improved immensley and now you a wanna start a tribute band so that you can show them off....

3) Started to learn the tunes you once never gave too much thought to in the past, and now realise they're some of the most enjoyable Rush tunes to knock out of your guitar

4) Are secretley considering test driving the H & K signature head....

I am all of the above............

Enduroexpert - yes to all of the above! I especially want to try the H&K Lifeson TriAmp, even though it would be severe overkill for the small clubs I play. Do you know if there any differences (besides the purple lighting & croc tolex) between the Lifeson & the standard TriAmp?

Superdick2112

The H&K is overkill for home or small clubs, but it sounds great

I have the TriAmp running into a 2x12 marshall cab and have to run it with a THD hotplate to keep from blowing the paint off the walls in my house.

The only differences I can see or know of on the Lifeson one is the purple lighting , croc tolex , upgraded tubes, and his name on it.

The 355 is going to sound great with it.

Good afternoon all,

I am new to this forum and only found out about it as a result from searching for info about the AL-ES-355 LTD. I just ordered mine, to not cause a moment of grief for anyone, but you should know that I was told the end of June, maybe July. Sorry~

Good afternoon all' date='

I am new to this forum and only found out about it as a result from searching for info about the AL-ES-355 LTD. I just ordered mine, to not cause a moment of grief for anyone, but you should know that I was told the end of June, maybe July. Sorry~[/quote']

By whom? The Canadian distributor told me early May. I'm waiting for word from Gibson. Before we get that, dates supplied from anyone else are just pure speculation...

The shop I'm getting mine from said do NOT believe the gossip on the forums, they'll be here very soon, they're in touch on a daily basis with Gibson apparently.................

Superdick2112 - I've never even looked at the spec of the H & K nevermind differences in the spec but I'm mighty curious now after Crappy's comments......

Have a top weekend all and drink plenty proper ale.....................!!!!!

Johnny

Good morning,

As I stated, my input wasn't intended to cause any upset, it is only what I was told. I have be "promised" from my supplier that he would keep me current as he hears any info. I tend to agree with enduroexpert, we shouldn't take to much that is shared on any forum as reality. It seems as though my attempt to share has caused more upset than I had intended, I'll drop out of this forum. May you all receive your new axes very quickly.

Kindest regards,

ELR

This will be my first purchase from Gibson custom. When they're limited runs like this, are the guitars actually individually numbered (for example: 187 of 300), is it just part of the serial number, or are there just 300 period but you couldn't tell that just from looking at one guitar?

Archived