Gibson Brands Forums

Reverbnation... ?

Murph

A friend of mine just joined and I've had others mention I should as well. Anyone here a member?

Deep thoughts....

Several years ago an old friend/gigging partner from the 70's/early 80's entered my mind at work. I simply googled his name and was shocked to see his obituary pop up. It really was painful and co-workers felt bad and stuff. Later that evening when I got home I searched around and found some "Myspace" and "YouTube" videos of him and it was nice. Not the best video quality, just some live stuff, but IT WAS NICE.

I realized other than the Double Aught project, there wasn't much audio/video on record of me and my original songs should I suddenly DIE. Dozens of copyrighted songs would perhaps lay in a drawer and scattered around on cd's and nobody would even know what a cd was in a few years......

So I started putting some stuff on YouTube and Soundcloud simply as a vault of some of my music. No illusions of grandeur.

Glancing at Reverbnation, it looks like a worthy resource for someone trying to pound out a career in the music/songwriting business although I would think the majority of users will be other musicians and not so much the fan base that most members are looking to build.

Your thoughts?

For me it has been a great resource. I place song samples, pics, concert footage - its a great link to send to promote yourself to a venue who want to check your reportoire out. And its free ! btw: the link to our RN site is at the bottom of my signature if you want to take a peek.

Together with a Facebook page and Youtube channel its a great package for promotion.

It depends on what you want. I am a working musician with my own domain name and website. The website is free, but obviously the domain name costs money.

For the duo Crossing Canal we use reverbnation as our "Official Website" and it works well for us for promotional purposes. You can post songs, videos and gigs (with maps to the venue) then link the site to the your band site on Facebook. I'm not sure if the Russians dig our act. 😀

SoundCloud is great for sharing mp3s, but I don't find it useful in a professional capacity.

For the duo Crossing Canal we use reverbnation as our "Official Website" and it works well for us for promotional purposes. You can post songs, videos and gigs (with maps to the venue) then link the site to the your band site on Facebook. I'm not sure if the Russians dig our act. 😀

I noticed the "GIGs" section on his page. I can see where that could be handy for a fan base if he's actually using it as a quasi web page.

I also noticed it has the option to "buy" the uploads for $ 1.29. I know for a fact his songs are not ASCAP/BMI licensed because I've been down that road with the DOUBLE AUGHT project, so I have no idea how THAT scenario works with Reverbnation. Nor the I.R.S. I don't know if they'll 1099 him for any sales or what the income statement would look like.

I think if I was going to do another project for retail, I would probably go back with cd baby where you get your songs on iTunes and Google Play, you simply don't get much of the money..........

<_<

I noticed the "GIGs" section on his page. I can see where that could be handy for a fan base if he's actually using it as a quasi web page.

I also noticed it has the option to "buy" the uploads for $ 1.29. I know for a fact his songs are not ASCAP/BMI licensed because I've been down that road with the DOUBLE AUGHT project, so I have no idea how THAT scenario works with Reverbnation. Nor the I.R.S. I don't know if they'll 1099 him for any sales or what the income statement would look like.

I think if I was going to do another project for retail, I would probably go back with cd baby where you get your songs on iTunes and Google Play, you simply don't get much of the money..........

<_<

On our site, the link to buy takes you to CD Baby. We also have links to pages that will take you to other platforms. With CD Baby you do get about 90% of the sale. With iTunes only 66%.

We register our original material on ASCAP/BMI, and of course also registered with the U.S. Copyright Office when our CD came out. Big Money, Murph! 😀

I just clicked on his "buy now" button and it's not a link, just asking for credit card info and agreeing to Reverbnations something or other. I then backed out because I'm not a member of Reverbnation, nor did I want to buy at this time. I'm on a desktop now, so I guess it would just download the version of the song that is on their site.

We register our original material on ASCAP/BMI, and of course also registered with the U.S. Copyright Office when our CD came out. Big Money, Murph! 😀

Yep, we did that with the DOUBLE AUGHT c.d. as well, and then I had dozens and dozens of other originals copyrighted which are now on YouTube and Soundcloud. To be perfectly honest, I've got some on there now that are NOT copyrighted with the Library Of Congress, but I seriously doubt anybody will go to the bother of stealing any of them.......

Might be fun if they did.

Archived