Gibson Brands Forums

Lead Pro Humbucker

hi13ts

Hi friends, just picked up a Gibson Lead Pro humbucker from my used music shop. It was pretty cheap, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to try it out. It was wound back Nov 2013. I looked online to see what it was and most have said it's a Burstbucker Pro, but no official word. Indeed, it sounds good. Slightly hotter than the 57 Classics with quite a bit more clarity. If you'd tell me it's a BB Pro, I'd certainly be convinced. I went through a bit of a journey with my SG Original, starting out with stock 57 Classics, then moving onto the 496R/500T hot ceramic duo, then realizing that it was WAY too hot and not at all nuanced, I wanted to go back to PAFs, but was not happy with the overt warmness and mud of the 57 Classic pair. I was looking at the BB2&3 pair, but found this unexpectedly and didn't think it would hurt to try. I put the 57 Classic back on the neck with the Lead Pro on the bridge. So far, the combo is very satisfactory. Would like to know more about it for sure. Thanks in advance.

The Lead Pro is the Burstbucker Pro bridge pickup. Its uneven wind like the Burstbuckers but has an Alnico 5 magnet and wax potting. I believe most are coil splittable. Does it have a sticker on the back of the pickup?

I have a pair of Burstbuckers (#1 and #2) and they are the most amazing pickups I've heard. No mud what so ever. Handles gain just fine unless I'm going for Slayer. Mine are not wax potted and have a nice natural microphonic feedback when really pushed.

Yes, the sticker in the back says "Lead Pro - 11/8/13" and a Patent Applied For sticker along with it. So far so good. I'm convinced it's a BB Pro. I use to have a Les Paul Studio Faded with BB Pros and there's a grate-y hotness to them. It's a crisper gain and most definitely on the treble end. Sounds great on the SG. The 57 in the neck position does well as it seems to have more mids, and of course, is more balanced. If I find a BB Pro neck pickup, I might consider putting that on instead. Thanks for the affirmation.

I've only played the BBs (1,2,and 3) on a handful of guitars in the shop. I haven't spent enough time to form an opinion based on my hands-on experience, but from what I've heard on Youtube and such, it sounds great. However, I played an ES-335 with the MHS pickups that were pretty mind-blowing. I wouldn't mind finding some to stick in my 335 or even in other guitars.

My new LP Standard HP came with Rhythm Pro and Lead Pro+ pups. I'm not up on Gibson pups and I'd like to read up on them. The OP's post mentioned Lead Pro but it didn't have the + in it. What exactly do my pups translate to? They're sounding pretty good to me, just a little hot.

Archived