Gibson Brands Forums

You know you're getting old when...

SteveFord

Recentley went to Do-It Center for some hardware. When I got to the cashier the first thing she said was "Discount?" I repeated "Discount?" She said "5% off for seniors." Didn't think I looked that old (I'm 61), was like a knife though my heart.

Bronx

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

you strap on a Les Paul and your left arm starts to go numb.

Where's my Firebird, this is ridiculous!

I played my new Classic the other night from 7 PM to 1 AM. I wouldn't have thought two extra pounds would make a difference but going from 8 to 9 pounds to an 11 pound guitar for 6 hours made my left shoulder pretty sore. And, that's with a thick 3 or 4 inch strap but yeah, I'm still feeling it today. Tomorrow and Wednesday, I'll be playing some lighter guitars. But, it sure did sound good! The band loved it.

• 4 years later...
25 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

You know you're getting old when you get birthday spankings and it causes bruising. 

When we were kids, you got 'the bumps' on your birthday. One bump for every year. At our age, it could be fatal.

This example is mild. You're supposed to bump them onto the ground.

• Haha 1

@merciful-evans that's borderline traumatizing, haha! 

How about you know you're old when you have to call the fire department to watch over lighting the birthday candles.  This, or you actually raise the temperature of the house because of the amount of candles...  or, you need a blow torch to get all of the candles before they all melt.  Also, if you need power (backpack) blower to extinguish the candles - hence needing fire dept. again.  😄

...or you look in the mirror and you're grey, haha!  The hair on my scalp has migrated to my face - and back. 

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

@merciful-evans that's borderline traumatizing, haha! 

How about you know you're old when you have to call the fire department to watch over lighting the birthday candles.  This, or you actually raise the temperature of the house because of the amount of candles...  or, you need a blow torch to get all of the candles before they all melt.  Also, if you need power (backpack) blower to extinguish the candles - hence needing fire dept. again.  😄

...or you look in the mirror and you're grey, haha!  The hair on my scalp has migrated to my face - and back. 

Well, aren't YOU the lucky one!

Any of MY hair that hasn't migrated down the drain in the shower has moved to my ears and nostrils.  😱

That candle thing reminded me....

Back when we first got a PC, we got into creating and printing our own greeting cards.(birthday, Anniversary, etc.)  I made one for my oldest brother in law....

The picture on the front was a photo of the Earth taken from the moon.  And on the front of the card I typed, "There are two man made things on Earth that can be seen from outer space.  One is the Great Wall of China, and the second is...."   and when opened it read, "The candles on your birthday cake!"  [thumbup]

Whitefang

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

We were in Dublin, Ireland one time.   Sitting in the hotel lobby with a few friends, when a group of young girls came in....a bride and her bridesmaids.

The were all taking pictures, clowning around, etc.

One of our friends got up to help them take some photos..... as he walked across the lobby his wife said, "Look at Ken....he's going over there with no shoes on!"

My wife said to her, "You're lucky he has his pants on!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, sparquelito said:

I'm turning 64 tomorrow.

Am hoping to have sex while playing guitar.

😗

If we ever meet up make sure to keep that guitar in the case. I don’t want to touch it.

Happy another trip around the Sun.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/25/2023 at 7:25 PM, mihcmac said:

I just turned 73, I don’t understand why people whine about being in their 50’s or 60’s. Sex and playing guitars is great.

I had a great uncle.....He lived in Los Angeles.

My cousin and I were walking with him one day when he was about 89 years old.

He said there are just SO MANY women....."Oh, just to be 65 again!"

• Like 2

On 7/26/2023 at 11:16 AM, sparquelito said:

I'm turning 64 tomorrow.

😗

Happy Birthday and I hope you got your wish......wasn't a solo was it?

[biggrin]

• Haha 1

On 7/26/2023 at 6:16 AM, sparquelito said:

I'm turning 64 tomorrow.

😗

Trade ya.  I'm turning 72 tomorrow(the 28th)

On 7/25/2023 at 10:25 PM, mihcmac said:

I just turned 73, I don’t understand why people whine about being in their 50’s or 60’s. Sex and playing guitars is great.

I usually has sex while playing the guitar.  But what that really means is that I usually f**ked up everything I'd play.  [wink]

Whitefang

• Like 2